OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 3x12x44 4200 or SWFA SS 3x9-42?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ar15a292f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 3x12x44 4200 or SWFA SS 3x9-42?
    Posted: April/01/2010 at 11:52
I am looking for an Designated Marksman type scope for my AR15 rifle.  I was looking at the SWFA SS 3x9x42 but I see that the Bushnell 3x12x44 4200 has an illuminated reticle and parallex adjustment.  Both have mil dot reticles and mil turrets.  They are priced within $30 of each other.  I have heard great reviews of the SS scope does anyone have any info on the Bushnell?  Any idea of how much internal adjustment it has and how many mils per turret revolution?  Which would you go with?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 12:03
Bushy will have limited internal adjustment (50MOA I think) but with a 223 you should still be ok.  I still would take the SS just because they are tough as nails and the other benefits it offers.  FFP, turrets......etc.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
ar15a292f View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ar15a292f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 12:19
According to the SWFA website te Bushnell has FFP, .1 mill turrets and a 30mm tube so it should have more internal adjustment than the 1" models.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 12:24
your right it has 80 according to bushnell.com
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 12:27

I just prefer the SS due to the history of durability.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 21:23

The Bushnell is a decent scope, but the SS variable beats it in every worthwhile category.  I've just completed a review of the SS.  I am not a great fan of 3-9 scopes, at least I wasn't.  The SS changed my outlook.  The SS has better glass, it's tougher, it's more precise, it has more adjustment range, it doesn't have IR.  I've used the Bushnell and I really have nothing bad to say about it.  The Super Sniper is better...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Manny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 23:03
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The Bushnell is a decent scope, but the SS variable beats it in every worthwhile category......I've used the Bushnell and I really have nothing bad to say about it.  The Super Sniper is better...

Just to clarify if I can, and no disrespect intended, I thought the FFP Bushnell was just introduced, did you use this new FFP model or an older Bushnell 4200? If it is the new FFP Bushnell is there any chance of you doing a more in depth comparison?

Thanks, 
Manny  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 08:17
I had access to one model of the new Bushnell.  I only had it for a very short time (a couple of hours) and not enough for a full review.  As I said, there is nothing bad to say about the Bushnell.  It is a nice scope. I found no real faults with the Bushnell, but the turret adjustments were not quite as crisp as the SS and the SS has more adjustment range.  However, that scope had been through more people than me.  I liked it, just liked the SS better.  The SS I had for review had possibly not experienced the handling the Bushnell had.  Some of the testers I encounter can and do load a heap of torture in a short time.  The Bushnell appeared to have held up well for what it might have been through.  I can't really say how much abuse it suffered.  There were no external marks, no indications of extreme handling.  There was a "streakiness" in the ocular that I suspect was due to some mishandling, but I took that into consideration, did not count it against it.  I'm sure a new one would not exhibit that "feature".  The IR was good, but I only had it in the light.  It performed as I expected it to.  Due to time constraints, there are a number of "tests" I normally do that I was unable to do.  I did not get to do a "side by side" with the SS, so impressions are based upon a time differential.  I did not get to do a low light comparison, other than taking a quick walk from high light to a very low light condition with the Bushnell. I had much more time with the SS. 
That is the best I can do with it for the limited exposure I had.  It is a very good scope, but if I had to depend on one, I would trust the SS more.  Maybe in a few months I'll get to play more with the Bushnell tacticals. 
I was also told that the Bushnell was a few hundred dollars more than the 3-9SS.  Have not verified that...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Manny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 16:50
Thanks for expanding on your initial answer KB. Being that the Bushnell is only about $50 more through SWFA and given the "no questions asked" return policy for 4200's Bushnell has, I may pull the trigger on getting one. 
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 17:41
Can't go wrong with either choice.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 19:07
I am certain you won't be disappointed...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic