OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Slug gun options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug gun options
    Posted: March/28/2010 at 10:06

I have a Benelli M1Tactical with a Pictinnany rail installed on it just in front of the ghost ring sight. I want to use this for deer hunting at less than 100 yard ranges. I think a red dot type scope would be perfect but I need help with the choice. I need something that can take the recoil of the shotgun as well as the weather during the hunting season. Most folks I know have gone through several cheaper red dot scopes and seem to change every couple of years. I would like to do this once.

Some folks have suggested an Aimpoint and the deal currently on the samplelist but I think the mount is too high and will force a poor cheekweld as well as the scope is 4 MOA rather than 2. Are there any other brands or models folks want to recommend?

shawn1885 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn1885 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 12:33
I am planning on putting one of the Leupold prismatics on my muzzleloader this year.
We are not allowed to use scopes above 1x in Wisconsin on our Muzzleloaders.

Prismatic 1x14mm Hunting Illum. Reticle would also be a great slug gun optic.

I used a shotgun for years here in Wisconsin and it had a 1.5x5 Leupold on it.

If I were to start using it again I would upgrade to the 1.75x6 VX3. 

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 12:37
Burris Fastfire would be another option but I think it's a 4 MOA dot also.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 13:17
I've got experience with less expensive red dots, but have no idea how those would hold up to a slug gun.

This might help some.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19278

Welcome

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 16:08
If you want a smaller dot than the 4 MOA dot on the Aimpoints, the Eotechs have 1 MOA dots, and they mount fairly low, with a pretty unobstructed view through the aperture.  The reticle isn't a single dot, though; it's a circle dot, and you may or may not prefer that style.  I have one on my Benelli Black Eagle 12 ga, and it has held up fine to a pretty steady diet of slugs.  The only real disadvantage to the Eotechs is they don't have anywhere near the battery life of the Aimpoint. 

http://swfa.com/EOTech-Tactical-Holosights-C86.aspx
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 16:37
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=22073
if you go eo get the new one with the battery running accross as the recoil from the slug gun will hammer the ends of the batteries , breaking the seals and shorting them out, (from experience).
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 20:17
I'd use the Aimpoint  9000L wiht the 2 moa dot in low 30mm rings.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic