OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cow watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cow watching
    Posted: April/08/2010 at 00:13
Yes, cow watching.......... Well sort of.

Mom has a farm with 20 or so cows and she often observes from the porch.  Particularly of interest is being able to read the numbers on their ear tags.

My question is related to magnification.

When researching for my hunting binos, I thought I wanted 10X, but based on my education learned here, I went with 8X (Fujinon CD) and am very happy.

So I understand  the benefits to lower magnification.  However, mom isn't glassing for hours, nor is she concerned about low light, weight, etc, etc.  She simply needs magnification to make basic herd observations and read tags.

That being said, I assume 10X at least.  What about bigger?  Any other drawbacks to larger?  Inexpensive would be fine I'm sure (not from a budget standpoint, but dont see the need to pay a lot to read tags.)

If it existed, a Yosemite 12x36 would be perfect, I'd think.

Comments? Answers? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 10:34

How far away are they? Whats your price range?

Zen Ray makes some quality binos at a price thats hard to beat.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 10:47

But you might want to go with  a porro prism. Those tend to be cheaper.
Nikon, Leupold, Pentax all make porro prism style.

I have a pair of the ZRS-HD (2010 model) and they are great. So good for the money I wish I had got the ED2.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 12:39
This one will work just fine for reading numbers on a cows ear. Bandito
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 14:28
Ask yourself how steady is your Mom? Because the higher the magnification the more exaggerated any movement will appear. I have the older version of the Nikon action that Bird Watcher recommended and they are very clear in the center. Good for looking at tags.  You do notice a dishing effect when you pan across the field while glassing but no more than any other similar priced 10X binoculars.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 17:22
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Ask yourself how steady is your Mom? Because the higher the magnification the more exaggerated any movement will appear.

Mom will do OK with 10x if she uses the binocular from a comfortable 'sitting' position on the porch.
Also good for quick cat naps. Sleep
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 17:44
Originally posted by robbie robbie wrote:

However, mom isn't glassing for hours, nor is she concerned about low light, weight, etc, etc.  She simply needs magnification to make basic herd observations and read tags.

That being said, I assume 10X at least.  What about bigger?  Any other drawbacks to larger?  Inexpensive would be fine I'm sure (not from a budget standpoint, but dont see the need to pay a lot to read tags.)

If it existed, a Yosemite 12x36 would be perfect, I'd think.

Comments? Answers? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't advise higher magnification, low budget optics for the sole reason that the resolution won't be there. I think resolution would be needed to read the numbers on the ear tags. If it were me, I'd opt for better glass before I went for higher magnification. As has been stated, a decent 10x would probably fit the bill. I would opt for something like that before higher magnification, and lower quality glass in the same price range. My opinion is a 10x42 will do a lot of things well, most likely including cow watching.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 17:59
Depending on her vantage point, you might want to do what my friends did: Set up a relatively inexpensive spotting scope on a tripod. It will be steadier and easier to control and even a cheap piece o' crap will be good at 15X.
Reaction time is a factor...
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 19:08
Magnification is good, but good resolustion is important too.  She has a about a 4" tag to read.  One the better 8x42, 8x30, or 7x50's will work better than a 10x or 12x. My mom had adopted my Nikon 7x50 marine, she does about the samething on her farm.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 21:56
I raise registered Angus Cattle and cow watching is a regular daily routine.  Ear tag reading is certainly a part of that.  Pure and simple, you don't read ear tag numbers from very far away.  Our tags are Yellow, Orange, White, Blue, or Red  with black numerals.  They are something like 2'" square on calves and 3" on cows.  A 10x will have an advantage only if the glass is very steady.  I use a 7x mostly or an 8x.  Tag detail is easier to see with a sharp steady image, even if lesser power.  The 10x stays in the pickup and gets used fro a window tripod mount.  On walking inspections I tend to use the ZEN ED 7x36, ZRS 8x42 and Swift Eaglet 7x36 in that order.  6x Yosemites or 6.5x Raptors work about as well.  Kind of hard to read tags much past 300 yards with just about anything.  For one the cow or calf is almost never still.  Even if relaxing they are moving their heads to swat flies, or flipping ears.  The best way is to get their attention and get them in the "who are you and what are you up to" mode, so they are looking at you and you have their attention. 
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 22:30

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 22:38
Sorry, not my mom......

Edited by robbie - April/08/2010 at 22:38
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 22:57
Rob, please check your PM....

Edited by mike650 - April/15/2010 at 21:25
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 23:34
All is good.  I chuckled when I saw your post.  I was trying to be dead pan dry funny back at ya.

No need to fret it at all.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 00:21
Thanks Robbie.... Thunbs     Up    Thunbs     Up   

Mom's are forever "off limits"!!!! Angel
A-bar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 10:55
Klamath has it right I have 10x Bushnell legends for checking cattle my one son has 8x Minox seem to be better glass and I find my self using his when out checking for problems with my cattle. I'm looking forward to trying out the Bushy Legend Ultras in 8x36 or at least hearing how thy perform once available.I guess my point is get better 8x or like others have said spotting scope but my cows seem to be on the move too much for a spotter.

Alan
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 13:31
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

I raise registered Angus Cattle and cow watching is a regular daily routine.  Ear tag reading is certainly a part of that.  Pure and simple, you don't read ear tag numbers from very far away.  Our tags are Yellow, Orange, White, Blue, or Red  with black numerals.  They are something like 2'" square on calves and 3" on cows.  A 10x will have an advantage only if the glass is very steady.  I use a 7x mostly or an 8x.  Tag detail is easier to see with a sharp steady image, even if lesser power.  The 10x stays in the pickup and gets used fro a window tripod mount.  On walking inspections I tend to use the ZEN ED 7x36, ZRS 8x42 and Swift Eaglet 7x36 in that order.  6x Yosemites or 6.5x Raptors work about as well.  Kind of hard to read tags much past 300 yards with just about anything.  For one the cow or calf is almost never still.  Even if relaxing they are moving their heads to swat flies, or flipping ears.  The best way is to get their attention and get them in the "who are you and what are you up to" mode, so they are looking at you and you have their attention. 

Steve,  this is an interesting discussion. On my way to the office this morning, I was listening to OPB (Oregon Public Broadcast)'s Think Out Loud program. They were discussing cow rustling and how to keep track of cows in the vast open country.

check it out.

Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 16:30
Charles,

This is my idea of the Ultimate Cow-Watching binocular,
the Zen Ray  Neptune 20x80mm CF  Shocked Bandito

Stan

cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2010 at 23:49
i look at cow tags every day i have tried several different powers .right now i like 8x42 pentax dcf wp.i looked at more expensive binoculars but i could not justify the increased cost.they have been really tough.i have had them nearly 10 yrs . they look so bad i am sure no one would even steal them out of the truck but are plenty clear enough to read tags.i tried higher powers but could not see as good as the 8 power.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 13:44
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Charles,

This is my idea of the Ultimate Cow-Watching binocular,
the Zen Ray  Neptune 20x80mm CF  Shocked Bandito

Stan

Stan, I will reserve one for you. Big Smile
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic