OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Red or Amber Dot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cop1440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red or Amber Dot?
    Posted: March/22/2010 at 10:19
I'm a patrol officer with an M4 rifle looking to purchase an electronic tactical sight for special quick shoot situations.

Many officers prefer Eotech, but they seem rather large and bulky to me; I'm leaning towards a Trijicon Reflex or RMR sight. Problem is, do I go for an Amber dot sight or a Red dot sight? I've heard Amber dots may wash out in daylight while red dots are sen in any light situation.

Does anybody out there have experience with either and preferences?

JM
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 12:25
Hello fellow Iowan! I'm from Des Moines Co. myself.

Consider the Aimpoint H1 for your weapon. The best optic I've ever used.
And the Larue mount.

Welcome to Optcs Talk.
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 12:27
I have duty exp with most major brands of RD and I will say that in my judgement the best of the1x optics to use on a real world weapon are from Aimpoint.
1. Insane battery life.
2. Tough as hell.
are the two things that stand out above other brands IMO. Turn it on and leave it on.

With the Trijicon Reflex and RMR you may find there are times when the reticle washes out (being in a dark room aiming into a well lighted room is one example) or the reticle isn't projected onto the glass if you get it clogged with mud, snow, blood or other such things cops sometimes have to deal with.    

The Eotech has a timer that shuts itself off to save on its limited battery life plus you have to turn the thing on first and neither are a good thing when someone wants to pick a gun fight with you.   

Edited by Yak - March/22/2010 at 12:47
"Both of you peckerwood's can KMFA!!!" ~ Ceska

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 12:31
Originally posted by Yak Yak wrote:

I have duty exp with most major brands of RD and I will say that in my judgement the best of the1x optics to use on a real world weapon are from Aimpoint.
1. Insane battery life.
2. Tough as hell.
are the two things that stand out above other brands IMO. Turn it on and leave it on.

The Eotech has a timer that sh*t's it off to save on it limited battery life plus you have to turn the thing on first and neither are a thing when someone wants to pick a gun fight with you.   

Well stated!  Excellent

I actually have the T1, but recommended the H1 because of the cost savings.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 12:33
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 12:46
I have experience with both, and it ain't an easy solution.

I currently own an amber dot reflex (II) Trijicon and an Aimpoint 2MOA red dot.  I've owned and used EoTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon (reflex, tripower, Accupoint, and ACOG), there is no "best for all situations.")

I prefer red dots as I think they stand out better.  My Reflex has an amber dot and yes, it can be difficult to see in a few situations - most notably when shooting from a dark position into a bright area (shooting indoors at a target outside, well lit) and when shooting from a bright position into a not well lit area (shooter outside, target inside.)

The downside to EoTech and Aimpoint is the battery (though Aimpoint batteries last a LONG time)  batteries fail at the worst times, and EoTech drains them faster than Aimpoint
The key benefit to Trijicon is self-illumination, which is nice, but it can wash out.

For a duty gun, I'd do Aimpoint or AA-cell EoTech.  The washout in the reflex sites can be severe enough to be a real problem, given how you will be using the rifle.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 12:51
Cheaptrick,

Nice blaster. I run an H1/LaRue on my house gun. Perfect IMO.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 13:05
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

That vest is so clean and pretty, surely it belongs to a civilian.

My go vest looks like it has been to hell and back, and my ghillie suit, I think things live in the that piece of artwork.

Nice rifle, low crawl through mud in that vest and maybe I'll compliment it too.

Damn civilians!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 16:34
Haha...RC, I've only wore that vest (a CQB Solutions) once or twice at the range.
Damn, I did look high speed when I was there though.  Bucky 
Thanks for noticing!!   

Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 16:40
Cheaptrick,

Damn, and I thought you might get blazed for your YHM BUIS... ;)

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 16:41
Sweet looking tool CT!!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 16:58

Cheaptrick,

Damn, and I thought you might get blazed for your YHM BUIS... ;)

Yeah yeah!!
I guess I should have went "Gucci" and got the Troy.  Wink

Say what you will, the YH back up site is pretty good kit, IM"civilian"O.  Evil Black Rifle

Thanks for the compliments, Gents.
Bravo Co. makes a really nice middy upper. I love it!      
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 17:51
I didn't blaze it, brother (I thought someone would though). Besides...Mike said you have a sweet looking tool. Lol

Edited by Yak - March/22/2010 at 17:54

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 03:50

Besides...Mike said you have a sweet looking tool. Lol

Shocked

Big Grin
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2010 at 19:06
Embarrased 

Unless their safe queens isn't that what a rifle basically is? Each designated to handle specific task but can be used in a multitude of situations.  I look at my many fishing rods the same way. Big Smile

Yak, how have you been?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic