OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New aspect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New aspect
    Posted: April/08/2010 at 07:24

While I was home for Easter my grandma was telling me about all the wild dogs she has been seeing on the farmland and how she thinks they have killed the wild turkeys that use to roam the fields and they have killed a few of her chickens.  Turns out they are coyotees.  We waited around until dusk and started seeing them.  Didn't have anything with me except the 308 at the time and could make them out in the scope but didnt' take any shots because of the distance they were.  So she has asked me to now kill a few being she knows they aren't dogs anymore.  I have never been coyote hunting and dont' have access to a roadrunner to do it for me (joke).  I went to Dicks Sporting Goods to see what kind of calls they had and found a couple i am going to try that came with a video too.  I plan on using the AR and I have a large open area/field that they are seen in most of the time at early light and right before dark.  As of right now we are to try to get out Saturday afternoon and call a few in.  This all depends on if we get away from a wedding we have to go to in enough time.  My wife has actually shown a lot of interest in this and I am gonna give her my old trusty 870 20ga with buck shot to take a few if they come in close. 

My question is on the ND-3.  If i mounted it on the gun would it in fact illuminate to the point I could still use the scope in the dark?  I dont fully understand it or know if yotes can see it, I know pigs can't cause yall hog slayers keep raging about it.  I know nothign about it.  If yall have any guidance on what I should try, do let me know.   I figure it it does work that way I will need a new scope cause the 10x may not work that well at night.  yall just let me know what i should expect and try to see if this works.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 14:58
Aight none of yall have any experience yote hunting you can tell me??????
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 15:08
I usually hunt in the morn and evening.  Never had much luck with after dark calling.  Never tried a ND-3 though. 

We use a Fox Pro call.  It was crazy expensive, but we call them in every time we go out.  Makes for a lot of fun.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 16:27

I've used the wounded rabbit call from the back of a pick-up parked in the middle of a field with a spot light. Depending on wind direction sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. 

I would love to try it with a ND3, looks like the perfect set up. I'm not the best marksman out there, but have shot several coyotes with a 30/30. The shots were on coyotes spot lighted and me shooting open sights aiming for center mass. 

I was hunting with my dad. It would have been a lot harder if not impossible to do solo. The lazer mounted on the gun with a scope seems like it would be the best option, but you'll still be setting it down to work a call like I had. The more expensive electronic calls would free your hands up and make it a solo sport. "provided it's not illegal to night hunt for non-protected species in your part of the world"

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 19:27
not protected and calls are fine.  I just ordered that scope i recommended to you and a ND3 so we shall see how it works at night.  Gonna put it on the 223 AR of the 308 Suppressed......Decisions Decisions
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 10:59
  Just talked to a friend this morn whose sister has had a cow missing since Wed.  She was due to calf anytime.  They found the cow yesterday evening but the calf had it's insides tore out at what must have been at birth.
  Might have to get into this coyote huntin thing!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 16:25
 My eleven-year-old son and I went turkey hunting this morning.  We were working some toms on a distant ridge when a big male coyote came sneaking in to my slate call hen-clucking.
  2 oz. of sixes from my 1100 took care of that at about 25 yards.

Pretty exciting; my son's eyes were huge when I turned toward him after shooting it!

So far this season we've encountered perhaps 50 turkeys within about  150 yards and four different toms came in to about 45 or 50 yards and hung up. I can't get 40-yard turkey patterns from my current barrel, so we had to let them walk. We had seven toms walk past us at about 25 yards when we were out scouting, (unarmed) the afternoon BEFORE the season opener. We heard them fly up to roost a little later and set up nearby the next morning, but a flock of hens on another ridge pulled them away down into a little valley on neighboring property.
 Love turkey hunting, this is only my second year of it and I'm completely addicted, and my son is well on the way to addiction himself. He is a better caller than I am already; his young ears are better at picking up on the fine notes.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 16:35

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

not protected and calls are fine.  I just ordered that scope i recommended to you and a ND3 so we shall see how it works at night.  Gonna put it on the 223 AR of the 308 Suppressed......Decisions Decisions

You only ordered 1 of those scopes?...... Really Sad  

Be really interested to see what you think of it. I will likely get one based on your impression. "since I have to buy my own Yep, Thought So"

Should be a great set up. Keep us posted man.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 19:11
Will do its backordered for a couple weeks (so CFII says) and i will let you know when i get it.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 16:08
Man o live G hasn't that CC caught fire and melted yet?!?!?!?  I think you need a kid or two just so you can see how the rest of us have to do it!!!  Wink
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 20:39
If they are out in the world I shoot 'em.  If they're in the yard and the garage, I feel sorry for them and let them eat the cat food.    Stare    
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 20:42
What if their eating the cat?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 20:43
blastem both
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 21:32
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

blastem both

Thunbs Up
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 22:06
  ummmmmm. let he who hasn't eaten some kitty fire the first shot. Wink

Edited by neilbilly - May/07/2010 at 22:06
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 22:42

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 16:46

Thats UF. 

cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 21:50
watch the cows . thats where i kill the most.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic