OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger M77 Mark II Upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txaggie9307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger M77 Mark II Upgrades
    Posted: March/31/2010 at 16:50
Hey guys,

I just aquired a stainless .270 Mark II with the ugly Skeleton stock from my brother (he only shot 1 box through this gun!) and I am looking to try and make this thing more accurate.  Any recomendations by any Ruger M77 owners?

Thanks,
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 17:53
How does it shoot now?

First, either replace the non-adjustable trigger with a Timney or other good aftermarket trigger or have your gunsmith stone the sear surfaces and install a lighter trigger spring.  A crisp 2-3 lb. trigger is good for a hunting rifle, and will help you to reap the accuracy potential the rifle is capable of.  I would do this regardless of how well the rifle shoots.  I don't care for the factory Ruger trigger.  The newer trigger is better, but still not great.

Second, properly bed the stock.  I would replace that particular stock entirely, if for no other reason than I don't like the way it looks.

If bedding and adjusting the heavy factory trigger to a more reasonable weight doesn't give you the accuracy you expect, have the crown recut and muzzle chamfered.  Get some JB Bore Paste and polish the hell out of the bore.

Experiment with different amount of torque on the front (angled) action screw, and don't tighten the rear screw as tight as the front.

If none of the above measures produce good accuracy, then you most likely have a bad barrel, and the only solution is to replace it.

Keep in mind that 1.5 MOA accuracy is pretty typical for a sporter weight factory rifle, so if you are getting that level of precision or better from your rifle, that's actually pretty good... especially for a .270.

Edited by RifleDude - March/31/2010 at 17:54
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 18:30
Ted got it pretty much right on. 

I have a MkII in .270 but with a laminated wood stock.  Trigger was terrible, had that worked on and that helped a lot.  Mine is pulling 2.75 +/- and is crisp.  With factory Win 130gr PP ammo can shot 1MOA if I do my job.  Rifle likes that round/combination so well I reload as close to factory as I can get.  

Bedding.  I did bed mine and it did change the grouping a little.  Not terrible but I do need to tweak the load to reign it back in.  Overall I think bedding is a good thing because it removed play.  Anytime you change something, it will have an effect on other things.

Barrel on mine was fine, but they will vary.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Txaggie9307 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txaggie9307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 08:17
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Ted got it pretty much right on. 

I have a MkII in .270 but with a laminated wood stock.  Trigger was terrible, had that worked on and that helped a lot.  Mine is pulling 2.75 +/- and is crisp.  With factory Win 130gr PP ammo can shot 1MOA if I do my job.  Rifle likes that round/combination so well I reload as close to factory as I can get.  

Bedding.  I did bed mine and it did change the grouping a little.  Not terrible but I do need to tweak the load to reign it back in.  Overall I think bedding is a good thing because it removed play.  Anytime you change something, it will have an effect on other things.

Barrel on mine was fine, but they will vary.

Which laminated stock do you have? I have the ugly black skeleton stock and would like to get a boyds thumbhole laminated or try to find a factory laminated Ruger brand, or a tactical style (which is hard to find)?
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 08:33
Tx I have the factory Ruger laminated stock.  I like, it fits me.  Friend has the exact same gun you have.  Agree, it is not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:03
TXaggie,
For M77 Mk II aftermarket laminated stocks, check out Boyds.  They have a classic style called the "JRS" (for Jon R. Sundra, who supposedly designed it) and a thumbhole style stock.  They may have other styles, but those are the two I've seen offered for the Mk II.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 09:29
I used to have a MK II with the boat paddle stock.  My uncle has a few of them.  What has helped is the Timney trigger.  A couple have stoned surfaces and new trigger spring.  Both methods work nice.  It is cheaper to go with the trigger spring and stoning.  With factory Ruger triggers you need an oak tree and winch to pull the trigger.  Changing the stock helps as well.  I pillar bed my Remys but have not done a Ruger. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 10:20
It's a little difficult to pillar bed an M77 with the angled front screw, but it can be done.
Ted

270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 16:46
My MKII with the boat paddle stock responded very well when my gunsmith worked the factory trigger.  Took it from almost 9lbs with a lot of creep to a crisp 3.5 lbs and very little noticeable creep.  Only charged me $30 to boot.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 03:30
Get a Timney trigger...(either the full kit or just the sear) and shoot proper target ammunition such as Federal Gold Medal Match and not cheap ammo.

Works for me and my Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308. 
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
284winguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 284winguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 07:42
 I'd start with the trigger too. I like to be in the 3lb area, maybe 2.5 depending on use.
Stevey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 15:07
SmileSome Ruger M77, MKII's are good shooters some are not.

I have a good assortment of M77, MKII's and have found the plastic stock needs less work for good accuracy than the wood stock. Brownells has a newer type replacement plastic stock for M77, MKII's that looks better than the old type. Plastic stocks can be epoxy bedded. The wood stocks with Ruger's diagonal bedding screw often use extraordinary front (large) screw tension to draw the small recoil lug into contact with the back of the lug recess. The wood stocks really need to be epoxy bedded. The great Leonard Brownell designed the M77 stock and I prefer it to the Boyds classic. Many wood M77 stocks have much sap wood that the factory has skillfully hidden with a thick layer of stain/finish.

The factory trigger is terrible but it can be fixed by carefully stoning the sear to reduce the amount of engagement (unless you have really thought this out go to a good gunsmith), the amount of trigger spring force can be reduced by grinding off 1 to 1 1/2 coils. Replacement triggers cost about $100

Barrel quality varies from very good (under 1 moa) to bad (3 plus moa). Rebarrel jobs are real expensive but so are bullets, powder, brass, primers, ammo. After messing with stock & trigger consider a rebarrel job or short range shooting. One my Ruger M77 barrel had a knife sharp edge at the back of the barrel and chamber that shaved brass from each loaded round. Hopefully Ruger has improved its barrel quality.
Ky hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 21:57
I also have the same rifle you have. I bought the first one that I saw. I agree it is not the prettiest rifle, but mine shoots very well. I have hunted many years with it and will not part with it. I shoot hand loads and still have the targets from the first loads fired from it. The groups are 1 inch at 100 yards. I have done better that 1 moa at longer ranges. I have also had the trigger work performed on this rifle. I am very happy with mine. BTW mine likes 140 grn  Hornady bullets and IMR 4350.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic