OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone have experience with shooting bags?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone have experience with shooting bags?
    Posted: April/15/2010 at 18:39

Anyone out there have any experience with shooting support bags like these? Just wondering what options I have, and what people like.

Post up what you have, where you got it, and how much it cost.

I shot my buddies 308 and he had some that were great. I loved the way they supported the rifle, and the support they gave, but don't know much else about them.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 20:47
I picked up a couple shooters ridge bags from Wallyworld and they work ok.  I am working on making my own with some canvas material i got from a fabric store and used corncob media. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 04:38
Got mine custom made, many moons ago from Stu at Redman Tactical over at Snipers Hide.
Even has "CTRICK" stiched in the end of it. Embarrased

Been drug around, thrown down, beat up, had cleaning solutions slopped on it and still looks as good as the day I recevied it.  
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 09:24
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Got mine custom made, many moons ago from Stu at Redman Tactical over at Snipers Hide.

Been drug around, thrown down, beat up, had cleaning solutions slopped on it and still looks as good as the day I recevied it.  

CT, Is he still making them? Or do you know?

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 12:15
I have three Stoney Point "Marksman" bags. You only need one of these to shoot. They come prefilled with plastic pellets, they are H-shaped if you are looking at it from the end, square from the side. The rifle fits down into the top of the H, then you spread the bottom legs of the H on the shooting table, truck hood, etc. which makes the top of the H grip the rifle. They are about 12-14" square top to bottom and back to front, and about 12" side to side when the gun is not in them. The rifle ends up about 6" above the table. A rear bag can be used if desired, but is optional.

These things work GREAT and are well made, about $40. I recommend 'em highly! And, they are 100% soft so they cannot scratch your rifle.

Texas
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 12:18
Where did you get yours Texas?
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 17:08
Shoot, I just cut the pockets off an old pair of BDU's and the pottom of the legs with drawstring still attached sewed up the upper part of the leg and used some old chicken food for the media...works like a champ
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 19:11
Originally posted by CALL911 CALL911 wrote:

Anyone out there have any experience with shooting support bags like these? Just wondering what options I have, and what people like.

Post up what you have, where you got it, and how much it cost.

I shot my buddies 308 and he had some that were great. I loved the way they supported the rifle, and the support they gave, but don't know much else about them.

I've got the bottom left bag in the picture, I use it as an elbow bag on the bench. It's a nice bag, but it's made in china Protest 

The Protector (sp?) bags found at MidwayUSA & Brownells are American made AND a better made bag, I have one (owls ear) for my front rest/tripod and one of their rear bags.

The smooth leather of the Protector bags allow the rifle to slide smoothly during recoil. The Caldwell bags tend to grip the rifle....I don't like that, most benchrest shooters don't either.

Like others have said, it's easy to make your own, which I have done/do.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 01:34
Boy do I feel cheap.  I just use lentil beans in two big socks or a bag or rice. LOL! 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

CT, Is he still making them? Or do you know?

Not sure Stu does "custom" bags with your name stitched on them, but I'm sure he sells the bags.
Great guy and great gear! I've slung MANY rounds down range off that bag.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 10:16
Just an FYI for those wanting that custom shooting bag with their name or handle on it.   I called a local embroderiery shop (yes i know i cant spell) and asked them if they had heavy leather that they can stitch the writting into and then sew up for me.  After explaining what i wanted they said sure we can do that and even add a heavy duty zipper to boot for around 50 bucks.  What i wanted was just a simple rabbit ear bag and the name on the side.  I held off on ordering but know now they can do it and most shops like that should  You may have to go by there and show them what you want with pictures or drawing but they should be able to do you a custom bag.  I am sure this place had heavy canvas as well that would work but in case any of you wanted to get something like Cheap has you at least know a place to start.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 23:38
I must be the cheapass in the crowd - I take the bottom half of old blue jean legs sew both ends together filled with corn.  Works great and a tad lighter than sandbags the same size.   Worst case scenerio you have some feed along to throw out.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 08:10
Cool, guys. I want one with my name (ID) on it.... Kids don't need no college anyways.Bucky

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 10:41

Cool, guys. I want one with my name (ID) on it.... Kids don't need no college anyways.Bucky
Thats easy just get a sharpie and put it right on the Blue Jeans pants leg before you fill it with corn. Wink

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 10:45
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Thats easy just get a sharpie and put it right on the Blue Jeans pants leg before you fill it with corn. Wink

I would miss spell it. Wink

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 11:25
LaughLaugh AboveRoll on Floor Laughing
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 01:52
Anyone tried the X7 bags from Bullsbag?Same people make the Uncle Buds Bull Bags.I have been using a POS Hopp'es front shooting rest and have not been able to get a solid repeatable rest to save my butt.I need something that I can use to sight in rifle's and also blast varmints from a shooting bench.So far I'am thinking mechanical front rest's suck.I realize the Hopp'es is a pos but thinking they are not the way to go for my purpose.It is such a pain to take the rifle off the rest to raise or lower the elevation.What do you use for these type's of shooting,thanks.
DSP Rock Harbor
lyssagale12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyssagale12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 04:55
Hi guys,

Hey.......guys....i never have been travel with like that bags,so can't tell anything about that.Well i have purchased a lovely swarovski handbag for my frnd from...... has awesome collections of handbags.......really.I m jubilant with that.

Thanks

Regards
Lyssa Gale

Edited by cheaptrick - April/25/2010 at 19:15
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 05:43
 The old Hoppe's realy weren't a bad rest, a little light and moved on recoil but overall pretty steady and sturdy. The new ones I will agree are a POS. That is why I bought the Caldweel BR ROCK it is 18lbs. fully adjustable and as stable as the bench.
 If I were to buy bags I think I would go the home made route like a few others on here have done, that way you can make them to your own liking and if you wear them out just make another.You can probably make a bag for under $5, never find one for that price.
froggy
fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 12:40
True story Froggy those X7 bags are a little over a 100.00,now you've got me thinking.
DSP Rock Harbor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic