OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low light scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low light scope?
    Posted: April/14/2010 at 01:03
I am building a AR15 6.8spc for a hog hunt this summer and other hunts thru the fall for deer and elk (up close of course Big Smile)
I am assuming that the shots will be under 100 yards for the hog hunt at night.  Day time could be further but not sure (first hog hunt).
I was told by the guides to get a good low light or light gathering scope.
I really like the Trijicon 2.5x10 accupoint but do I need the 10x magnification?
Is there another scope you guys would recommend?

I do have a great red flashlight to help but I don't want to get out to the hunt and wish I had bought a better scope...

Thanks
Enno
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 06:19
The lower variable Accupoint would work and you minght wanna look at the ND3.  There are several hog slayers on here that will chime in on their optics choices, give it time and they will let you know what they are using. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 07:01
Some general things to keep in mind:

1) The closer the shot, the less magnification you need and that will increase the amount of light transmission

2) You don't need that much on the high end. 9-10X is plenty for most hunters. It's more important not to sacrifice the low-end field of view. 2.5 or 3X is great but get above that and you lose FOV, making target acquisition more difficult. There is no shot I can think of under a 100 yards that can't be made on 2.5X.

3) A larger objective will (all other things being equal, i.e. glass quality) give you more light transmission and somewhat better resolution. However, that often comes at the expense of being larger and heavier and makes it harder to get a good cheek weld.

If you think all your low-light shots will be under 200 yards then any quality scope with a magnification range of 2.5-10X or 3-9X with an objective over 30mm will do the job. For example, a scope with a 32 mm objective set at 5X will still have an exit pupil of 6.4 - as much light transmission as a person over 30 is likely to ever be able to use. Generally though, you'll want to look at the selection in the 40-42 mm range. And maybe consider illuminated reticles if they're allowed where you hunt.
Reaction time is a factor...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 09:23
For hog hunting, I currently own the Accupoint 3-9X, 2.5-10X, and 5-20X. For a 6.8, I'd get the 3-9X with post reticle.

As shots on hogs can be quick, I recommend Accupoints simply because the glass is good and the illumination doesn't require an "on" switch: when needed, it is ready.

Below is a pic of the hog I took with a 6.8 (with 2.5-10 Accupoint in LaRue QD mount) a few months ago. Taxidermist says he will be done on Friday, more pics coming!  Pictured is the 2.5-10x50.  The 3-9 is significantly smaller.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/14/2010 at 09:23
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 10:25
I have tried a ton of optics on my 6.8s over the last few years
I have settled on the 3-9 accupoint with the green dot

the 2.5-10x56 will be a TAD brighter, but if you have illumination it's not really needed
plush, the 3-9 is a lot lighter and more compact

had the 1-4 TR24 and loved it until it got dark and the 3-9x40, even at closer ranges, like the typical 75 yard stand to feeder shot, the 3-9 is much better

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

keo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 17:31
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

1) The closer the shot, the less magnification you need and that will increase the amount of light transmission

This isn't exactly true. The is only true if the exit pupil of the scope's eyepiece never gets larger than the entrance pupil of your own eye. If the scope's exit-pupil diameter exceeds that of your own eye (typically 5-7mm in low-light levels), then any light outside of that diameter is just wasted outside of your own eye and there is no further increase in image brightness. This is something that new light-bucket telescope "light-bucket" owners find disconcerting. They think that if they use a lower-power eyepiece that then they'll be able to see those galaxies 2-3x's as bright. Not realizing that that lower-power eyepiece is now dumping most of the light outside of the entrance-pupil diameter of their own eye. Maximum exit-pupil diameter of a scope is important if you want to know how much you will be benefitting from that larger diameter objective. Most of the time the increase in brightness is only applicable to higher to medium powers in long-eye-relief scopes. As you zoom out past a point where the exit-pupil is larger than your eye's, there is no more increase in brightness.
Enno View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 01:23
Thanks for all the info guys.  I think I have decided on the 2.5x10 Trijicon,...  OR the 3x9. Unless there are any other suggestions to look at.
Reasons behind it is the hunt will have NO moon for the hog hunt, I guess the tad bit better light will come in real handy then... If I am wrong please tell me.
I looked on SWFA's sight and could not find LaRue mounts, am I missing something?  I will be buying the scope from them for hosting this forum and helping out.

SVT_Tactical.  I like the ND3 and after reading the thread on the laser I might just be ordering up one of those also... Want to just make sure the new design pressure switch is out for it before I do.

JonoMT, I think you misunderstood me.  I was actually looking for a smaller magnification scope to use like a 1-4 power.  My other hunts will be quick shooting close shots so the smaller ones would be better there.

ccoker thanks for the heads up on the 1-4 not being low light friendly.

Rancid Coolaid that is a nice piggy and a nice setup you have there!!  Why the post reticle?  If the tritium wears out (does it) do then have a post with out a triangle on top?

keo, thanks for the write up.  I am really new at this and had to read thru it a few times to make sense but finally got it.

thank
Enno
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 04:30
The best place to get LaRue mounts is from LaRue. They don't have many dealers selling them.
Beware, they are pricey, but the best is not cheap.
IMHO, LaRue is the best mount made for mounting optics in an EBR.  "Evil Black Rifle"
I have 2 of their LT-104

To find their web sight, google;  LaRue Tactical

I don't want to get in trouble for posting a link to a competitor, as they also sell optics.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 07:04
Originally posted by Enno Enno wrote:

Thanks for all the info guys.  I think I have decided on the 2.5x10 Trijicon,...  OR the 3x9. Unless there are any other suggestions to look at.
Reasons behind it is the hunt will have NO moon for the hog hunt, I guess the tad bit better light will come in real handy then... If I am wrong please tell me.
I looked on SWFA's sight and could not find LaRue mounts, am I missing something?  I will be buying the scope from them for hosting this forum and helping out.

SVT_Tactical.  I like the ND3 and after reading the thread on the laser I might just be ordering up one of those also... Want to just make sure the new design pressure switch is out for it before I do.

JonoMT, I think you misunderstood me.  I was actually looking for a smaller magnification scope to use like a 1-4 power.  My other hunts will be quick shooting close shots so the smaller ones would be better there.

ccoker thanks for the heads up on the 1-4 not being low light friendly.

Rancid Coolaid that is a nice piggy and a nice setup you have there!!  Why the post reticle?  If the tritium wears out (does it) do then have a post with out a triangle on top?

keo, thanks for the write up.  I am really new at this and had to read thru it a few times to make sense but finally got it.

thank
Enno

The Accupoints in general are great hog hunting scopes!  To get a better low light scope, you'd have to spend nearly 2X more.  The 2.5-10X is a bit better in low light when used above 7X, but at the expense of a much larger objective and higher price.  I would lean toward the 3-9X40 if you want a more compact scope.

Yes, the tritium does "wear out" over about 15 years or so, but even if you don't have the tritium lamp replaced, that still doesn't render the scope useless. The lit triangle you see (or dot) is the end of a strand of fiber optic.  The tritium just provides light to cause the fiber to glow during night.  During daytime, the fiber is illuminated by ambient sunlight.  If for some reason there was no light available and the tritium was no longer glowing, the triangle (or dot) is still physically there.  Once the tritium quits on you, you just send it in to Trijicon and they can replace it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 08:01
I am real happy with the Wilson Combat mount and the green dot 3-9 on my 6.8

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 09:40
Very nice setup, Charles!Thunbs Up
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Enno View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 10:05
RifleDude.  thanks for the info on the tritium. 

ccoker that is a sexy setup.  I like the Wilson mounts

Looks like the 3-9 is the way  to go.

Enno
Enno View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 10:18
Trijicon 3-9 ordered... thanks for all the info.

Enno
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 10:25
Be sure to get some pictures posted when you have it all riged up!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 10:35
Originally posted by keo keo wrote:

This isn't exactly true. The is only true if the exit pupil of the scope's eyepiece never gets larger than the entrance pupil of your own eye. If the scope's exit-pupil diameter exceeds that of your own eye (typically 5-7mm in low-light levels), then any light outside of that diameter is just wasted outside of your own eye and there is no further increase in image brightness. This is something that new light-bucket telescope "light-bucket" owners find disconcerting. They think that if they use a lower-power eyepiece that then they'll be able to see those galaxies 2-3x's as bright. Not realizing that that lower-power eyepiece is now dumping most of the light outside of the entrance-pupil diameter of their own eye. Maximum exit-pupil diameter of a scope is important if you want to know how much you will be benefitting from that larger diameter objective. Most of the time the increase in brightness is only applicable to higher to medium powers in long-eye-relief scopes. As you zoom out past a point where the exit-pupil is larger than your eye's, there is no more increase in brightness.

I think we're talking about the same thing in the end. All I meant is that if you are taking a shot at a range - say under 200 yards - you don't need as much magnification. By dialing down the scope you will increase the exit pupil. And - up to the maximum entrance pupil of the shooter's eye - that will provide more light transmission. In the end, you can often get away with much less scope than you think you need.

And I will repeat this because I don't think it can be said often enough: If you're a hunter, never sacrifice the low end of the magnification range. Far more shots are made at ranges where 2.5-3X would do than are ever made at 20X. I would take a 3-9 or 2.5-10 any day over a 5-20 or even a 4-16.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 10:48

And I will repeat this because I don't think it can be said often enough: If you're a hunter, never sacrifice the low end of the magnification range. Far more shots are made at ranges where 2.5-3X would do than are ever made at 20X. I would take a 3-9 or 2.5-10 any day over a 5-20 or even a 4-16.

True dat, excellent advice.  Excellent
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Enno View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 11:04
Ya I made that mistake once already...
I bought a 6-24 Nikon for my 7mm mag for hunting.  Saw a deer at 264 yards brought up the gun and shot it before I realized I had the scope set at 6.... Why did I bother having the super whammy jammy 24 power if I didn't use it. 
Now I am thinking properly... Lower power is better.

And I will post some pics when it gets installed.

Thanks
Enno
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 07:01
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

True dat, excellent advice.  Excellent

Absolutely!
Ted

Enno View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 12:45
SWFA made my decision easy... I called and the 3-9 was on backorder so I got the 2.5x10.
Should be here on Tuesday.

Enno
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 11:20
The discontinued Weaver Classic Extreme 2-10x56 German #4 has been a very good scope for low light night hunts.The Trijicon & WCE are a tie with optics both are very good scopes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic