OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS Elevation Adj Ranges?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaustin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS Elevation Adj Ranges?
    Posted: April/13/2010 at 00:50
What are the adjustment ranges on the SS HD and SS 3-9?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 07:29
My 10xHD is 38.4 mils (or 132 MOA) in both elevation and windage. 
The 3-9 I just reviewed was about 100MOA. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
gaustin70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaustin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 12:17
I'd like to get the info from SWFA...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 12:57
Originally posted by gaustin70 gaustin70 wrote:

Then I suggest you call SWFA and ask one of their technicians...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 13:09
I guess actually owning one and spending two weeks with one does not count Kickboxer
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 13:14

This forum was not designed as a tool for Customer Service for SWFA, (see forum rules).  If you want if from them call and ask.  If you post here be prepared to get some of the best minds in the optics world to answer.  I mean that literally. For one example, if Kickboxer says it go bet money on it.  Also be aware that the likes of others will answer too.  My 10xSF and 16x both have over 115MOA  I'll never use that much. Doubtful most people will.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 16:03
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

My 10xHD is 38.4 mils (or 132 MOA) in both elevation and windage. 
The 3-9 I just reviewed was about 100MOA. 
If Kickboxer says it to be true gaustin then I would put my head on the chopping block that it is. SWFA concurs with Kickboxer.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 17:20
Roger That Salute

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gaustin70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaustin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 21:19
Is this info listed anywhere on the SWFA site?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 21:47

Not that I can see,  but you've been given the info from an SWFA employee and also someone who has the scope.  I'm not sure what your getting at.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 23:46
Go to an Optics site. Ask an Optics question, then slap the face of someone that gives that answer. That's just plain rude.
Listen SWFA aside because they are honest folks. You don't want to ask makers, because they will exagerate facts, and then claim the shortfall is a rarity, but should still work for you.
If you want the straight scoop on something the members here give it straight. Some people may not like the answers they get, but they are none the less honest, and as unbiased as is humanly possible. Many here own, have owned, have tested, are testing the very scopes they report on. We do not make our knowledge available for any purpose other than to help buyers make the best choice within their price range for the features they want in that price range.
That said. Welcome to Optics Talk.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 08:07

What difference does that make?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
gaustin70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaustin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 09:56

I didn't intend to 'slap anyone in the face', this is another example of how text, especially the short run on sentence variety, is often misinterpreted.  It seems odd to me that this info is not available from the manufacturer in written form somewhere, and since there is no manual that comes with the scope, I looked online.  It was way after business hours when I orginally posted the question expecting and answer like "here is the link" to somewhere I hadn't found yet.  When the answer came back as "about 100 MOA" it sounded like a guess, and I expected that SWFA had a published range somewhere, it now appears that this is not the case.

On my 3-9 SS I get 5 revolutions plus 1.7mil, which should be 26.7 mils of total range,which is about 91.85 MOA if my calculations are correct.  I ran out of elevation while trying to shoot about 1050yds last weekend.  I was looking for a published elevation range to compare this to to make sure my scope was operating correctly, another 7-8MOA would have made the difference.  I'll be ordering a 20MOA tapered riser from SWFA to solve the problem.

Since 3/23, I've ordered $3752.50 worth of optics gear from SWFA, and I've found alot of good info on this forum.  Thus, I was not intending to be rude to anyone, and I appologize if my text gave that impression.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 10:01
No problem man thanks for clearing this up.  Can i borrow some money?Bucky
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 10:47

I didn't intend to 'slap anyone in the face', this is another example of how text, especially the short run on sentence variety, is often misinterpreted.  It seems odd to me that this info is not available from the manufacturer in written form somewhere, and since there is no manual that comes with the scope, I looked online.  It was way after business hours when I orginally posted the question expecting and answer like "here is the link" to somewhere I hadn't found yet.  When the answer came back as "about 100 MOA" it sounded like a guess, and I expected that SWFA had a published range somewhere, it now appears that this is not the case.

On my 3-9 SS I get 5 revolutions plus 1.7mil, which should be 26.7 mils of total range,which is about 91.85 MOA if my calculations are correct.  I ran out of elevation while trying to shoot about 1050yds last weekend.  I was looking for a published elevation range to compare this to to make sure my scope was operating correctly, another 7-8MOA would have made the difference.  I'll be ordering a 20MOA tapered riser from SWFA to solve the problem.

Since 3/23, I've ordered $3752.50 worth of optics gear from SWFA, and I've found alot of good info on this forum.  Thus, I was not intending to be rude to anyone, and I appologize if my text gave that impression.

The 3-9 that sits on my desk at the front counter as a demo has right at 91 MOA
 The 10HD on my desk has 131.

Edited by Chris Farris II - April/16/2010 at 10:50
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 11:24
Thanks for the explanation gaustin. I am happy that you are an SWFA customer. I am sure they are. It is too easy to not get the intent of the poster in a forum environment. I hope that you were not offended as a result. We tend to have each others backs here. Should you become a regular staple here, I am sure your back will be watched as well. Take care.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
gaustin70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaustin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 12:02
My humble suggestion to SWFA would be to add 90MOA and 130MOA nominal elevation ranges to the web site info on the 3-9 and 10HD SS scopes, and add the ranges for the others as well if they are not there.  40 MOA definitely changes which scope is right for a certain rifle.  I need a 20 MOA base for the 3-9 on a POF AR10, but if I change and put my 10HD on it, I should be able to reach the 1000yd range I'm after.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 12:12
Most that are trying to shoot to 1000yds would be using a 20moa base to begin with.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic