OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Let' face it"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let' face it"
    Posted: April/15/2010 at 03:33
After reading all the responces to my 270/308/30-06 post I have come to a conclusion - you are all right.You can make a sound ballistic argument for almost any caliber discussed in this thread.Itseems that any of the three calibers is ballistically sound for the application described.I once read a quote from Jack Lewis a old time gun writer many of you younger gunny's might not remember "Elmer Keith would not feel overgunned hunting field mice with a 416 Rigby" or something pretty close to that effect.The point he was making was not a slam on Elmer,it was more like if you are comfortable shooting a 416 then by all means shoot it!Let's face it no matter how powerfull your gun is,if you can't accurately shoot it, it does not matter.I have seen a lot of shooters get seduced by magnum fever to be ruined by devoloping a flinch or other bad habits,but on the other hand I have seen other hunting freinds buy magnums and bocme outstanding shooters and hunters.We are all different in shooting capabilities so if you can hit what you are aiming at, game over.So my freind ended up with the 270,I will have many hours of fun torturing him with buyer's remorse for choosing the 270,all the while knowing the 270 will do everything he want's and then some.Tell me it;s not fun to torture your Bro's with stuff like this,thanks everyone for your responces.
DSP Rock Harbor
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 04:15
Choice of caliber is best discussed around a camp fire and a good bottle of whisky to pass around!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 07:07
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Choice of caliber is best discussed around a camp fire and a good bottle of whisky to pass around!

I agree, but without any of those calibers in sight. People get awful pissy when you talk about there caliber choice not being the right one.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 07:09
Good point BigD, and with the bottle of whiskey sometimes pissing someone off aint a good thing! lol
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 21:38
Which is the right caliber will linger on like Ford VS Chevy VS Dodge
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 04:26
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Which is the right caliber will linger on like Ford VS Chevy VS Dodge

Oh??

I thought that debate was concluded long ago.

Wink
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 06:39
Here is your caliber discussion right here!!
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 07:02
  Me to,ct.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 11:44
Did I hear someone mention a HEMI!?!?!!?!?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 14:15

Thunbs Up  Thunbs Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 17:46
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Did I hear someone mention a HEMI!?!?!!?!?

it aint a hemi without the the shaker!Excellent
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 17:59
  Ran one of these for a few yrs:
   1962 Dodge Dart 2 Door Sedan Front View
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 18:08
I want one of these. Gotta love the Big Block Chevy.

Edited by trigger29 - April/16/2010 at 18:09

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 19:03
  CUTE!   Whistling
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 19:28
no need for 2k in HP if you can't get it to hook up.  Only car i ever lost to at the track strip had around awd and 250hp......he ate me on the launch

Edit........in the lightning

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/16/2010 at 19:29
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 21:27
Usually pretty easy to find a Ford or a Dodge, just look in the mirror!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 21:53
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Usually pretty easy to find a Ford or a Dodge, just look in the mirror!

Of your Chevy

Thunbs Up  Excellent
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 10:03
Traction is a huge issue in the pursuit of race winnings. I will say this. My Grand Prix with the 428 was pushing a lot of horses. With the stall converter, I would use half throttle until tire hook up, and lost only one race. That race was against a new model 1982 Firebird (body only) with a 426 Hemi engine. Besides having me by a few modest ponies, the power to weight ratio was un heard of for normal street cars. We both were running multi carb set ups, high rise intakes, and both cars idling together would have set off any number earth quake monitors. Two car lengths wasn't exactly a walk away though, (I was gaining on him) and had the race been a half mile, he would have been the one crying the blues. Many of my friends were running 428, 429, 427, 390, 391, 454, 455, 389 in all manner of make and modification, none would even kid with me about mine, and none of them would even think about racing that Firebird. I should have built a Pontiac Astra (Vega) on a modded Camaro frame for that engine..... Pontiac would have won that day.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 10:12
Make that sub-frame.... For the unibody cars.

Cyborg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 10:43
  Those were THE DAYS my friend!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic