OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Optics Scopes? Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golfnutrlv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Optics Scopes? Opinions?
    Posted: April/05/2010 at 20:20
Hello everyone, new member, doing research on scopes for a rifle I will soon put in my stable.

Rifle is going to be a Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 WIn.

Does anyone have any FIRSTHAND experience with Vortex? I am looking at the viper, 6.5-20 50mm.

How does this compare to other scopes in the price range? My other primary option is a Burris Fullfield II in the same power/size. I really like the Vortex, but need some insight.

Thanks everyone!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 05:08
Here is a review, not on the exact scope but still info you might like.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14395
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 10:05
Did an in- store comparison with several other scopes- a Viper 3-9x40- but no Burris...in my view, the Viper is optically equal or better than anything in it's class; 4200's, Monarchs, etc.
Fullfield IIs are nice scopes, but not as good optically, imho- I've compared them to similar scopes in past. Both scopes are highly regarded and known to be tough and able to deal with abuse.
I thought the Viper's power ring was kinda goofy looking, with that big pointer/ sharp ridge... not sure if the FFII rotates it's eyepiece while making power adjustments like the Signature Select and Euro Diamonds do- if so, that's kinda goofy, too.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 10:14
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 10:26
BTW, Koshkin's report of "tunnel vision"  in the 4-12 model doesn't apply to other Vipers, like the one you are interested in.
Many here are hoping that it also doesn't apply to the new Viper PSTs.

Others have also reported that optical quality seems to be noticeably better in the higher- magnification FFIIs than in the lower powered ones (e.g. 2-7). 
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic