OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scope for the $$$$

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best scope for the $$$$
    Posted: September/18/2005 at 15:35
yes i'm looking to spend about $175 on a new scope for my 30-06 i shot anywhere from 100yard -300yard i would like to know what would be the best brand for the $$$ that has rangefinding  illuminated reticle  muller, zeiss, A1 optic, atn, ncstar, leaper, IOR, nikko, supersniper any of them
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 16:30
Is the illuminated reticle worth another $100?
oldfashion View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 17:07
i can find some for around 150 i just don't know how good they are
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 18:04
The only one I know of is the mueller, which is a very good scope for the money.  Has drawbacks, but everything in this price range will.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 18:49
is  there anything wrong with the other ones i really like the A1 and ncstar
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 19:14

Nikon Buckmaster.....The best scope for the money....period!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 19:19
dose anyone know anything about the A1 Optic scope
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 22:29

Cheaptrick, does the buckmaster have an illuminated reticle?

oldfashion, I don't have any experience with the A1 or ncstar.  Is an illuminated reticle a must-have?

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 23:07
ya i would like it   if it don't have that i would one rangefinder crosshairs
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2005 at 23:40
Simmons 44 Mag 6.5x20x44 would that be a good one to put on a 30-06
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 00:39
Originally posted by ajlandis ajlandis wrote:

Cheaptrick, does the buckmaster have an illuminated reticle?

Negative.

But, they do offer a mil dot if your interested.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 13:35

Close to your price range and with a holdover reticle is the Burris FFII.  Most of the scopes you mention are chinese crap.  There is no Zeiss scope anywhere near your price range.

ranburr

ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 16:45

Oldfashion, you kind of make it hard to give many suggestions.  So, you want a mercedes with a kia price tag?

Can you list, in order, what features are most important to you?  Brightness, clarity, magnification, quality, durability, illumination, price, rangefinding, size, etc. 

I have a 44 mag in 3-10.  They are ok, but you can do much better.  I wouldn't put one on a .30-06, and I sure wouldn't deer hunt with a 6.5-20.

Justin

CAVGRUNT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAVGRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 18:05

I prefer to keep it simple. You say shootiung 300 meters or less. A 4 power scope is great for that, gives a great field of vision. I would get a fixed 4 power scope, 40 mm bell. 50 mm bells are over rated. It's about exit pupil. 40 mm allows you to sit the scope closer to the barrel. I would zero my scope at 300 meters. Many loads will allow you to shoot pretty much dead on at 260- 275 meters. You can hold under an inch or two if you wish, and you can determine whats best at your local range. Set the zero which at those short ranges will allow you to shoot pretty much dead on for the kill zone at your typical ranges you wil be shooting at.

I live in the Southwest where good light is pretty much a given. Ask your self how many times  you been out and when you had a shot was  there was a problem with light levels and the reticle. Be careful of illuminated reticles some are very wide and thin reticles can be expensive. Often not worth the money.

Mil dots for hunting are a waste of money, are you going to make the calculations and dial in the firing solution. No, in your range your going to have coin turrets anyway. Mildots only clutter up the sight picture.

Just my opinion. Keep it simple. Remember military snipers generally shoot 10 power fixed scopes, what do you plan on seeing at 200 meters in a 20 power scope, not much.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 20:08

i want a scope kinda like PPO 4-16x50 F Military Sniper II Series Rifle Scope made by Kalinka Optics

nikko scopes anygood

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 23:50
Do you have any expience with PPO scopes?  I bought one a while ago and it was most definitely a waste of money.  WIth optics you generally get what you pay for.

Ilya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 00:49

$175-$200 is the most i can spend

the one thing i want most of all it Illuminated MIL-DOT reticle

good to shot up to 300yards good fast focus

something like these http://www.leapers.com/pages/optics/mil-dot%20scope.htm

BARSKA any good

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 01:55

The scopes you are looking at are absolute crap and you will not be happy with the performance.  For under $200, you need to be looking at the Burris FFII, Bushnel Elite 3200, Nikon Buckmaster or for slight less one of the new Simmons Master Series. 

ranburr 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 02:04
so i need to stick with my bushnell banner 6-18x50mm dusk and dawn scope until i can pay 200-300 for one
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 02:22

The scopes that I listed above all can be had for under $200 in 3-9x40, which is just about ideal for a .30-06.

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic