OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.22 LR ammo and accuracy question...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22 LR ammo and accuracy question...
    Posted: April/04/2010 at 10:12
So I have gathered that a standard velocity round for a .22 LR is the most accurate round.

My question is, at what range is the standard velocity round the most accurate to? At what point would a higher velocity round be needed to keep accuracy? At 100 yards? Past 100 yards? Past 200 yards?
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2010 at 10:53
 With CCI standard velocity I can keep most of my shots in a 1.5 circle with the occasional flier out of a Savage Mark II.
I read some place that the standard velocity is the same as Gold Metal Match without the sorting for wt.. Priming material, bullet heads and cases are the same.
froggy
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2010 at 10:59
What range was the 1.5 circle for? I need to know at what point the accuracy starts to drop off and a higher velocity round is needed.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2010 at 11:05
 100 yards.
 Between 50 and 100 there was about 13-14 inches difference. I was zeroed at 50 and when I moved out to 100 I was 13-14 inches low.
 There is a video here some place that shows a guy hitting a 24x24 steel plate at 400 I don't remember if he says what ammo he was using. Do a search it should ome up.
 In is in your post on effective range for 22

Edited by rjtfroggy - April/04/2010 at 11:08
froggy
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2010 at 11:15
I posted the vid. He was using "Winchester T22 target". Muzzle velocity was 1150 fps on that particular round.

Is that SV? Or is it barely over the sound barrier?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2010 at 22:36
the bullet must be above the sound barrier, whatever that velocity is for the distance you are talking about. standard velocity rounds and match  have the velocity standardized to make high quality target pistols funtion (about 25 yds). Hammerling etc, (not ruger etc. ) types used in large matchs. As the distances are short around 25 yds, the velocity is not as important as function.
High vel. 22lr still doesn't have a good bc on the bullet at the best velocities they produce, and thats the reason subsonic comes into its own.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic