OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with safe selection and placement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with safe selection and placement
    Posted: April/11/2010 at 13:33
Ok guys, I'm looking at gun safes to prtect my investments. I have found one Particular brand thats on sale for $1600 that will fit INSIDE of my house in a closet. I really want it inside of my house if at all possible.

I have found a different brand and have found 2 different models that are bout $2200 each. They are much larger but due to my interior size contstraints, I would 99.9% have to put these larger units in my 1 car garage. I don't really want a safe in my garage as everyone sees it when I have my garage door up. Also, even though the garage is insulated, the temperature is not as regulated as the interior of my house.

I don't know what to do. Brand A for $1600 would already be at 60% capacity, but would be in the ideal spot where I'd like it to be.

Brand B for $2200 is much larger and would serve my future needs, but the placement is less than ideal.

Can ya'll offer advice?--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2010 at 13:41
Have you looked at Champion safes I know someone who bought one recently and it was quite nice - good manual dial combo.  I'd go for one that fits where you want to put it.  If you have to put it in the garage buy a tarp and cover it.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 10:32
I'd go for the interior safe, if your garage door will always be up.

I started my safe search by noting how far I was from the local police & fire stations (2 and half miles), that I had a house alarm with hard-wired smoke detectors, and that I live on a cul de sac with nosy neighbors.  If I lived 30+ miles from the Po Po, and a fire run would be 1 hour or longer, and my nearest neighbors were 5+ miles away, I'd have spent significantly more than I did.  I figure a guy would have < 10 min. to work on my safe before getting busted in this neighborhood.  

If you're way out there, and they could use a chainsaw to cut through your house, throw a chain around your safe, & pull it out with their truck, then you probably ought to look into a tougher safe, bolted into concrete in the center of your basement.

As for which brand/model to get?  I was overwhelmed.  There are too damned many choices, and I think it's a sham the safe mfgrs put on to bamboozle us.  I ended up with a Champion, but could just as easily have chosen a competitor.

And remember that all the mfgrs LIKE LIKE CRAZY when it comes to capacity!

FC
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 10:35

you could build you a small outer shell in your garage that would house the same so that it looked like a closet at first glance.  Then you could have a deadbolt on that door and a seperate alarm if needed/waranted.  I've seen those done where it just looks like a small unility closet with a lock and then you open it and its nothing but a huge safe....... just some thought

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 11:16
I'd much prefer an interior safe...confined to an area with regulated temperature / humidity controls.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 11:32
Get the biggest one you can fit in the designated space.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 13:30
 I just bought a Rhino from Costco online. It is my second safe so I bought the same size as my first, should have bought bigger the first time. Don't beleive what they say about capacity because they do not allow for scoped guns which take more room.
 The first one I bought was $1400 and I had to pick it up and bring it home, the one from costco was $999 delivered to my door. This safe is 700lbs. and it will take a heavey duty dolly and a couple of friends to move.
 Like said above all the safe makers have different hype so do some shopping the Rhino even though it is made in China compares to the rest. They also make BIG HORN and that model is American made.
 Their CS is terrific and they will bend over backwards to help you out.
froggy
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 19:13
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

I'd much prefer an interior safe...confined to an area with regulated temperature / humidity controls.
I agree completely, 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
OPT1MUSPR1ME View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OPT1MUSPR1ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 22:01
Sturdy safe http://www.sturdysafe.com/. The owner is very helpful and will answer any questions you have. I have one of them and love it. If you don't buy one from them at least check out the website for good information about safes.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 14:08

INSIDE is my vote....

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 13:10
Ok guys, I need more help so I hope its NOT against forum rules to post the manufactuers as SWFA doesn't sell safes that I'm aware of.

Brand A = Liberty Lincoln 25 for $1600
Brand B = Heritage Tradition TX 3666 or TX4073 (as they are basicly teh same price as a local sporting good dealer bought a bunch on a truck sale)

I really really like the Heritage models and they are nicely built and would last a lifetime. Plus I keep reading BUY BIGGER THAN YOU NEED!! Another reason I like the Heritages are because they are so big!

My problem is space. I asked my father for his advice and he advised to get one that would fit INSIDE of my house--as this is what I prefer due to the climate controlled environment.
The space I have is up to 80.5H x 47.5W x 29.25 D. That 29.5 Depth is what is killing me. The Heritage models are 28 inches deep. BUT you have to add another 3.5 inches for the handle!!!!!! So Realisticly they are 31.5 deep!!!

I have found some other brands that might fit my bill. Again, I'm wanting a fire resistant, largest capacity I can fit within my designated space.

Side note: The above dimensions are a hall closet. The 29.25 is to the INSIDE edge of the closet door with it shut. And thats what I'd like to keep...guests come over and look down the hallway and just see closet doors.....unaware that inside is a safe containing my most prized possessions.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 13:21
Some of the other brands I've found are:
Bighorn made by Rhino safes. They have one at Costcos (according to online) for $1300 that has 70 mins of fire protection and they are 59H x 39W x 24D.
Costcos also has 2 different Cannon Models:
EV900 for $1300 that has 30 min fire protection and is 72H x 36W x 24D
DX6040 for $2000 that has 60 min fire protection and is 60H x 40W x 24D

I've also found that the Liberty Fatboy Jr for $1300 that is 45 Mins fire protection and is 60.5H x 42W x 25D

ANyone know of other safes that fit my dilemma?
Or can I modify the closet doors somehow to fit the Heritages. I thought about hollowing them out in the center where the safe handle would be. I still think the Heritages are about .5 inches too deep---Bboy623

PS--Please help as I've gotta keep the Mrs. happy!!!  

Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 13:52
I just called Costcos and they don't carry the big Bighorns in stock...online only. I don't want to spend that kind of money sight unseen.---Bboy623
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic