OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22lr Ammo Test - Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22lr Ammo Test - Thread
    Posted: April/12/2010 at 19:28
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I tested out a lot, lot of ammo.  The ones posted and reviewed made the cut of actually being worth a durn.  Federal bulk, winchester bulk, wolf, stingers, thunder-bots, and greentag failed miserably in accuracy I did take pictures of the targets but didn't see a need to post them as none had a group better than 2 touching targets and spreads below 3.5" at 25yds.   The process was load five shoot those and load 5 more and shoot that five. 
Here are some of the results at 25yds.   I shot two targets with each ammo and made sure the gun was accustomed to the ammo with the first target and then shot the targets you see below ( all except the CCI subs)
Remington bulk was good for plinking but didn't group well at all as you can see.  Also the bullets left me living example of the movie "GoldFinger".    The CCI target you will notice doesn't appear to have as many shots, well there is a great reason for that....the CZ didn't like them.  I had to beat the bolt down and chambering them was rediculously hard.  They shot well but if I would have went through them all I would have a broken bolt handle no doubt.  In was almost crazy how tight the fit was.  NO other ammo was a fraction as hard.
Fiocchi, ah Fiocchi,  the best performer I had where the 2 different brands of this ammo.  Not only did the standard velocity 40gr bullet perform well the other 36gr subsonic did well too. (see target below)  Ammo cycled great and wasn't filmy to handle either like a few others. The one flier was a called pull.  The Eley group was ok but was misleading when shooting.  Almost none of the reports from the bullet firing where consitant. Granted the groups looked ok the confidence was way down because of this.  This ammo also showed horrible results at the 100yd line shooting at clays, several would be dead on then a few would actually hit the ground 10-20 yrds in front the target.
You can notice the drop in POI that the 36gr Fiocchi ammo had. From the dead on of the standard velocity to the subsonic 36gr was noticable at 25yds and crazy at 100yds.  It still held the best group. Thats 10 shots in that target.  The Aguila was ok, but the sulfer smell from the shots really stunk up the place.  The smaller rounds also didn't always want to eject away from teh gun but bounce back into the open bolt to keep from being able to close on the next round. Also the larger lead seemed to key hole a little as you can tell from the target with the larger looking holes. It was the only ammo I could hear fly through the air and also the only one that I had to adjust my iron sights on to hit paper.  Shooting at 25yds I used the iron sight adjustment for 25yds for all ammo except this which was shot with it on 50yds iron sight adjustment.  At 100yds the Aguila was slow enough to actually shoot, then look up to see the clays break.
The Lapua did great but as I mention before this was one of the filmy ammos.  I don't know why but the ammo was extremely lubricated and was actually a pain to load because it was slide all over the place.  Two called fliers ruined a great group and it was one of the two ammos I hit 10 for 10 clays with at 100yds.   That said I wouldn't feel good taking it into the field simply because i dropped the ammo more than the others trying to load the stuff because of the lubrication.  The armscor was fair, I didn't care for the packaging it was like the old 22 boxes and where stacked into the small box wiht 5 up and 5 down.  Several had noticable case indentations that I went ahead and threw out.  Even with that the groups were good and it did ok but just didn't tickle my fancy with the few bad rounds and poor packaging.
Neither of these two grouped well, put did stay in the same quadrant so to speak.  As you can tell from the previous targets and then looking at these.  The RWS was similar to the Lapua with a film but not as bad. The Aguila standard velocity round where the loudest rounds to my ears.  Even more so than the stingers.  Both these did poor at 100ys with a hit ratio of less than 50%. 

These where the best of the ones I had.  This is also a very subjective test with me using iron sights but as you can see I am a capable shot, or so I think.  I had targets at 100yds but with iron sights I decided that I better hold off on judgement and put a scope on the gun to really see the ability and then post those targets. This will come next week, if the mounts come in before Friday as I am heading back to the range Saturday morning with a few other brands that didn't get tested.  I will also be testing the ammo in a 10/22 to see if the bolt cycles and how reliable it is in the semi auto platform. 

Please feel free to post any ammo that you want tested and IF i can get it, I will test it to the same test as the others. 

The above is a quote from the accurate 22lr thread here http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=22159

and here are the results from for 100yds
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 20:16
Nice informative test SVT.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 20:24
This is the setup.  100yds the other way. the targets. 
The gun is of course the CS452 Trainer.  LOVE IT! smoothest 22lr i have laid my hands on for sure.  I pulled out a tasco (don't shun me just yet) and mounted it with Leopold rings.  I could still use the irons with the scope mounted but doubtful it will stay.  It is a 3x9x40 with a "tv" reticle.  Scope was on a Knight MuzzleLoader which now i have to resight in

Now on to the results. Targets are about 4"x4" with an about 1.5"x1.5" square. Again yardage was 100yds measured with a wheel and each ammo was shot at targets 10 times.  I sighted in the the bulk remington but it was only to keep from wasting the higher priced ammo.  Some I had to make elevation and windage changes to as wind was blowing about 2-6 mph per the gauge. 
Good ole standard velocity Fiocchi. They well as you can see bombed.  At first I thought it was me so I shot another 10 shot group and this was the better of the two.  Went back to 25yds and had my ragged hole but at 100 it wasn't printing like i wanted.  Verdict is - closer than 50yds great, farther, better try something else.
Fiocchi subs did better than its standard velocity brother and I did like shooting it.  It would have been a top pick but you'll see why all falls to the wayside in a few more pictures.  Verdict is - good for ranges from point blank to 100yds.  Future test may go out farther but for now lets leave the 22 at 100yds.
before you look to much at the target to the right of the box the one on the left was from the CCI subs  I tried again but they were to hard to chamber......accuracy was there but would not chamber I was really afraid of breaking the bolt handle off so I stopped messing with it.  Now on to the winchester.  Groups where fair.  I don't recall three pulls but from the looks of it I did.  Nothing stood out on this ammo wasn't the worst and wasn't the best.
RWS did about as good as the bulk package....bottom line after two targets fail for both short and long ranges for me......
See the similarity in the bulk Remington and the higher priced RWS. See now why they fail..... Remington bulks is about good for one thing.  filling up a hig capacity mag and letting it rip......  for accuracy, you best with another brand.
Eley printed low.  At first I thought I had missed but when I went downrange to check I just kept shooting once i saw i was acutally on target.  It didn't group great and you can see a couple hits in the 2x4 post.  Drop from other to this was very noticable and as you see on 9 hit the 4th shot of the string hit about 50yds to shot in the dirt.  checked after it was shot to make sure the headstamp was the same and it was.  Given that on wild round and the huge drop, not my choice for a future purchase.
Armscor did good at 100yds. Surprising this was the one i was expecting to group with the bulk not the RWS.  Found two more cases with indentions but shot them anyway. Couldn't tell you which hits they were but they shot. Still even with the performace it showed i still can't get past the poor cases and packaging.
Aquila SuperExtra didnt pass the test. The stringing effect you see is actually not the two different 5 shot groups. its just the inconstantcy.  i check the targets after each 5 shots. No dice.
5 holes because i couldn't get a constant shot.  Those 5 you see are out of 15 shots all holding dead on.  To much lead to slow.  I half expected keyholes but clean as they can be.  I could actually watch this ammo hit the target and fly through the air.  For once this year the pollen in the air was helpful as it swirled as the bullet was in flight.  Still 5 out of 15 on paper doesnt' fly.  They will not find their way back into my CZ nor will the CCI subs.
My new found Filmy friend.  If you want some you better order it now cause i am about to be stocking up on this stuff.  I was crapping bricks when i walked up to the target to begin with cause i thought i had been missing the target nope the lapua lived up to its highly praised name and made me a believer  that even if the ammo has a film to it, its gonna be my go to ammo for this gun.  Thats 7 out of 10 shots in less than .3MOA with a 22lr. Go figure that out.  The first 5 shots where lesss than .25MOA!  Given the good performance at 25yds with irons and its unbelievable performance at 100yds its the only ammo I will buy for the CZ.  The rest or the ammo is gonna be used in something else as I am putting the CZ on a strick Lapua Diet lol.

Now yes these is subjective.  Lots of 22's like different diets.  If my results only point you to a starting point then i feel i have helped. Oh well off to Mid-Way to order some Lapua ammo! lol

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/12/2010 at 20:26
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 20:33
I will also point out the two top shooters the Fiocchi 38gr Subs and the Lapua cost around $3.75 for the Fiocchi and an astronomical $11.50 for the Lapua.  Depending on what you goals are you may find a similar situation for your gun too.  Me I'm gonna stretch this thing out with the Lapua and a nicer scope very soon now that i found it a great ammo and thats why i will use the Lapua more than they Fiocchi
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 20:36
Stingers, Wolf, Greentag, Winchester Bulk, and thunderbolts all failed again and failed hard.  Where i had 5 out of 15 with the Aquilla supersubs i had a hit with 1 in ever 5 with these give or take a few.  Gun doesnt like them.  Strange cause i always loved shooting stingers too!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 06:29
very nice svt! im not sure how much $12 a box ammo i want to buy, i think i may buy a cz myself and i think i will run a winter test to match up with yours, a friend of mine has a high power variable he said i could use. so now i just need to buy a rifle and start picking up ammo.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 06:49
I had a lot of fun with it.   it is kinda pricey but I wanna see if its possible to accurately use it out to say 200-400 yds....... so I figure for that test I need the best i can get.  I may go back to the Fiocchi subs when i get done with all my testing.
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 21:15
Head Banger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2011 at 08:43
I miss awesome posts like this and its predecessor from time to time.

I want to applaud SVT for taking the time and getting good pics.
I did not read this super throughly but I believe it was mentioned the twist rate was why the 60 gr did not come in that great I am not saying they are the best either but they do require a faster barrel.

I have found pretty similar results but have noted that Eley and FC subs as well as most other manufactures subs do much better than the supers. 

The key thing in testing is the appropiate barrel with the appropiate weight of bullet
velocity (still a very big critical mistake with most I see at the range complaing about .22lrs accuracy, barrel length is a big problem as well)...

I am not saying SVT has a problem with this post or made a mistake in not noting why he did not get favorable results he rather gave it good light they didn't like the diet.  The CZ is too slow and has too long of a barrel for them.  The CZ's are superb for lighter faster ammo.  The Trainer is the longest barrel you can find in a .22 I belive and is a shinning example of an accurate rifle.  I have 3 452's 1 .22lr Varmint 1 .22wmr Varmint and 1 .22lr trainer.

I have never taken the time to get pics.

I am usually focused on the heaviest slowest ammo for the Sub-Gun.

I have found that  the CCI stingers and Green Tag do not do as well as the SUBs even when using the appropiate twist rate and barrel length.

I enjoyed this post and its predecessor.  It makes me want to go out and test them again.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - September/25/2011 at 08:51
No one
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 11:47
Great post!
 I scratch my head every time I purchase 22 ammo. A guy at my local sporting goods store showed me that the wolf match ammo is identical to the Lapua. And way cheaper! I have had good results with it too.
Dont take yourself to seriously
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic