OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Suggestions
    Posted: March/28/2010 at 21:28
Hi Guys -
I am picking up a Weatherby Mark XXII 22LR this week and need a scope.  Primary use is at the range 50 - 100 yds with possible small game hunts.

Thinking of a 3-9 variable price range is $400-$500.

How is the Zeiss Conquest?  It has pretty good reviews here.  How thick is the reticle would it be to thick for precision shots in paper?

Are there any others you would recommend?  Is that power enough?

Thanks!

Edited by Old Glory - March/28/2010 at 21:30
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 21:50
The Conquest would be my first choice in that price range.

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

Second choice would be this one.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-4-16x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P11606.aspx

I've actually looked through both of these. Both have very good glass. The Zeiss was a little clearer, but only a little.

Neither should be a problem with the cross hairs obstructing your view of the target at 100 yards.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 10:22
bsa sweet 22 39.95 ,i would not get the zeiss for less than 100 yds.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 10:32
I have an older XXII and I cannot fit a 40 mm bell on the rifle with proper eye relief and Talley medium rings (only ones available for mine).  You may want to look into the 36 or 32 mm bell scopes first.  Just my 0.02.

I have a Bushnell 3200 2-7x32 on mine.  Just sighted it in this weekend.  Nice rig...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 19:49
Conquest is a very good choice if you are looking for a 3-9x40 scope.

However, since this is going on a rimfire rifle where there will be quite a few shots at closer ranges, I would look at something with adjustable parallax.

A good rimfire scope roughly in your price range is this:

For less money, I would look at the following (in no particular order):

ILya

Old Glory View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 04:58
Thanks ILya...lots of choices.  It is hard to make a decision without actually looking through the scopes.

How is the glass on the Sightron?

Thanks!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 13:14
Originally posted by Old Glory Old Glory wrote:

Thanks ILya...lots of choices.  It is hard to make a decision without actually looking through the scopes.

How is the glass on the Sightron?

Thanks!

It is quite good, especially in the Big Sky model.  It is similar in overall quality, to Conquest, Elite 4200, etc

ILya
Old Glory View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 19:54
Thanks guys.  I have some more research to do but you pointed me in the right direction.
Safari317 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safari317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 21:31
This 3-9X Leupold Rimfire Special is $300 and has fine crosshairs and is parallax adjustable to as close as 10 meters.

Armchair Bwana -Jeff in MN
Old Glory View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 08:47
Originally posted by Safari317 Safari317 wrote:

This 3-9X Leupold Rimfire Special is $300 and has fine crosshairs and is parallax adjustable to as close as 10 meters.

Any negatives to this scope?

Primary purpose is precision shooting at the range. Secondary is plinking in woods.

I want a quality scope with good glass. I don't want to go cheap then regret it and have to buy a different scope.
Price range $300 - $500.

Thanks!
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 16:38
I am very pleased with a new Conquest that I just picked up a few days ago.  I'm worried that it is going to cost me money replacing my other rifles with Conquests.Big Grin
Safari317 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safari317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2010 at 09:44
You will appreciate a scope with fine crosshairs for precise aiming.  Don't think you can get that in a regular hunting rifle scope, but I'm not sure.  My rimfires wear the Leupolds.  They make a 2-7X as well for $220.
Armchair Bwana -Jeff in MN
Old Glory View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 18:28
Hi guys thanks for the advice.  I went with the Sightron Bigsky 3-9 they were out of the Leupold rimfire.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 19:34
Please post a pic of that rig when you get it all together. Thunbs Up
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Old Glory View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 19:59
Will do.  The scope came yesterday.  Still waiting for the rings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic