OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Do you do silver scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you do silver scopes?
    Posted: April/18/2010 at 08:16
You know, I have never seen a stainless steel rifle with a silver scope and rings at the range.  Every time I see someone with a stainless barrel, they have blue/black mounts/scopes/rings.

But once I did see a guy have a black synthetic Savage, stainless action and barrel, and a set of camo rings and scope.Whacko

"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 09:00
Trying to match the shades of the stainless is where most guys fail.  Its that reason you see more with black rings and mounts than stainless.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 10:47
I do silver scopes, but not silver rings and mounts.

snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 10:55
I have 2 stainless center fire rifles, and one stainless rimfire rifle.
All have matte finish rings and optics.

I tried to run all stainless on the rimfire, and got a set of ringmounts that were silver, but never found a suitable scope in silver I liked. More choices are to be had going the blue / black route.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 11:07

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 12:03
Ask any paint and body guy, silver is the hardest color to match when repairing a car. I did paint and body work working my way through college and dreaded seeing a silver car with a ganked fender. If the car was brand new, it was a lot easier, but let it be a 4 year old car that had sat in the sun and you were screwed. It took a lot less time to shoot the whole car than it did to try to add some white a few drops at a time to simulate fade. Black is a lot easier to match and when it's not a perfect match doesn't scream LOOK AT ME. 
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 12:54

If I'm mounting a silver scope on a stainless barrel/black synth. stock rifle, I go with matte black rings. If a matte scope on same rifle: silver rings; i.e. match rings to barrel finish and opposite scope finish. Might sound weird, but to me looks better in most cases. Problem, however with my new Cooper, which has blued receiver and stainless barrel!Whacko 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 13:03
my aboltII ss 300win mag has leupold rings and a varixII-c 3x9 on it, to bad i dont have any pictures of it.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 13:35
IMO, silver scopes are fugly. Matte is the only way to fly. Who knows, down the road you may switch things around a bit.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 14:24
It's matte for me, silver scopes give the rifle a "washed out " look - too much silver. It's so early 90's! Cool
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 14:29
I have a stainless matte-silver barrel on my 700 SS and I really wish Remington made them darker. I don't care if the scope matches, but the only thing I like to be shiny out in the field is a fishing lure.
Reaction time is a factor...
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 14:31
I like matte black finish.  I cant stand the looks of a big silver tube sitting on top of a hunting rifle.

Steve
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 14:38
  For me,the last thing I'm concerned with when considering a scope is its color. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 16:51
I have matte black scopes on my stainless rifles and like the way they look. On the other hand, a black scope on my Redhawk would look pretty bad. The 2x silver Leo looks pretty good.

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 17:54
my personal favorite is the leupold gun metal gray finish. i think that is sharp.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 20:34
 I just did a SS Savage and put silver base and rings from Leupold and a silver Mueller 8.5-25 eradicator on it.
 First time I ever did all silver and I think it looks pretty good, but more importantly it works.

froggy
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 20:39

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
TCH2FLY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCH2FLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 21:27
I like the matched look and get compliments at the range
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 16:32
Had a Model 70 in 270 Win that came with silver scope, rings and bases.  All were pulled and sold.  I only do black on the scopes, rings and bases...

Edited by brodeur272 - April/25/2010 at 16:33
dallas77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dallas77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 17:19
The only silver scope I have is on my Smith and Wesson 629. I think it looks good all silver!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic