OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver V16/5R questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echosierra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver V16/5R questions
    Posted: April/12/2010 at 19:12
Just bought a Remmy 700 5R in .308 and have a few questions. After spending almost $1000. on the rifle plus paying uncle sam his due I am tapped out for a bit. I already have a Weaver V 16, 4X16X42 variable and would like to mount it up until I can afford something else. I would be using the set up for target only here in SW Florida.  I'd like to shoot at long range and was wondering if this would work temporarily for 400-500 yds +? A 20 moa base seems to be a given, but was wondering if there will be enough internal elevation in the scope and base set up? Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 20:59
I am not sure how much internal elevation the scope has, but a 20 M.O.A. base is usually do-able. But a 175gr. Matchking, loaded to 2700fps, only needs 10.8 M.O.A. to get to 500. So if 500 is far as your going to shoot, maybe a flat base is good to.  
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
echosierra3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echosierra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 22:09
Supposedly it has a +/- 30" elevation ability at 100 yards, so will that go the distance?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 22:25
With only 30 moa, it is going to be rough. With it mounted on the rifle, hopefully it will be somewhere close too the middle of adjustment travel. 15 up, 15 down. But that means the plus 20 M.O.A. base is out of the question, unless a 100 yard zero is sacrificed. But the good news is for that rifle all sorts of canted bases are available. There is also Burris Signature Zee rings, which have canted inserts for the rings that allow for more internal travel. The Burris rings is probably the route I would chose for your set-up.

Burris Signature Zee 1Burris Signature Zee 1" Rings
Stock # - 420520
Gloss, Medium 
$34.95

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 22:26
Btw, Welcome to the O.T.!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echosierra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 22:31
Thanks, I knew it was wishful thinking that the scope would be able to reach out.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echosierra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 22:34
Best base moa to get?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 22:41
With the rings I suggested, I would go with regular Weaver bases. If you look around, some manufacturer's make 5 and 10 M.O.A. rails, but I can not think of any off the top of my head. The Burris rings will give you 10 M.O.A., and they are quality rings. That should get you to 500 yards, IMHO. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic