OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some input on a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacweapon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some input on a scope
    Posted: April/07/2010 at 00:59
I am looking to put a scope in My Robinson Arms XCR. I have gone through many optics for this rifle trying to find something I like.

I have used
Millet DMS-1
Eotech 512
Burris XTR 1-4x24mm with fast fire
Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40mm

I have learned what i like and dislike from each off them.

I really liked the Millet DMS-1 but the field of view was to small and I wasnt able to find the reticle quickly on weakside shooting.

I thought that I would like the Eotech but I dont. I like being able to use both eyes open and the reticle being fast and something that I can use almost as good weakside as strong side but the lack of magnifiaction and it not projecting the reticle on the target with my strong eye makes me not like it.

The Burris XTR was very clear but the field of view was tiny and it sat to high off the rifle to use with a consistent check weld.

The Bushnell was a little to much power then what I needed and heavier but I liked the 40mm objective.

So now I am looking for my next and hopefully final scope for my XCR. I want something that is easy to use day and night, has good eye relief, is clear, has magnification, fast at close ranges but accurate at longer ranges, costs less then $700.

So far I have been looking at the
Burris EuroDiamond 1.5-6x40mm
ACOGs

Im sure that there are more out there but I cant find them.

What do you guys suggest
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 05:42

I don't have one but would guess most will say SS3-9x42. or the fixed 10xhd for a few $$$ more. I do have the fixed 20x SS scopes but they aren't for your application.
froggy
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 06:32
thats a tricky list to fill.  Maybe an aimpoint with a magnifier.  or if you can wait the new SS1-4.  Theres a thread about it you may wanna check out.http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=22981
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tacweapon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacweapon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 08:01
I was reading about the SS1-4 last night after I posted this it sounds like a great scope but it doesnt have anywhere near the FOV I was looking for. I have looked at Aimpoints but they dont work for me either the red dots and Holographs dont work the way they are designed for me, when I am using my dominant eye te reticle is still in the optic but when I use my weak eye it projects onto the target like it is supposed to thats really my biggest complaint with my EoTech. Thats why I havent got an ACOG yet is because they work off the same principle.

Froggy thanks for the suggestions but both of them are a little more magnification then I am looking for this is my go to carbine so I need it to handle 0-350 yards at the least
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 09:21
I'm not the sharpest ball in the shed, so give me some time.

I do not fully comprehend the issue with strong vs weak side; why is "projecting the reticle on the target" a bad thing?  Everyone has a strong eye and a weak eye, it is the way we are wired (most of us, that is.)  You can't beat it, learn to use it.

No magnifying scope will have as large a FOV as a non-magnifying scope, it is the nature of magnification.  Widest FOV on a non-magnifying scope is going to EoTech.

If you really liked the Millett, hold out for the 1-4SS.  The Millett had a terrible tunneling efect (image kinda sucks in the tube at the bottom end.)  The SS does not!  And at 1X on the SS, you get 1X, both eyes open is no problem.

Explain a little more, if you can, the weak eye issue, , I'm not fully "getting it."  I shoot strong and weak side interchangeably and yes, the reticle as seen in the weak eye is different than as seen in the strong eye, but that is near universally true.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 09:47
Look at the Trijicon 1-4x with the triangle reticle.  I realize it is over your budget, but it is designed for the bindon aiming concept and might help you out some.  To do that properly you really need a bold reticle that really stands out.  It seems a lot harder to me to do with a crosshair type reticle. 

I have a similar problem when using my ACOG.  It does not seem to project to the target because my dominant eye takes over.  One thing I read about doing to help with that is cover up the objective end of the optic with a cap so you can still see the glowing reticle in a black hole, but not the target through your dominant eye.  Then you still see the reticle and it now is projected onto the target with your other eye. 

In all honestly I don't know how I really feel about covering up the optic all the time for close range stuff.  But for training it might help to teach your weak eye.  Then again it might work great, I just have not done it enough to see.  The little I have tried it at the range, it seemed to work very well and makes my 3x scope quite a bit faster as I am not trying to focus from one eye to the other. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tacweapon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacweapon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 09:23
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I'm not the sharpest ball in the shed, so give me some time.

I do not fully comprehend the issue with strong vs weak side; why is "projecting the reticle on the target" a bad thing?  Everyone has a strong eye and a weak eye, it is the way we are wired (most of us, that is.)  You can't beat it, learn to use it.

No magnifying scope will have as large a FOV as a non-magnifying scope, it is the nature of magnification.  Widest FOV on a non-magnifying scope is going to EoTech.

If you really liked the Millett, hold out for the 1-4SS.  The Millett had a terrible tunneling efect (image kinda sucks in the tube at the bottom end.)  The SS does not!  And at 1X on the SS, you get 1X, both eyes open is no problem.

Explain a little more, if you can, the weak eye issue, , I'm not fully "getting it."  I shoot strong and weak side interchangeably and yes, the reticle as seen in the weak eye is different than as seen in the strong eye, but that is near universally true.

My problem is that it doesnt project on to the target like it is supposed to, Im not sure why it doesnt do that for me but with my dominant eye I see the reticle inside the EoTech housing but with my weak eye it projects on to the target like it should.

I have actually practiced both eyes open and I can do with 4x with out to much of a problem. Maybe I was getting tunneled in with the scopes and just thought it was because the small objective.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 09:26
your looking at the reticle with your dominate eye and its focusing on that where as your non dominate eye focuses on the object your aiming at.  I know what your talking about and had the same problem using one too but then learned to look through to the object and its second nature now.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tacweapon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacweapon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 09:27
Ignore above post I quoted the wrong reply and cant figure out how to delete it
tacweapon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacweapon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 09:28
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Look at the Trijicon 1-4x with the triangle reticle.  I realize it is over your budget, but it is designed for the bindon aiming concept and might help you out some.  To do that properly you really need a bold reticle that really stands out.  It seems a lot harder to me to do with a crosshair type reticle. 

I have a similar problem when using my ACOG.  It does not seem to project to the target because my dominant eye takes over.  One thing I read about doing to help with that is cover up the objective end of the optic with a cap so you can still see the glowing reticle in a black hole, but not the target through your dominant eye.  Then you still see the reticle and it now is projected onto the target with your other eye. 

In all honestly I don't know how I really feel about covering up the optic all the time for close range stuff.  But for training it might help to teach your weak eye.  Then again it might work great, I just have not done it enough to see.  The little I have tried it at the range, it seemed to work very well and makes my 3x scope quite a bit faster as I am not trying to focus from one eye to the other. 
I will have to try that thank you
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 10:30
Originally posted by tacweapon tacweapon wrote:

You will have the edit feature unlocked when you reach 50 post.  

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/09/2010 at 10:32
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 11:24

I took care of it for you. Welcome to Optics Talk.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 12:06
What you describe (reticle as seen strong eye vs. weak eye) is normal, the strong eye is always the strong eye.  A specific scope isn't going to change that or "correct" it. 
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tacweapon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacweapon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 19:38
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I took care of it for you. Welcome to Optics Talk.

thank you
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 22:01
You are most welcome.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic