OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope and ring question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealtreeJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope and ring question
    Posted: April/02/2010 at 09:42

Please help on a couple of things......I am going with a 4.5x14x40 Leupold VX-3 scope for my rifle. This will be used for target shooting and coyote hunting, my question is.......should I go with an Adjustable Objective on this scope or no ? I will be possibly shooting out to 400 yards.

Also, this is being mounted on a Remington model 700 Sendero , which has a heavy barrel. I want the scope as close to the barrel as possible.......I need to know what Leupold rings to go with. Will low rings work, or will I have to go with medium rings ?

Thanks guys.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 14:14
i would go with the mediums, my standard m700 cdl uses low rings, but the sendero's have a beefy contour. as far as the ao goes, i prefer them for a scope over 10x
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 15:17
+1, an A/O will be usefull at 400yds.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 00:30
I  have a Sendero in .300RUM, that use to have the same Leupold as yours, except mine was the VX-III version. I also went with the AO, as I was after Elk at long ranges.
I used medium Redfield extension front, standard rear, on Redfield 2 piece bases, over a long action.
If your Sendero is a short action version, then standard medium rings in both places is what you will need.

davelandefeld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelandefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 11:24
One question begs the other.

If you go with AO you probably need medium rings to clear that beefy barrel. Leupold shows the AO bell = 2.0" in diameter.

If you go non-AO you may get a better cheek weld with low rings. Leupold shows that bell = 1.8" diameter.

2.0" - 1.8" = .2"           .2"/2 = .1"     
and .1" is the difference between medium and low rings.

If your going after yotes the AO on front vs. SF is worth looking at. You can get that AO dialed in from most shooting positions faster, easier, and with out being detected by Mr. Wile E. Coyote with the SF.

If you're not 100% sure you need a Leupold check out the Nikon Coyote Special 4.5-14x40. The Sample List has a bunch of them for $249.95 right now.

Here's a stellar review of the scope on the OT forum.

With the Nikon you'd still need medium rings most likely.

It still holds true that man is most uniquely human when he turns obstacles into opportunities.
Eric Hoffer
RealtreeJB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealtreeJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 09:34
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll go with the AO and medium rings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic