OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics for 14.5 mid length ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics for 14.5 mid length ?
    Posted: April/05/2010 at 08:08

I just finished building a 14.5 mid-length gas carbine and would like to buy some type of optics. It has folding buis front and back.

$600 budget. Any recomendations or experiences?
Choices:
1) Vortex Viper 1-4x24 w/milrad ret.
2) Valdada 3x25 Tactical
3) Trijicon Tri-power
4) Vortex Sparc/ 3x magnifier.

The rifle is will be a all-purpose/ Plinker
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 08:23
Be mindful of those BUIS when trying to mount any conventional, magnifying scope, it will need to mount high to clear that.

For my multi-purpose rifles, I prefer non-magnifying optics, the tripower is decent, the Aimpoint M3 2MOA is my first choice.  I really like the idea of the tripower, but am not crazy about the implementation.

If you want a great 1-4X, look hard at the Trijicon Accupoint, it will push your budget a bit but is the best bet for a magnifying short-range optic (in that budget range.)

My money would be on an Aimpoint: great for close up, works well out to 300 yards or so.  If you decide on a magnifying tube later, get one, then you have 3X  (not a huge fan of the magnifying tubes behind a red dot, but some use them and like them.)

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 10:58
yep..
what he said
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Manny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 06:45
I'm far from the expert these other gents are, but I really like Eotechs with the 1 moa /65 moa reticule. I have a model 512 but the new XPS is even better. Very quick on target but precise enough to hit well with at distance. Not on the list you posted but it may be worth looking at. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic