OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

accubonds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: accubonds
    Posted: April/12/2010 at 13:02
I enterd a post the other day about a 140 gr partioner bullet for my .270.  I hadn't given the accubond 140 much thought because I realy don't like Hornady SSt's.  But  I was told they are totally different.  What do you guys think are the accubonds as good as the partioners?
Black n Tan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black n Tan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 13:20
To date I really like the AB's.
I use them in a 257 Weatherby.
I had a doe a here two seasons ago, about 50 yards if I recall, and was pleased with the results on a high shoulder shot. Was a good test with the velocity I have @ 3350 to 3400 at the muzzle.
Very accurate and and all that good stuff.
For what it is worth, some people swear by them in a 257 for black bear.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 13:23
To me, the Accubond is a better all-around bullet because of its combination of good BC and more-than-decent terminal performance. Under 150 yards, a Partition will have better terminal performance. Although, according to the Nosler rep I know, if you shoot a big game animal under 50 yards, even a Partition won't mushroom much. The Accubond 30 cal. 165 gr. is my bullet of choice - great for one-shot kills on deer and antelope out to 350 and 400 yards, respectively. It's a good elk bullet in my .308 although I won't consider a shot over 250 yards with that cartridge.
Reaction time is a factor...
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 14:15
I"ve had really good results with the 140 grain accubond in my 270.Thunbs Up  Good accuracy, expansion, and penetration.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 21:10
don't mean much being I am using these as subs and your thinking supersonic but here is a 5 (the very bottom shot was my wife with the 223) shot group at 150yds with 150gr accubonds out of a supressed 308.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 21:25
the accubonds work great 
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 05:15
I love the accubonds... I use them on almost all of my rifles... I use to play with different bullets but I found that the Accubond is all I need... Any caliber.

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
little cleo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 15:01
I had my friend work me up some 140 Accubond .270  loads and we  got a real nice group out of my gun using 57grs of  H 4831sc and cci large rifle primer.  They tested out at 2940 fps. out of my gun.  I didn't get to shoot at 200 yds yet but I will soon.  I figure 2" high at 100 yds will get me right there.   Thanks for all the info guys.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 05:54
if your a hornady person, you can try the hornady innerbond, its very similar to the accubond.
i had really good luck with the accubond in my 6.5rem mag.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 17:33
 Pyro I did try the 130 gr. Hornady interlock with H4831 58.5 gr.  got  real great 4 shot 1/2 in group at 100 yds.  The crono I shot thru had them at 3000 fps.  I had my friend work up a little hotter batch to try this weekend  but boy did they group.  How did they perform on game for you Pyro?  I would like to try the innerbond but they are double the others in price. I still might I am into tinkering
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 18:31
i shot two deer with my 6.5 with the 130gr accubonds at 3000fps, both deer were taken inside of 100yds, and they dropped like they were struck by lightening.  the terminal performance was also excellent.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2010 at 23:24
The Nosler Accubond is my favorite big game bullet overall.  I've been able to get them to shoot well in most of my rifles, and terminal performance on deer and feral hogs has been consistently excellent.  I think they offer a near ideal compromise of just the right amount of expansion and good penetration on medium sized animals. 

As far as the comparison with the SST is concerned, the Accubond is a tougher bullet.  AB has a bonded core; SST does not.  The Interbond is the closest comparison to the AB in the Hornady lineup.  Like the AB, it too has the core bonded with the jacket.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 13:23
I am just amassed  at how much knowledge I have learned from reading and asking questions on this site.  Thanks to all.
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 19:10
And what about Siroccos vs Accubond?? I´ve read a lot of good reviews about the swift sirocco, but never tried them.
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 20:00
i had little luck with the swift line up my favorite bullet is a sierra game king
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 21:00
Originally posted by Prieto9000 Prieto9000 wrote:

And what about Siroccos vs Accubond?? I´ve read a lot of good reviews about the swift sirocco, but never tried them.

pretty comparable, on paper anyway.except for the price
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 22:20
The Siroccos look like they have a thicker jacket.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 08:02
The Accubonds are engineered to be a subtitute for the Partition when more accuracy and a higher BC is wanted.  The Partition sheds ~30% of the lead in the front of the bullet and then the remaining 70% has a small frontal area left and continues to penetrate.  The Accubonds are the same.  They are designed to shed ~30% of the front lead, the front part of the jacket then folds down against the shank and then the remaining 70% continues to penetrate with it's now small frontal area.

Quoting from NRA's American Rifleman from their May, 2004 issue:

"While other bulletmakers tout 90 percent weight retention from their bonded bullets, Nosler took
a different approach. Its goal is deeper penetration, even at the sacrifice of weight retention. The
problem with bonded bullets that are designed for high weight retention is that they quickly form
a large frontal area that impedes penetration. Nosler designed its bullet to have about 60 to 70
percent weight retention. That obviously means that it will lose some weight. That's because it's
designed to shed some of the expanded bullet material to keep the frontal area of the Accubond
bullet a little smaller than some other bonded bullets. Accubond is designed for early expansion,
 but rather than tear completely apart as a Ballistic Tip often will, the Accubond's petals are
designed to fold back tighter against the bullet shank. This makes a slightly smaller diameter
mushroom to allow deeper penetration."

The Scirrrocco's, A-Frames, Trophy Bonded's and Interbonds are different in that they retain much more weight because the entire lead is bonded and they form a large mushroom with a large frontal area.  However, that large frontal area actually impedes penetration.  The Barnes TSX type bullets retain 100% of the weight but do not expand to as large a frontal area as the bonded bullets and thus will penetrate deeper than say a Scirrocco but not as much as a Partition or Accubond.

So, if you think you want a blood trail then the Accubond would be a good choice.  The initial fragmentation of the front part of the bullet is similar to the Ballistic Tip and aids in wound channel enlargement and the eventual exit may make tracking easier. 

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 08:05
Good info Sakomato..... I learn-ded something new
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 08:26
I shot 5 deer last year with 200gr accubonds and they dropped right there. I love 'em
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic