OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22-250 Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22-250 Scope
    Posted: September/18/2005 at 21:39
I just ordered a new Remington 700 VSSF in 22-250 and am looking for a new scope for it.  I will use this gun primarily for coyote, but will also use it for the occassional fox that strolls by.  Since I am fairly new to predator hunting I am in the need of advice; What magnification and objective should I be looking for? Can I get a good quality scope that will last me for years in the $400-450 price range?

Thanks in advance.

--Jim

ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 22:39

What area of the country do you hunt and what type of terrain?  Are you calling or hunting bait?  If you're shooting across fields at distances out to 400, a 12-16 top-end should be plenty.  If you hunt a lot of brushy hills, a 3-9 or even a 2-7 might be a better bet.  Just keep in mind, as power goes up, FOV goes down.  And it's no fun to muff a chance at dog that popped up 40 yards from you because you couldn't find him in your scope.  Don't ask how I know.

I personally prefer around 40mm objectives.  They mount a bit lower than the 50's and on a predator rifle, I like to be as compact as possible.  If you went with a 2-7 or the like, I would be comfortable with a 33-36ish.  That would actually be a good fit on the vssf.  My calling rigs all have 3-9's or 3-10's, and only that much because I hunt from small patches of brush and woods looking over lots of open fields.

And $400-450 will get you a scope to last a lifetime.

jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 06:14
I will be calling using mouth calls, and be primarily be hunting in farm country in south/central Michigan, where the terrain is slightly rolling, but fairly open. I will be heading to California the end of October for two weeks for a bear hunt in the mountains, and plan to take the 22-250 along for coyotes, fox, and bobcat.  When I was out there last year we saw quite a few predators, so this year I figured I would try to bring some of them back with me :) Out there it is very hilly, with primarily sage brush as cover. 

I was thinking of a 4-14x40, or something along those lines, as like you said, I don't want to miss a shot on a close dog. However, I also don't want to miss a chance at fox 300 yards away because I can't dial in close enough.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

ZombieFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZombieFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 08:22

Try a Burris FFII. I just received mine and it is great. Works excellent for my 75grn. .223's. I have gotten a few first round p-dog kills at 500 with it so far. Very good for yotes and p-dogs.

It is better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it.
jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 08:46
ZombieFan,

Which exact model Burris FFII did you purchase?

ZombieFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZombieFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 11:05
I got the 4.5-14 model that you get the free spotter with. The ballistic plex is awesome. I zeroed at 200 yards and it is spot on at every hash mark.
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 17:09

The FFII is very nice, but if you are willing to spend $400-450, you can do even better.  Check out the signatures (don't personally have one), and the bushnell 4200's (do have one and it is awesome). They both come in either 2.5 or 3 x10 and 4x16.   Also, I've yet to hear from someone who owns a sightron SII or SIII that they don't love. 

As far as missing a chance at a fox at 300 because of not enough magnification- I think people tend to overdo it on power, when what they really need is better glass.  Many guys shoot 1000 yard competitions with QUALITY 10X's.  It's amazing how much less power you use when you can see the target clearly. 

For what you describe, I would be comfortable with a top end of 10-12.  A 4-16 won't hurt, although I betcha a donut that you never shoot a coyote, fox or bobcat with your scope set at 16X.

Justin

jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 21:11

Justin,

Ok, for quality glass which of the scopes you just mentioned has the best glass?  Also, most of my hunting has been on non-varmint targets, so I am not sure which reticle would be best for me. Any suggestions in this area would be appreciated as well.

Jim

jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 21:12

ZombieFan,

Is the spotting scope that came with the Burris any good?  I have a spotting scope already, but if I can get a better one for next to nothing....

Jim

ZombieFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZombieFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 23:02
It is pretty decent. Not a leupold, but it's free. I ended up selling mine at a gunshow for about $100. SI the scope actually cost me $224. Not a bad deal.
jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 05:45
The reticle on that Burris FFII looks a bit thick. Have you had any problems with it blocking out the target?

--Jim

ZombieFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZombieFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 08:18
Not at all. I can see them p-dogs out to 600 nicely.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 09:42
The Nikon 6.5x20 best buy in this price range and your needs. 6.5 for foxes, 1/8 click adjustments for working up the loads your 22 is capable of, your price range. 1/8" or 1/4" cross hairs, two sets of knobs, hunter and target with turret covers. bunches better than Burris II (closer to the Signature) and still in the same physical size range as a 3x9.
jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 09:44
Dale,

Do you have an exact model for the Nikon?

Thanks,

Jim

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2005 at 10:29
Monarch
jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2005 at 19:53
Ok gentlemen, here is what I think I am going to purchase, what do you think?  http://www.riflescopes.com/products/20076 8/burris_4-16x44_signature_select_rifle_scope.htm

This one doesn't have the posilock system, but I guess I don't even know what that is for sure. Is it worth paying extra for?

Jim

jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2005 at 20:09
Ok, so maybe I want this one instead: http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200770/burris_ 4-16x44_signature_select_rifle_scope.htm .  I did a little digging and the posi-lock sounds like a good feature.

More questions, sorry: 1) what are the hunter knobs, and are they beneficial?  Is the adjustable objective just a focus, and is it needed?

Sorry again for the newbie questions.

Thanks,

Jim

ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2005 at 21:22

Originally posted by jwillson4 jwillson4 wrote:

Ok, for quality glass which of the scopes you just mentioned has the best glass? 

The only one I own of the three is the 4200.  It's wonderful.  Best glass I own.  Better than the FFII, but I've never compared it to a signature.  Either way, I don't think you can go with wrong with these two lines.

Justin

ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2005 at 21:28

Originally posted by jwillson4 jwillson4 wrote:

More questions, sorry: 1) what are the hunter knobs, and are they beneficial?  Is the adjustable objective just a focus, and is it needed?

Hunter knobs are finger adjustable "mini target turrets" so to speak.  Instead of having to use a screwdriver or coin to move your scopes' POI, you don't need tools with these.  That's nice if you want to dial elevation and windage before a shot.  But are you ever going to mess with that?  Most likely, it will be a minor convenience at the sight-in bench.  Not a big deal, but they don't hurt you.  Yes on the focusm, and if you are going with a 4-16, I would definitely want a AO. 

Justin

jwillson4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwillson4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2005 at 05:55

Justin,

Do you have to use the AO all the time,  or only occassionally like when going from 4x to 16x?  If AO is needed I am fine with that, but I don't want to have to be messing with the scope a lot when a varmint steps into range.

Thanks,

Jim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic