OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

little help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: little help please
    Posted: March/31/2010 at 20:12
So I'm going to get a new hunting rifle.  I hunt mostly in the South East from under my stand to 300 or so yrds.  I know I'm going with 308.  So I was hoping for some help with my short list.

1.  Winchester Model 70 featherweight $649.00
2.  TC ICON classic field $730.00
3.  Tikka T3
4.  Weatherby Vanguard
5.  Remington 700 

All of them seem to run around $700.00 give or take.  I really like the way the ICON is bedded, but I'm not sure its worth the extra 100 bucs.  Accuracy is important.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 21:32
I think my the Tikka or winchester would be the top of my list.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 21:44

Heard really bad things about the trigger pull of the Vanguard. "It is hear-say, but it's from a guy I trust" If you don't mind swapping triggers it's a great shooter. The guy that told me to steer clear is the same guy that does any gun smithing I need done and makes me hand loads. I've known him for years and he had no reason to lie. 

I've shot one of the Savages with the accutrigger and it was a good shooting gun. 

You have a particular weight you're trying to stay around. I like heavy guns, but humping one through the woods for a half a mile makes you appreciate every ounce you can save. 

Of the rifles on your short list, that Tikka would be my choice. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 22:42
i have or had a win 70 , howa vanguard and several 700s. i liked 700s better.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 06:11
 Add the Savage to the short list. Take a look at the model 10's-11's.
 If you prefer SS look at the model 12's they also have a varmint contour barrel.
froggy
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:30

How do ya'll feel about CZ?  I don't like the triggers on Savage thats why their off the list.

BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:34
If you want to tinker go with the 700.  If you just want to buy and use as is go with Tikka.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:35
i own 3 out of the 5 on your list, of the three i have the rem700 is the nicest of the bunch, since my winchester doesnt have an adjustable trigger. according to weatherby their trigger is adjustable, i havent had mine apart to know what kind of adjustments joe common can make. their is no doubt in my mind that they are accurate though. the win and rem are both good choices. tikka makes a very nice and accurate rifle for the money as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:47
  ALL rifles mentioned so far are capable of offering DECENT hunting accuracy and more.  BUT in a dedicated hunting rifle I lean towards those with field strippable,w/o tools,bolts(you just NEVER know!).  This means the Winchester and Vanguard(same as the cheaper Howa by the way)that I know of.  I'm not sure about the CZ.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:48
I've had great success with Tikkas, have a .308, great gun, very accurate.

I know little about the Icon, but it costs about $200 more than the Tikka and I don't see what that $200 gets. (Also, they had a write-up in Guns and Ammo where they topped the Thompson tactical with a POS CounterSniper scope, so I'll never buy a Thompson product, stupid as that may sound.)

The Remington will be a good gun, the Tikka will probably be the most accurate out of the box ("probably" because I don't know what an Icon can really do), and the Tikka is the best value.)  Vanguard is a bargain gun, not the best (fit and finish not as good, in my opinion, having shot a few "Sub-MOA" guns), and the Winchester is a good gun but will probably never be a tack-driver.

My $0.02.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:22
Handle all of them and see which one you like the feel of best.  They all have strong points.  If you have a tie, flip a coin.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:24
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Handle all of them and see which one you like the feel of best.  They all have strong points.  If you have a tie, flip a coin.

No No, Drop some more coin and get them both! Come on Ted, you know this, man!

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/01/2010 at 10:25
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
2 Samuel 22 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Samuel 22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:29
1 - Remington 700
2 - Tikka T3
3 - Not on your list: Howa 1500 (same folks who made the Weatherby actions but for less $$$)

There's a good review of the Howa over on SniperCentral.com.
Semper Paratus - Semper Fidelis - Semper Vigilans
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 14:46
Get whatever feels best to you. I personally favor the Winchester M70 featherweights. For their intended purposes, all should shoot fine (certainly 1 minute of deer).
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 16:21
i dont care for a two position safety to much, so i like win and ruger both, course you can get aftermarket 3 position safeties for the m700, and maybe you can for the others as well, i dont know for sure on that.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 16:50
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Heard really bad things about the trigger pull of the Vanguard. "It is hear-say, but it's from a guy I trust" If you don't mind swapping triggers it's a great shooter. The guy that told me to steer clear is the same guy that does any gun smithing I need done and makes me hand loads. I've known him for years and he had no reason to lie. 

I've shot one of the Savages with the accutrigger and it was a good shooting gun. 

You have a particular weight you're trying to stay around. I like heavy guns, but humping one through the woods for a half a mile makes you appreciate every ounce you can save. 

Of the rifles on your short list, that Tikka would be my choice. 

Weatherby is trying to tackle the trigger problem that they've had in the past. Since they took their new stance on trigger pull, I bought a Vanguard Backcountry. The trigger broke about 3 lbs, and had very little creep. Since I like REALLY nice triggers, I still put a Timney in it. For $100, I felt it a worthwhile investment.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 17:40

Thanks Trigger. Good to hear. 

This has been about 18 months ago when I was looking to replace my dad's .308's "model 788 remmy and winchester model 100" with a new bolt gun for hunting. My friend had just replaced a trigger assembly on a Vanguard for another guy. He still had the gun at his place and after handling it I was impressed with the fit and finish. I asked him what he thought and he pulled no punches about the trigger. He was impressed with it's accuracy after replacing the trigger though.

Good to know they actually are not only aware of the problem, but concerned enough to address it. 

I Bought the Smith and Wesson IBolt in .30-06 and really like it. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 17:56
  Afraid they been addressing that trigger problem a LOOOOOOONG time.  When I had my S&W (Howa) worked on back in the mid 80's(pre Timney) the gs did the best he could with the factory trigger. Result was 3#'s w/creep he couldn't get out.  Replaced it with a Timney when they were introduced.  I have read in the past few years where some guys say their Howa/Vanguard triggers are fine. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 20:57
The Tikka's are a little on the "light" side for me.  I'm a 700 fan........ love the CDL!  
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic