OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

powder measure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: powder measure
    Posted: April/13/2010 at 01:28
My Hornady measure has done a good job loading ball powder for 44mag and such but leaves a little to be desired when using extruded powders such as IMR 4064 or Varget.It sometimes takes a lot of force to break the powder when it gets caught between the barrell and body and I have not been  able to get a consistent throws, it seems to fluctuate about a half a grain high or low.While not too bad for practice ammo,I  would like more consistent throws for accuarcy loads.Any suggestions for a measure that works with extruded powders?Once again thanks.
DSP Rock Harbor
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 05:50
 Expensive but IMO worth the cost, the electronic powder throwers with the digital scales. Just set the charge hit the dispense button and the charge is weighed while being dropped, accurate to within .1 everytime.
 Mine just stopped working after 10-11 years and I am waiting for a replacement from Pact. I beleive they make them for all the major companies-RCBS, LYMAN,and of course their own.
 You can get from all major catalog companies.

Edited by rjtfroggy - April/13/2010 at 05:51
froggy
fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 00:23

Thanks Froggy,I too was thinking of that sysytem.I have a rcbs digital scale I think can be set up with that system.Seems like from what your saying it might be the way to go.

DSP Rock Harbor
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 06:48
Extruded powders like Varget often bind in the dispenser, unless you're using one of the really expensive ones like the Culvers or Harrells. You can go the electronic route or just use a powder trickler ($15-20) to bring up the last couple tenths or so. I find that whenever I do 50 rounds of .308 using Varget I get 3-4 that are over and as many as 10 that throw 3-5 tenths under. Most, however, are right at 1-2 tenths under. I like the trickler because I can pretty easily get each charge to less than 3/100ths variation. That's probably more precise than necessary but it's easy with that kind of control.

If you do go electronic, make sure there are no fluorescent fixtures nearby or motors. You might consider a line conditioner if you are getting fluctuations or find it hard to calibrate your equipment with your test weights.
Reaction time is a factor...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 06:55
What do fluorescent lights do to it jon?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 07:08
Fluorescent lights can transmit RFI (radio frequency interference) and electronic scales/powder measures are highly sensitive devices. It isn't necessarily going to happen but it can.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 07:14

Really, thats good to know.  Another question, if I got one i wouldn't want it near say a computer? huh?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 07:56
 I would occasionaly run into this problem, my reloading room has flourescent lighting and the scale will flash "error". This has supposedly been corrected with the newer models,I won't know until mine arrives.
froggy
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 13:03
I do use the trickler method and your right it does work but I find it slow.I have flourecent lights and so far have not had a problem.My charges with powder measure do the same thing a tenth or two over or under for practice rounds it is fine.With the electronic measure do you find it be slow?Something like 16 seconds for a charge?
DSP Rock Harbor
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 13:11
 Yeah it is a little slower but did you ever time youself doing it the other way?
froggy
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 13:40
No but I think or at least seems a little faster.Just went to Sinclair and checked out Herrel and RFD measures,wow spendy little devils!They are right up with the electonic units,what are your thought on this,thanks Froggy.
DSP Rock Harbor
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 15:01
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Really, thats good to know.  Another question, if I got one i wouldn't want it near say a computer? huh?

In your case, you don't want the computer near any of your reloading equipment...'cause you'll get too distracted posting and will do what I did this morning:
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23115&PID=306003
Big Smile

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 15:41
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Fluorescent lights can transmit RFI (radio frequency interference) and electronic scales/powder measures are highly sensitive devices. It isn't necessarily going to happen but it can.

Wow! I still use a RCBS 5-0-5 scale, but I've never read that before.
Thanks!   
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 16:13
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

In your case, you don't want the computer near any of your reloading equipment...'cause you'll get too distracted posting and will do what I did this morning:
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23115&PID=306003
Big Smile

I will do one step then post. Like size everything then check for new post, then trim, then check, then prime, then check and so on and so on.   never had a problem yet Knock on wood.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic