OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Talley torque specs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safari317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talley torque specs?
    Posted: March/27/2010 at 09:30
Hi all.  I have a set of Talley Lightweights and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 to mount on my M70 '.06.  Does anyone know what the base and ring screw torque specs are for these mounts?  Do I need to call Talley?  The packaging that they came in doesn't have any instructions or torque specs...I do have the Wheeler torque wrench.

Thanks in advance.
Armchair Bwana -Jeff in MN
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 10:02
  This was posted back in Nov:

Talley light-weight allow scope mounts
(specs not listen online, I called, he said it was OK to post these, call to verify if you wish)
base to receiver:20-25in/lbs
ring halves:15-20in/lbs
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Safari317 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safari317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 10:25
Thank you 300S&W!
Safari317 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safari317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 10:53
Do you all put anything on the inside of the rings to help grip the scope?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 11:22
  I don't because I've never had a slippage problem..  With todays matte (course) finishes it seems the grip they give is sufficiant.  I do wipe down the mounting surfaces of the reciever,scope,rings/bases,and mounting screws with alcohol to remove any unseen residues.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 11:41
To get the most grip you need to lap your rings. I just bought a set of Talley's for my Rem, 700. When I laid the scope in the rings you could see a gap on one side of the lower half of the ring where the scope tube did not make full contact. I lapped them and all is perfect now. I believe you should lap all rings if possible. A lot of time the reciever holes are not perfectly square on some rifles and lapping will help with mis-alignment issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic