OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

V MAX 22-250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V MAX 22-250
    Posted: April/07/2010 at 01:24
I have never loaded these bullets and I was thinking how much crimp?Seeing that they don't have a cannelure has got me wondering how much crimp is needed.Any help is always appreciated.
DSP Rock Harbor
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 06:12
i dont crimp anything, i dont see any reason to crimp the 22-250 either. just my thoughts though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 07:11
No crimp needed if the case neck is sized right.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 07:18

I lightly, very lightly, crimp some of my reloads if I can move the bullet with my fingers.  Its very rare that its needed.  However I always run my 223 for my AR through the crimp die just becuase of me throwing around the mags and for my own piece of mind.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 08:46
I have experimented with crimping v-max's with my .22-250.  Saw no benefit to doing so.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 09:04
I never crimp anything.  Even the rounds I run through my ARs I do not crimp.  Never had a problem so far.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 10:13
I never crimp anything, as well, except for my 44 mag.  I especially wouldn't crimp anything without a canulure.
fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 20:52
Loaded upsome 40gr.VMax with 36grs. of Varget will try them out this weekend,oh yeah no crimp.
DSP Rock Harbor
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 09:36
They should step right along.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 10:49
I load the v-max for my 22-250 and never have crimped at all.  Actually I have never crimped any of my load for any gun yet.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 22:08
For the most part I have totally ignored the  22-250 or for that matter anything between .22 and heavy 30 cal guns with the exception of .223 however I have recently taken an interest in the 22-250 and am considering buying one after a lengthy conversation with an older gentleman at the gun store the other day.  So do you guys like the 22-250 and how are you primarily using them - bench - coyote -- prairie dogs. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 23:23
I love my 22-250.  It is just a joy to shoot.  No recoil.  Accurate.  Cheaper to load for (compared to some of my other toys). Just plain fun, and does a number on any varmint out there.  And with no recoil to speak of you stay on target.  I use mine for target, yotes (does a hell of a job on them), prairie dogs, gophers, any varmints out there.  Feral cats.  Really want to take a wolf with it too, but I may go ahead and use my big guns for that.  There are guys that use and swear by the 22-250 for antelope and deer hunting.  And they have been very successful with it.

It is a great round for sure.  I love mine.  Downside is it is a barrel burner, but I can live with that.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ForneyRider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForneyRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2010 at 14:55
Don't crimp the bullets for a bolt action. It will distort them.

50gr Vmax with Varget, Nosler brass and CCI primer has been great in 700 VLS. I set the length to 2.35in.
When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.
jay 22/250 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay 22/250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 08:37
i use 50 grain v max. but am swapping over to 50 grain blizkings now.

varget is a very good powder as it can be used in a number of calibers with superb accuracy and speed.

ive never tryed 40 grain bullets in my 22/250 as 50's are fast enough. plus 50 grain bullets is the min over here for small deer like muntjac and cwd.

that that you would want to use a vmax on deer. as it makes alot of mess to the meat. a head or neck shot would be ok on them tho
winchester 22/250 stealth,zeiss victory 6x24x56 scope,ase mod,jewell trigger
tikka m595 222,ase mod,ziess conquest 6.5x24x50 scope.
annie 1417 22lr,logun mod,4x24 fixed mag scope
Stevey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 14:54
SmileI use Hornady bullets almost always. I have never seen a semi or fully auto .22-250 but that does not mean that they could not exist. If the bullet does not have a cannelure (ring around the bullet) do not crimp. .22 bullets are light and if case neck tension is up to specs the bullet will not move before firing in a bolt action. Crimping is for semi and full autos (AR type rifles) - slam bang.  I have a set of Lee collet dies that I use with the .22-250 and if outside neck diameter is near the specs shown in reloading manuals the bullet will not move until it is fired. Picky reloaders like me have micrometers and outside neck turners.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2010 at 17:39
The only thing I crimp are handgun rounds.After 100k & still never had a problem[nock on wood]
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 23:20
I used to reload a lot of 30-30s They always got crimped. I had a lot of fun with the 125 HP rounds on varmints in Tennessee. I prefered the 170s mostly for deer. 22-250 Never crimp. The 40s really do a number on the PDs.       Laser Zap
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic