OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for inexpensive pair of binos...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for inexpensive pair of binos...
    Posted: March/26/2010 at 23:10
As the subject heading says...i'm thinking of the words: inexpensive, rugged, quality, value for money...

Looking for a full size pair for hunting and if possible shooting range work.

Suggestions? Leupold Yosemite, Bushnell??????
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 10:31
If you want a full sized roof prism binocular for not much money, then the Leupold Yosemites of the roof prism world are the Zen Ray Vista and Atlas Radian @ $130.  If you are looking at glass in the $200 or just above range, then the Zen Ray ZRS HD or the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD would be the way to go.  The Vortex Diamondback is a pretty decent glass too.  Another good choice is the Leupold Acadia.   Both of the last two sort of split the price bracket.  If one of those doesn't do it for you at the price, then...I guess I don't know what else to say.  
Just remember you have a heck of a wish list for that price. Smile

Edited by Klamath - March/27/2010 at 10:37
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 11:45
These are very rugged, waterproof/fogproof, for the money.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 02:12
You kinda have to be ore specific.  What is inexpensive for you? how much magnification are you looking for?

A while back I put together some binocular recommendations for different price ranges:

Perhaps, this will give some options.

ILya
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 08:34

The limit is US$200. What is everyones opinion of Leupold Yosemites??? Which is best...6X or 8X??? I can get them easily over here.

John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 13:52
The Yosemite 6X30's are amazing for the money.  My 83 year old mother uses them with ease.  I keep mine with me just about all the time.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
2 Samuel 22 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Samuel 22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 15:59
+1 for the Yosemite Binos, I use the 8x30's and love them.
Semper Paratus - Semper Fidelis - Semper Vigilans
joanna View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Spammer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 04:17

(Removed spam advertising link.  User suspended for 5 posts in violation of forum rule #3 and for being a spammer.)

Edited by RifleDude - May/19/2010 at 07:26
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 05:34
 OT rule #3:

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 06:53
+1 for Leupold Yosemite in either 8x or 6x.  Can't beat them for the money PERIOD!
D. Holmes
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 10:21
Just bumping this old post of mine...

A week ago I decided to get off my butt and order a pair of 8x Leupold Yosemites in mossy oak blaze. They put it on order (about a 2 week delivery) and yesterday I went to the shop to put some money down (layby) and they already had it in stock. Loco Anyway I was allowed outside of the shop to test the demo pair and my first impression of them is WOW! I was looking at a phone box (local example given below) that was about 200 metres down the road and I could clearly see the blue "Telstra" sticker on the top of the side window (letterings about 2 inches tall). The lettering was crystal clear and the whole view out these Yosemites was crystal clear too. I love them.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 21:09
Finally got them yesterday. Still impressed with them. Will be taking them to the football tomorrow to test them out fully.

Oh, FYI, Leupold Yosemites are listed as "Made in China" on the packaging.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 22:01
Apostle:

Good for you, the Yosemite is a fine optic.  I hope you enjoy them, and Leupold is a very
good company to buy from.  None made in Australia, from what I know, and none in the
USA.

Yes, all optics in the lower price ranges are now made in China.  Only the top brands, and
you know their names are made in Austria, Germany or Japan.  Mid level brands are made
in Hungary, Czeck, and others. 

Others may want to chime in here.

Jerry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic