OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FAVORITE WW2 AIRCRAFT....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAVORITE WW2 AIRCRAFT....
    Posted: March/31/2010 at 21:11

.......any theater, any side - axis or allies. 

Here's one of mine - European theater, axis..... Focke Wulf FW190

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 21:16
Here's another favorite...Pacific theater, Allies - F4U Corsair
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 21:28
+1 on the Focke Wulf FW190.

When I was little kid it was the Junkers Ju 87 "Stuka"

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 07:21
I gotta go with the P51 Mustang!  I would post a pic, but I'm too lazy to look for one, and besides, is there anyone here who actually doesn't know what one looks like?!  That fact is testament to how great an airplane they were and still are.  A classic aircraft!

The F4U Corsair is my 2nd favorite WW2 aircraft, just slightly behind the Mustang.

Edited by RifleDude - April/01/2010 at 08:22
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 08:13
B-24 Liberator - because my father flew 32 missions as a gunner; most in the ball before they removed them.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:05
Awsome, thank you to your father for his service!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:10

Here you go Ted.......

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:13
You gotta admit, the P51 is one sexy aircraft!  It just looks like a no compromises hotrod designed specifically to do what it did very well.  To this day, it's still one of the fastest prop driven airplanes ever.  The rumble of that big Rolls Royce Merlin engine is music to the ears too!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:18
P-51D for a fighter.  B-17G for a bomber.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:23
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

You gotta admit, the P51 is one sexy aircraft!  It just looks like a no compromises hotrod designed specifically to do what it did very well.  To this day, it's still one of the fastest prop driven airplanes ever.  The rumble of that big Rolls Royce Merlin engine is music to the ears too!

and the pilots who flew it loved it as well, easy to fly, fast as sin and deadly to boot. one of the best planes of all time imo.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:32
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:38
for innovation, i would have to go with the me 262

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:50
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

and the pilots who flew it loved it as well, easy to fly, fast as sin and deadly to boot. one of the best planes of all time imo.

The fact that it is still used in air racing to this day and is a fan favorite at air shows speaks to its fantastic, timeless design.  It was the first aircraft to use the "laminar flow" wing concept.  It had lots of power, great speed, excellent rate of climb, excellent maneuverability, good range... it did everything well!  It dominated against all other aircraft of its time like very few others have before or since.  It was such a formidable and admired airplane that the word "mustang" became a household name, and it's a little known fact that the Ford Mustang got its name from the P51.

I said I wasn't gonna post a pic, but this airplane is just too sexy...

Ted

Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:52
There is little doubt that the P-51 and the F4-U Corsair were the two big game changers in fighter craft in WWII. Having had the privilege of knowing veteran pilots of both, the description of either being "easy to fly" might be a little stretch. The one vet until a decade or two back, owned and still flew both. He adored his Corsair, but always kept a wary eye on the Mustang. He said either could bite, but the Mustang could bite you faster and harder.

My personal vote as favorite would go to the Corsair, mostly as aesthetic preference. But the concept of saddling up behind the enormous torque of either of these is something all pilots crave in their dreams.

Those old pilots, just kids in the day, did have to live by a couple basic rules which the Mustang pilot recounted to be "No Smoking Within 24 Hours, and No Drinking Within 50 Feet of the Airplane".
Terry Lamb
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:58
Hunter, could you post a bigger picture of that me262., I can't quite see it!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:06
Terry Lamb
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:07
The Corsair's gull wing design (to clear its enormous prop when on the ground) gave it a very distinctive look.  I've admired it ever since I used to watch "Baa Baa Blacksheep" as a kid, with Robert Conrad as the legendary "Pappy" Boyington.

I too doubt either plane was "easy to fly," but I think that term gets used interchangeably with "responsive" and "the plane does what you want it to do."  Both the Mustang and Corsair were state of the art in their time.  Those two are probably the most universally recognizable aircraft from the WWII era.  I would have to say the Supermarine Spitfire was right up there with those two in terms of performance and dominance.  It had a similar design to the Mustang, and used the same supercharged RR Merlin engine.  It too was a fine airplane.  Still, the Mustang had the performance edge.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:08
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Hunter, could you post a bigger picture of that me262., I can't quite see it!

sorry i didnt realize it was that big, on google it was pretty small.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:10
The P-51 "Worry Bird" flown by then Lt Robert Frisch somewhere over Europe, 1944. A fine man and friend of mine, he is one of the greatest generation still with us. A beautifully restored copy of "WorryBird" flies to this day.
Terry Lamb
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:15
She's a beauty, Terry!

Oh, how I would LOVE to own one of those airplanes!  If only I were filthy rich!!!
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic