OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what is the best china made scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 01:59
Originally posted by cowski cowski wrote:

how do the hawk's compare to the simmons aetec master?

I have not had good luck with Simmons, so for the time being there isn't a Simmons scope I would put on any of my rifles.

ILya
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 04:20
One question I would like answered...
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 04:22
Aren't Nikko Stirling Night-Eaters made in China??? They're pretty popular were I am.
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 19:27
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have not had good luck with Simmons, so for the time being there isn't a Simmons scope I would put on any of my rifles.

ILya
What kinds of issues have you had with Simmons? Have they just not been clear? Or have they not held up? Or what?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 19:37
Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya
What kinds of issues have you had with Simmons? Have they just not been clear? Or have they not held up? Or what?

All of the above.  Besides, considering how many times the brands has changed hands, I am in a "wait and see" mode with respect to Simmons.

ILya
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 23:35
the reason i mentioned simmons is because they are popular with local hunters. i have a    aetec,  it failed within a few months. i do not think much of them either.but was wondering if they had gotten better due the the clairity of the aetec master i saw the other day.my scope was not made in china.the china made one looked clearer.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 23:44

the reason i mentioned simmons is because they are popular with local hunters. i have a    aetec,  it failed within a few months. i do not think much of them either.but was wondering if they had gotten better due the the clairity of the aetec master i saw the other day.my scope was not made in china.the china made one looked clearer.

Aetec scopes made before Simmons was sold to Meade were decent.  Meade-made ones I did not like.  The current ones (Simmons is now owned by Bushnell) I only saw at SHOT.

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 00:34
I have heard good things over here about the Bushnell Legend scope series...according to what I found on the Internet is that they were, up until recently, made in the Phillipines but the latest ones are supposedly now made in China and now have the Rainguard feature whereas the Philly ones didn't.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 07:42
From my experience I'd say Hawke is the best, I used one for a full month in Africa on a 9.3x62 shooting 286gr bullets with no issues. Also the quality just keeps improving.  However I have had pretty good luck with the Simmons AETEC Master series 2.8-10x44 illum, if you don't put them on a hard kicker (.30-06 or less) or semi-auto they seem to hold up well and the illum is reliable (can't be said for Leupold). I've had one on my ranch beater rifle a Ruger Hawkeye .358 Win for a couple of years, it's held up well to the ATV rides and shooting well.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 08:37
  I've got 2 Prohunter MS scopes.  The 2-7x32WA that I've had for quite a few yrs now has served me well.  Mostly on my .300.  I was given a Prohunter MS 6x42 and mounted it on my .300 but have not used it yet.  The 2-7x32WA now sits on my 9.3x62mm.  I'll be reworking/working loads up soon for both rifles so we'll see what happens.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 09:25
Never had much luck with Simmons or Tasco.  Had the Simmons fail after a month on my 300 WM, although I don't know how much it was shot before I bought the rifle with the scope on it.   I had a Tasco on my 270 fail on me as well.  Also had a Simmons fall apart on a 220 Swift.  All of that happened about 5 years ago, so I would hope the quality has improved.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 11:14
NO MORE Simmons for me either, I tried and they were not acceptable to my standards for the price range. You could get a better scope IMHO for the same money....Mueller & Hawke OK in my book for the money
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 10:17
thanks for the replies i have never looked through a hawke.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic