OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nikon primos or 4200 3x9x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nikon primos or 4200 3x9x40
    Posted: March/23/2010 at 08:46
which of these scopes is the best in low light ?image quality?
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 09:06
They are both good in low light. It is the reticles that make the biggest difference between the two scopes. I like the 4200 reticle better in those conditions.
You can get a plex with the 3-9 Monarch UCC. Mine works well for low light and heavy cover.

Doug
Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 13:59
They both have an advetised 95% light transmission. Image quality should be very similar.
Rainguard is a plus on the Bushy.
The BDC reticle is either a plus or a minus on the Nikon depending on your preference.
Both can be found close to the same price and both get you a free jacket. (well I guess you have to pay $15 shipping on the busnell offer)

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 17:44
I like the bushnell better for the rain guard and duplex reticle, if you can live with the bdc the nikon is a very nice scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 23:38
i was hoping for a few more opinions .
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 04:25
Originally posted by cowski cowski wrote:

i was hoping for a few more opinions .

Try a search.
These two scopes have gone head to head for years. LOTS of threads related to these two.

Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 12:40
If you want an opinion, here's mine: I'd go for the Nikon.
Aside from the Elite 4200/6500 which do indeed possess very good optics, the rest of their lineup is underwhelming and they offer some low-end models that are simply junk. Same in their binoc lineup. Lots of bubble-pac discount store crap.
Everything in Nikon's lineup is known to be decent quality with no garbage. To me that tells me something about the company I'm buying products from. Just my take.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 13:07
Looking at the 2 scopes you mentioned the 4200 has far superior image quality compared to the Primos to my eyes. The reputation of the hit and miss CS of Nikon will push  the choice to the 4200 as well. Both are good scopes for their price range. Good luck
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 10:30
thanks 310's are 4200's clearer than monarchs? i own a monarch but have only looked through 4200's in the store.
jjake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 18:51
My 2 cents. I have both; purchased from SWFA. Of the two, I would purchase another 4200 3-9x40. I do not like the BDC on the Primos it is too thick and useless unless you are willing to take the time to learn how to use it. I hunt out to 200yrds, a BDC is not necessary for my application. I do not think it is as clear or as quick to bring to my eye as the 4200. I got caught up in the "it's a Monarch" hype. I mounted the 4200 on a Savage 243 and have been very pleased.
If I had it to do over again I might try a Vortex Viper or Conquest; although they both are getting a lot of press as well (maybe deserved, maybe not). I have not seen one in person.  Read these sites long enough and you will find the answer you want to find to justify your purchase, I did. My usual is a Leupold 3.5-10x50 VXIII which I think is an outstanding scope but I'm a sucker for peer pressure and read too much...study long, study wrong.
brilite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brilite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 16:30
I like my Primos Monarch.  Great scope!  Good Nikon support, not as good as Leupold but good.  Why don't you call  both companys and see how the support and service is.  If that is important to you.
Good luck,
Brian
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 17:35
I've not seen the (older model) Team Primos, but did a recent side- side comparison of a Monarch and a 4200 and found the Bushnell to be optically superior- to my eyes, at least- the 4200 was clearer.
The Nikon's BDC reticle might have a slight advantage in low light, since the little circles should appear as a thicker reticle.
ymmv
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2010 at 17:49
Have both .
Horrible Nikon Customer service when a 3 day old Monarch stopped tracking ..have several 4200's on hard kickers like 300 RUM , 300 WBY's,338 win Mag and 45/70's and no issues ever. Optically they are similar, but the 4200's have proven rugged and have Rainguard to boot ...4200 is the way to go !!
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 16:36
I have both and think they its pretty much a toss up.  I find the Monarch to have better eye relief and the optics seem to be pretty close.  Never had to use Nikon CS but did take Bushnell up on their "no questions asked" warranty on an Elite 3200 one time.  Took about 3 weeks but it truly was a no questions asked deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic