OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thread locker on sunshade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lennyo3034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thread locker on sunshade
    Posted: April/17/2010 at 18:29
I am thinking of putting thread locker to keep my sunshade in place. At the moment, it falls off from recoil every 3-5 shots, which gets annoying. Do you think there would be any adverse effects/reactions with the coated glass if I were to do this?

This is a for a SS 16X42 if it makes a difference.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 18:59

I'd use a wrap or 2 of black electrical tape. No chance of harming the glass, and should keep it together.

Is this the right sunshade? If it is, you might have got a bad one and could give SWFA a call to see about replacement. 

What is it mounted on? Must be a hard kicker to unscrew that fast. Heavy Recoil

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 19:04
My 300 win mag does the same thing to my 16x and sunshade.  I used some plumbing teflon tape to keep mine in place.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 19:30
The teflon is a good none sticky option but, if you do use thread locker be sure to use blue and not red. If you ever want to remove it that is.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Lennyo3034 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lennyo3034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 00:41
Good call on the Teflon, I'll do that. Thanks. It's actually a .308 that kicks surprisingly hard. The rifle weighs about 12 pounds too. Maybe I'm just a Pansy.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 07:20
Originally posted by Lennyo3034 Lennyo3034 wrote:

Maybe I'm just a Pansy.

I doubt that. I did a custom build on a Enfield 308 and though it was a very sharp piece I couldn't enjoy it because it was so unfriendly. I loaned it to a friend that topped out around 240 and he had no problem with its bad manors. Its his now and that cash felt far better in my pocket than a few rounds on my shoulder. Never have understood how that thing was so stout. I've shot 300 win mags that were no problem at all but, that 308 was a bear.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 12:37
What can I say I had a 30-30 wiht a steel but plate that was vicious and I have no problem wiht my .375 H& H  the shape of the stock and weight can make a difference.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 17:09
I had exact opposite problem with ar-15.  it was explained to me with right twisted or rifling the recoil will actually tighten the shade which was my case. before using a adhesive you might try a strap wrench.just a thought
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 17:14
I've have read about the SS sunshade's not locking up tight, but I'll be damned if mine ever loosened.
I like the teflon tape suggestion too.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 18:36
I've used sun shades on my Swaro's and Leupold's many times over. The shades have never loosened, they actually seem to tighten much like what coyote95 explained. I have no experience with the SS or it's sun shade.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 19:44
They need to make them like the oil cap on my Dodge truck.  I can NEVER get that off when I need a quart of oil.  I need a pit crew!!  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 21:43
I don't know if all SS shades are like that but mine would not stay on when i had it on the 16x.....even tried it on the 10x and no dice with the recoil form the 308. I mic'ed the outside diameter of the threads on the shade and the inside of the thread of hte scopes and was a few hundreds off......either way that teflon did the trick so i didn't worry anymore with it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 21:52
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

The teflon is a good none sticky option but, if you do use thread locker be sure to use blue and not red. If you ever want to remove it that is.

loctite purple or green might be an option as well. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#loctite____-_1-2-4_8-16-32
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
doublechaz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doublechaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 01:44
I have a blizzard flip up over the ARD on my SS 10x42 HD.  I've never noticed it coming loose, but I guess if it is turning it won't matter as the slip fit lense cap will keep it.  Too much horrible grit here in AZ to not have caps.  I guess if you are talking about a tube sunshade, then my method won't help.

Also, at least on my cheap gear, I tend to wrap most things with baseball bat grip tape to reduce shine and help keep the veil in place.  That would certainly work with a tube shade.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic