OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 1-4X SS - Now Available!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 01:23
I was in the same boat leaning toward the PST but now this!
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 14:01
I realize this may be an extremely naive question but when would one use target turrets on a 1-4 scope? 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 14:03
Shots of various angles up or down, also wind shear correction.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 14:12
Originally posted by JimFromTN JimFromTN wrote:

I realize this may be an extremely naive question but when would one use target turrets on a 1-4 scope? 

When you need to hit something at 400-600 yds and a 1-4X scope is what's on your rifle.   You may not have much luck with small varmints, but for man-sized targets you'd be surprised how well a 4X can do.  
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 14:33
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Originally posted by JimFromTN JimFromTN wrote:

When you need to hit something at 400-600 yds and a 1-4X scope is what's on your rifle.   You may not have much luck with small varmints, but for man-sized targets you'd be surprised how well a 4X can do.  

Especially one with a milradian based reticle and matching milradian based turrets.

See the shot, call it, dial correction....hit....... all in under 4 seconds.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 14:38
I realize you could also use the reticle to hold off, it is just two different ways to accomplish the same result.  Some people don't like to hold off and prefer to use the center of the reticle.  If you are shooting in a substained wind, it is nice to correct it with the turret and hold dead on then return it to zero when the wind dies down.

Same thing for elevation.  If you are going to be shooting multible times at the same range and don't want to remember how many mils down to hold or you don't have the time to count everytime it is much easier to dial it on the turret and just hold dead on, then return it to zero when your done.
Blackbird97 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 12:13
How much will this cost? Also any idea on a release date? I'm in the market for the 1-4X now, and if I knew round abouts how much this would cost, I think I would wait for it. Thanks much.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 16:18
Get Your Popcorn Ready

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 09:31
I don't think pricing info is being yet made public.

I like the option of doping with the reticle and doping on the turrets, nice choice.  I tend to dope shots at the turret (unless it needs to be a particularly quick and not necessarily precise shot.)

The scope is a winner.  I'm saving a spot on my M4 for one.  For now, a lowly Aimpoint M3 will just have to do.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:12
My only question now is, what am I gonna do with my ACOG when the new SS comes out. And no you (who ever you are) can't have it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:46
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!ShockedLynn, I have a great spot to put the ACOG, I will send you pics of it to at Christmas.. It will be like Visitation Rights,,, sorta kinda!

Hmmmmm, I do have to say you guys make this new SS 1x4 sound pretty interestingSmileand you are the professionals, not I. So I may just end up with one as well...
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2010 at 20:29
My only concern with the targets style turrets on such a low power scope is they may be in the way of mounting a micro dot. We need pic of it from the side with the ruler. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 09:35
Why do you need a micro dot site on a scope that is true 1X?

What am I missing?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 09:45
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Why do you need a micro dot site on a scope that is true 1X?

What am I missing?
I don't think you are.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 14:16
In Graysteel's defense: If shooting a match where there are both long range and up close targets and time is the factor, a micro dot could be a plus.
I think Chris had real world conditions in mind for this scope, so I don't think a micro dot was considered. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 14:19
Yea, could be.

Our soldiers and Marines in the sand box probably don't want or care about a dot backup (I didn't), but it might be doable.  Hell, if nothing else, get the mount with Picatinney tops on the rings, problem: solved!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 14:31
Good suggestion RC!
You could also use one of the offset picateny mounts for the mcro dot.  

Edited by BeltFed - April/29/2010 at 14:33
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 19:00
The whole idea behind a true 1-4X is negating the need for a microdot.  With the new reticle I believe this scope will do a very good job of that on 1X. 

If planning to use an offset microdot, you might as well get a 2-7X or 3-9X scope.
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 19:18
Not sure what the the poster has in mind but there are some 3-gun and rifle competitions that require short and long shots in a short period of time.  In this case you would need a microdot and a 4x ready all the time as there is not time to adjust a scope between targets while running and reloading.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2010 at 20:43
I thought that's what cat-tails were for?    Big Grin    No, I don't doubt you, I was just under the impression the offset micro-dot was more commonly used by those without good true 1X's such as the shortdot, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic