OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Horus Ballistic Calc vs. others

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grand poo bah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horus Ballistic Calc vs. others
    Posted: April/01/2010 at 02:39
LocoI have a Horus Raptor scope and am looking for a ballistic calculator that is not 190, which is what they want for theirs.  Has anyone had personal experience with this or others that offer a First shot accuracy?  Here is the link to my reticle: http://www.horusvision.com/raptor.php#

Thanks   Loco
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 04:32
What device do you want to run it on?  There are lots out there these days.  Exbal has been around forever and is well respected, there are a couple for iPhones, etc.  If you happen to have an Android operated phone or have been thinking of getting one, this is the best $9.99 you can spend:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/03/new-ballistics-app-for-android-os-smart-phones/

Most especially if using a bullet he has measured, with Bryan Litz' full library of measured G7 BC's you won't find anything more accurate at any price.

Grand poo bah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grand poo bah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 19:52
I running it on a HP pocket pc. My reticle is a x-mas tree design, not a mil-dot.  
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 20:07
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 20:11
$190 is a horrible joke, considering all the free and inexpensive (but excellent) options available. Consider that you could for $199 + 9.95 you could buy an iPod Touch with Ballistic. Then you'd have the Touch for all the other things it can do. I don't know how Horus can be serious.
Reaction time is a factor...
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 20:22
Oops... I can't seem break the habit of calling my iPod Touch an iTouch.  Embarrased

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

$190 is a horrible joke, considering all the free and inexpensive (but excellent) options available. Consider that you could for $199 + 9.95 you could buy an iPod Touch with Ballistic. Then you'd have the Touch for all the other things it can do. I don't know how Horus can be serious.

Makes sense to me....  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 20:31
Originally posted by Grand poo bah Grand poo bah wrote:

My reticle is a x-mas tree design, not a mil-dot.  

Just so you know, while it isn't a mil-dot it is mil-based.  So from the standpoint of use with ballistics software, the use is identical.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 21:07
Im using the Horus Atrag software on my Palm Pilot... works great but probably won't help you none cause I had purchased the Palm for work and then found the software for it.  The program is awesome, I hope you find what you are looking for... Good Luck!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Grand poo bah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grand poo bah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 22:02
I don't have an iphone/touch so I'm looking for some software that will work on a pocket pc.  What would anyone recommend for this purpose.  Also, I'm looking for something that will calc long yardage shots.    I Could use some reommendations on this.....Thanks

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2010 at 00:06
Here's a pretty good list of what's available:  http://www.jbmballistics.com/software/software.shtml .

Many of those are available in versions to work with various pocket PC's.  You might want to just go to the websites of each one and take a look at the descriptions of the software to see which ones jump out at you.  As you can see, most are much cheaper than the Horus.  As long as they'll give output in mils, they'll work with your scope just as well as the Horus program will.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2010 at 09:50
Originally posted by Grand poo bah Grand poo bah wrote:

I don't have an iphone/touch so I'm looking for some software that will work on a pocket pc.  What would anyone recommend for this purpose.  Also, I'm looking for something that will calc long yardage shots.    I Could use some reommendations on this.....Thanks

This guy is writing a new one and says he'll target Windows Mobile: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1681934
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic