OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Russian Boar is almost done

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 14:51
Goona do a skull/euro mount?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 16:47
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Goona do a skull/euro mount?

No, it;s just sitting on my shelf, no mount.

Still cool as hell.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2010 at 22:44

Very Cool RC!

Im curious you never did say what it was about the 6.8 you did not like?.  Maybe Im mistaken but did you not replace it for a 308??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 09:45
Given that most of my hunting is done from moving positions, off hand shots; the 6.8 hit him about .75 inches too far back, nicked his spine but didn't hit the cord.  The bullet is about 100 grains moving at about 2700 FPS.  My complaint is that the bullet is too small to for the big boars (for 200 ppounds or so, it is more than adequate.)  I moved to a .308 because, with that gun, I am firing a 175-grain bullet moving about 2650 FPS.

For deer or home defense or many, many other tasks, the 6.8 is a great gun, much better than a 5.56 - no question.  For hunting big pigs, it isn't ideal unless you are hunting from a fixed position with support and can take your time on the shot.  Granted, an AR10 off hand is allot to negotiate, but i am more confident with a 308 that a miss by .75 inches will still put the thing down hard.

I liked my 6.8, in some ways i regret selling it; but for my purposes the 308 is about ideal.

(You may want a gas buster for your 6.8, mine was way overgassed.)
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 13:51
Thanks for explaining that RC, my wife Kathy loves that 6.8 and its easy to shoot as well. I can see now though why you choose going with the 308. Go get those Pigs!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 11:46

My taxidermist does good work!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 11:51
i bet you paid well for it too.

it looks excellent!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 12:13
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 12:19
Looks great man!Thunbs Up
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 14:43
that is one beautiful mount Rancid Coolaid ,thanks for sharing.
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 23:36

This pig was between Rancid and I when he fired those 8 rounds of 6.8.  Despite being shot with a supressor - you really are aware of the fact that you are being shot at!  Rancid's response = "if I were shooting at you...you'd be dead."  Perhaps.

I saw the completed beast in person today, and he really looks better than the pictures give him credit for.  Nice pig buddy.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 12:02
Awesome -- I love it.   Paul wants to hunt a pig really bad Ted is going to hook him up.   Thats a great mount buddy.    Wound those suckers and they will hunt you back I think the .308 was a good choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 12:08
RC, that turned out great!!! Your taxidermist did a hell of a job.... Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 12:13
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Paul wants to hunt a pig really bad Ted is going to hook him up.  

Yep, name the time.  I killed 2 last night in fact.  My place is so infested with them, it's hard NOT to kill a pig if you put in any effort at all.

Nice looking mount, Jeff!  He did a good job making the mouth look real, and the eyes he used are very realistic looking!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 22:53
Great Jeff. I am sure you are proud. Good mount for sure.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 05:27
  +1!!

Told the wife I'd like one.  Said I'd have to keep it in the garage!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 06:17
sounds like something my wife would say, but i dont have a garage!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 06:21
Sounds about right Pyro, I asked my wife if we could bring up a couple der mounts to keep here in the townhouse and she just laughed
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 06:34

She LAUGHED?!?!?!     Now that's being down right mean.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2010 at 06:50

And the funny part to me is now that she is showing some interest in hunting she said her first deer she wants to mount and put on the wall....Shes already picked out a spot for "her" deer too! In the townhouse!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic