OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22-250 36gr VG's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22-250 36gr VG's
    Posted: March/25/2010 at 07:32
I loaded up some 36gr Barnes varmit grenades for my savage 22-250 LRPV. This rifle has a 1-9 twist. the 36gr were traviling 3950. I loaded these to just see if they would stay together or fly apart. the grouping was not to bad for the first load. I them proceded to shoot 20 shots of the pet load of 70gr berger VLDs with 32gr of varget pushing them with CCI match LR primers. here is the target. The dot above the center was a blow bach from our back stop.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 08:01
I'd say the VLD load was money!  good shooting BD.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 08:26
That looks pretty crappy. The other 19 rounds must have gone off the paper???? I can see only one bullet hole.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 10:17
Agree 8's, he needs to find a new load.  And people think Savages make a decent rifle.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 10:26
What distance did you shoot this at
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 10:27
103 yards.

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 10:33
Going to keep working with the 36gr pills or try something else?
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 10:45
I'm not sure yet. the 70 do great but the 36's would blow tree rats up pretty good I think.

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 10:48
The 36's would.  Ever messed around with 55grs?  Use nosler bt's for p-dogs in 55 gr and they are devastating.  Even on little dogs they produce a heck of a splat.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 10:49
Those Varmit Grenades do some serious damage from the youtube videos.   Question with that fast a twist and that light a bullet is there a chance it could harm you barrel?  I always wanted to try the VG's but figured my 1-9 twist was to fast for the light bullet to stablilze and didnt know if it would mess up either.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 11:01
It might wear it a little but that happens anyways. I have some 55gr Vmaxs loaded and they shoot well also.

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 11:22
You can always slow them down, who knows if they will group better slower.  Both of my .22-250's love 50 or 55grs.  Ruger is 1-14, Savage is 1-12.  Never tried 36 or 40grs.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 07:00
The low low end the 36'ers will still be over 3,500 fps. I just want to see if i can ge them to work. The 70's have been the cats meow in that rifle but they don't explode stuff like the 36'ers will. or maybe a 55BT as someone said ^^^ There. I'll get some of those too and try. I'm all about shooting some stuff.

fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 15:20
BigDaddy,I just bought a 12 LRPV dual port model with 1-12 twist.Did you have to special order the 1-9?I have been trying for a couple of weeks to find some Varget with no luck so far.Anyways good shooting the squeaks won't know what hit em.
DSP Rock Harbor
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 08:47
I bought mine off another forum (LRH) with the 1-9. I have a few rifle that shots varget well so i stocked up along time ago and I'm glad I did, it has dried up here since then also.

dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 21:00
My AR-15 shoots those Varmint Grenades into 3" groups at 100 yards. I don't think that slowing them down will help much in a .22-250. The comments around the 'Net seem to indicate that this is pretty typical performance. I'm wondering what I'm going to do with the rest of the box of bullets. I'm going to get tired of  blowing up jugs of water with them.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 21:02
shoot badgers, or if your feeling a little froggy you go after mailboxes or bald eagles!Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic