OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ziess Conquest or Kahles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac11700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ziess Conquest or Kahles
    Posted: March/29/2010 at 07:04

Great site Guys..

I am wanting to purchase either one of the Ziess Conquest 3x9-40 Rapid Z 600 scopes...or one of the Kahles 3x10-50 Multi zero off of (other site.)

While both are highly rated scopes that have a strong following here..I was hoping there might be some here that could explain a few things to me about them.

I will be using these scopes on a customized 26" long barreled 30-06 break action single shot rifle.It will be used for everything..from target shooting out to 600-800 yards to varmint hunting,coyotes and hogs,to deer sized animals up to elk. It will be my go to rifle for everyday usage.

My needs are besides having the clearest brightest viewing available is that I need the widest eye box available as well. One thing I hate is having a scope black out on me from not having my head being perfectly placed in 1 position on the stock. The Leupold's I have owned in the past have eliminated this problem since they have the most generous viewing I have experienced so far. 

The Khales is significantly more money..and while I would love to have either one,I don't want to spend as much for either one if both have critical head placement on them.

I've read most of the comparisons here and found none that have commented on this aspect. They both have features I would like to try and both are higher rated scopes than any I have previously owned. I just want to make sure I am not making a $600 mistake with either.

Lastly..can this particular Zeiss scope  be retrofitted with their Hunter Turrets.?

Thanks for you help

Mac

Edited by tahqua - March/29/2010 at 11:37
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 07:28

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The O.T. Rules

1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging or game in the bed of pick-up truck are not respectable.

2.  No personal attacks.  If you think someone is an idiot, (chances are) everyone else does too.  No need to post it.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

4.  No religious discussions or politics unless it relates to guns, optics, and or shooting.

5.  PM stands for Private Message.  Do not publicly share PM's without the consent of the sender.

6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

7.  For Sale ads are to be placed in Member's Trading Post area only.  Read the For Sale Rules prior to selling.

8.  SWFA's OpticsTalk forum is a peaceful community of like minded shooting, hunting and outdoors enthusiasts.  Open minded, logical, rational debates are healthy and welcome.  Close minded, agenda pushing, strong handed debates (bordering on arguments) to prove one's position or point simply for the sake of winning or to gain some perceived power are not welcome.

Please do not advertise for other optics vendors, Rule 3.  SWFA provides this forum and with respect postings to other vendors should not be used.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/29/2010 at 07:29
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Mac11700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac11700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 07:33

Sorry...Can I modify my post..

Mac

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 08:06
Only after you hit the 50 post mark. No worries,  A moderator will come by and clean it up. 

Welcome to the OT.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Mac11700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac11700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 08:34

OK..Thanks

Mac

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 08:57
Kahles, hands down
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 09:01

No scope can overcome poor shooting skills. Now with that said, Both the Conquest and the Kahles have a large eye box with generous eye relief and are easy to get behind. To me the Kahles has better contrast which helps in picking out game in very low light.

When ever you are not directly behind the scope you increase parallax. Not having a consistent head position with good cheek weld will degrade your accuracy. No scope can help this. Some forgiving scopes will allow you to increase this habit. I would rate the Kahles the better scope but you get more value for your money spent with the Conquest. It is almost as good. SWFA has the price match Guarantee so be sure to check before you buy from a competitor. In the end I have found the Customer Service of SWFA to be worth a lot.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 09:23
I also think you get more value for the money from the conquest, but the glass in the kahles is near Alpha level. To me its a pure economics call, if you can afford the kahles by all means go for it.  If your looking to keep the budget intact, its hard to beat the conquest, both are great scopes.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Mac11700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac11700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 09:40

Is there a contact number I can call and talk to someone for SWFA about the price matching?

Mac

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 09:42
Most people would find it hard to benefit from any optic with better glass than a Conquest. I'd also consider the following: Are you going to shoot in low light much? Then the Kahles' larger objective would be nice. However, it's going to be a bigger scope and sit higher on the rifle, which usually makes it harder to get a sight picture. I seriously considered getting a Kahles a year and a half ago, but dropped that idea when Kahles pulled out of North America. However, looks like they're now back with a U.S. distributor - Gamo. I'd check first to make sure you can get U.S.-based repair service should something go wrong.
Reaction time is a factor...
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 09:57
1-972-SCOPE-IT
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 09:58
Originally posted by Mac11700 Mac11700 wrote:

Is there a contact number I can call and talk to someone for SWFA about the price matching?

Mac

http://swfa.com/ContactUs.aspx
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Mac11700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac11700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 10:03

Thanks..

I did find a contact number for SWFA and spoke to a very nice lady there..and they can't beat the price I am getting for the scope shipped.

Even though Kahles repair center will be here in my home state..the thought of having to have it shipped over seas if something goes wrong with it is a major detractor,not that anything will go wrong with either scope ..but accidents do happen.

I also spoke with the C/S department of Zeiss and they can install the turrets for $50 per turret plus shipping..so that is another plus for me on which to choose..

Thanks for your help guys..I appreciate it 

Mac

GamoOutdoor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GamoOutdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 10:58
Hi there,

I wanted to let everyone know that any warranty, repair or customer service inquiries for any Kahles products will be handled in the US by Gamo Outdoor. No international shipping fees will be necessary.

Kahles USA
Here to answer questions regarding Gamo, BSA Optics, Kahles Scopes and Laser Genetics.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:07
Good to know, welcome to the forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic