OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Tripods, sun shades, lens covers, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reccomendations spotter tripod.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reccomendations spotter tripod.
    Posted: April/05/2010 at 08:40

Well I have pretty much 99.9% decided on gettin me a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80mm ED 45angle  spotting scope this summer June-August. My goal was to not spend over a $1000 total. So now I need to buy a tripod, but I dont know JACK about them. Although I did notice that alot of ppl seem to like Bogen. So I got up to a $250 range for a "complete" tripod. Any pointers, or other brands, models. I know they are fancy stuff about the tripod head and legs, but I dont know anything about it. I do know enough about spotters to know that I dont need to buy a $20 tripod  for my $700 spotter and expect to be able to use a 60x spotter with ease.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 08:58
http://www.amvona.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3094&category_id=95

It is a much heavier knock-off of the Manfrotto tripod, it weights about 2 pounds more and is $50 less.  A friend has the manfrotto, I have this, same thing, a little heavier, steady as hell.

Get the Manfrotto grip ball mount, it is the best way to maneuver a spotter.  Not the cheapest setup but the best I've used.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 14:55
Well from what I had read, this is what I was looking at. Manfrontto Bogen 055XDB, 128RC Tripod and head kit.  I am 6'9 and that tripod goes over 70 inches plus with the angled scope. It should be just about perfect. And it goes down to under 20 inches so when I sit down it should still be just about right. 

There is also the bogen 190xb w/ the 128RC head for a few dollars less. Not sure what the difference is other than the 190 being shorter.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 15:04
I am 6'5" and this setup is great for me, from kneeling to standing.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 15:27
The grip lock looks cool. I like the locking factor. Looks like it would be easy to rotate. How is it for tilting. Seems like that would be odd compared to the little normal lever things.

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 16:58
Im also a fan of manfrotto bogen equipment. i have the 190xb with the 700rc2 head ,went with this combo for transporting in backpack. also have the same scope your looking at . very happy with it...
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 06:58
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

Im also a fan of manfrotto bogen equipment. i have the 190xb with the 700rc2 head ,went with this combo for transporting in backpack. also have the same scope your looking at . very happy with it...

Do you find the tripod stable enough to use for high power 45-60x?

Do you think the glass is clear and useful at 60x?

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 15:31

Yes and Yes to both ?s

Huck BB62 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huck BB62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 22:55
I got the Vortex STX legs with the 322 grip. It's an awesome combo. Super steady, super easy to use. It's a little heavy, but I don't care.
!!!!!!Joe Arpaio For President!!!!!!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2010 at 08:37

Im saven up for both, Really cant wait until I get to order them.

Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 00:26
Thats what I need. I bought big camera tripod its stable but way to big and heavy.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 13:54
http://www.calumetphoto.com/1/3/majestic-tripod-head  actyally the best tripod head would be a Majestic gear driven tripod head as they will adjust up and down in minute incriments by turning the handle on the back but the head alone exceeds the price and they are heavy as hell.   SWFA carries a good selection of tripods http://swfa.com/Tripods-Monopods-and-Bipods-C799.aspx and a ball head is a good choice I use one on my Bogen (pre Manfrotto) tripod.  My suggestion is this and its reasonably close to your price range:
SLIK Tripod HeadSLIK Tripod Legs
SLIK Tripod Head
Stock # - 618210
  • Pistol Grip Head
$99.95
SLIK Tripod Legs
Stock # - 615900
  • Pro 700 DX Alloy Leg Set
$134.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic