OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your favorite 300WM load???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite 300WM load???
    Posted: April/12/2010 at 21:54

Okay guys.  I christened my new Savage long range hunter in 300 Win Mag last weekend.

Only had 150, 155 nad 168gr pills.  The gun appears to want heavier pills.  I will use the lighter stuff in the 308. 

Please give me your go to loads with pills 168gr and heavier.  Powders are also up for comsideration.

Thanks in advance!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 21:59
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 05:34

Thunbs Up  That'll work!!!!!!!!!!

I use RL-22 w/180gr Hornady Interlocks.  Sub MOA,3118 fps 10 shot avg.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 06:17
You can see if yours will stabilize but mines loves the 240gr Sierra's even with the 1-10 twist.  I have used 220grs and can see little difference.  Using 76gr H1000 i can push them right around 2950fps with a COAL of 3.385. One hole at 100yds.  Here is a 300yd target with the 240's ( not the two shots on the left, thats a different target with a different load)

I have found that the 208gr AMax's work well too with H1000 and 77grs of H1000. They fly around 3050 FPS and will also produce groups of three holes touching at 100yds.  This is the only bullet I have tested on a deer and it was absolutely devestating.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 06:18
FYI you may find in your hand soon a few A-maxs to try Wink
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 06:31
72.5gr of imr-4831 with a 180gr sierra prohunter.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 06:51
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Morning Hunter!   Have you ever tried using H4831SC with this load?  (I have that powder)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 06:54
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Nice shooting there Bob...as usual!  Thanks, wonder how much difference using CCI primers will make.
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 07:04
Once I decide on and get some slower powder I will be more aggressive in loading near max.  Since all the powders i currently have are a little too fast I have stayed at about the halfway mark in powder weight per the manuals especially with using Mag primers which from what I gather will cause higher peak pressures do to faster ignition.   My reasoning is: Mag primers would compound the problem of high peak pressures caused by faster powders.  Am I understanding that right?
--Thomas Jefferson

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 07:49
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Morning Hunter!   Have you ever tried using H4831SC with this load?  (I have that powder)

I use H4831sc with my 168gr load with a LR primer and its a smaking load.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 07:58
Morning Brando!  I was surprised to find that Varget had better grouping than did H4831SC using CCI Mag LR primers and 168gr Nosler HPBTs.  At least with the weights I was loading!
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 07:59
i just bought my first pound of h-4831sc a few months ago to try in my .264win and .300wby. i wouldnt be a bit surprised if it doesnt shine in my brother in laws .270
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 08:57
I like to monkey with loads, but best results have been over 4831 and 7828.  My big gun likes 190-gr BTHP and 208-gr Amax.  The GAP (shorter barrel) does better with 180-gr and 190-gr, not so much the 208s.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 09:02

Morning Brando!  I was surprised to find that Varget had better grouping than did H4831SC using CCI Mag LR primers and 168gr Nosler HPBTs.  At least with the weights I was loading!

for some reason the H4831sc dose not work well with a mag primer in my loads with a 165/168. No with a Lr primer they do really good. now my 200/210 H1000 loads the mag primers are the ticket.

Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 10:40
Bud,

Try working up to 75 gr. RL22 with Nosler 180 gr. accubonds. With CCI 250 primers and Lapua brass this load shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards out of my ABolt. I had to seat the handloads about 0.020 of the lands to get it to shoot that way, though. Seems like it yields about 3100 fps muzzle velocity. Sorry, I can't find a target scan to post...

Hope that helps,

Tom
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 10:53
Problem ther Texas is finding lapua brass....
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 11:24
Thanks Guys...ALOT!  Brando I noted that the Lee nd hornady manuals call for regular LR primer and not Mag primers.  I had already prepped the 50 casings I had bought with Mag primers when I realized this.  Thats one of the reasons I stayed at about midrange on powder weights.  Looks Like I have some work cut out for me!  Wink  Darn, darn, darn! Whistling
--Thomas Jefferson

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 11:39

Thanks Guys...ALOT!  Brando I noted that the Lee nd hornady manuals call for regular LR primer and not Mag primers.  I had already prepped the 50 casings I had bought with Mag primers when I realized this.  Thats one of the reasons I stayed at about midrange on powder weights.  Looks Like I have some work cut out for me!  Wink  Darn, darn, darn! Whistling

Thats what makes it so much fun.

Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 11:39
Definitely blind good luck for me I bought 100 Lapua 300 Win cases when I bought the rifle.

Win brass is good too, though. Just work up to the load...
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 11:40
Yeah i have been on the hunt for some for a while now.  I have a contact in New Zealand now that is suppose to call me when they get there next seasonal shipment. if they get it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic