OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Got 30mm Scope and 30mm Rings But They Don't Fit?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Got 30mm Scope and 30mm Rings But They Don't Fit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got 30mm Scope and 30mm Rings But They Don't Fit?
    Posted: March/19/2010 at 23:33
I got a SS16x and some TPS TSR 30mm rings and the rings seem really tight and by the calipers the ss is 30.08mm and the rings are 29.75mm this causes the scope to sit about a 1/16th inch off the bottom of the rings, do I just push it down? Seems like I might damage something.
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 22:25
Definately don't force it....call customer service.
kokopelli View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kokopelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 09:46
You are experiencing "machining tolerance" up front and personal.  On every forum I frequent the pseudo "experts" claim that they don't need to lap or they don't need to check alignment because they have a blah blah blah set of rings and bases and they're perfect so no testing or checking of the alignment of anything is necessary.  BOOO! HISSS!  It just isn't so.  There is nothing in the manufacturing world that is perfect.  There are plus/minus tolerances that apply and a product or part that falls within those tolerances is acceptable, outside of those tolerances is not aceptable.  You just got one component with a minus tolerance and another with a plus tolerance together at the same time.  Those "experts" who claim that rings and bases made by so and so are perfect is talking through a hole in his head.  One can get this exact situation with any manufacturer and you might even get a front ring that's too tight and a rear ring that is too loose.  That's reality. Once shooters figure this out and understand that every single component of a scope installation needs to be checked they will be on the way to obtaining the best accuracy from their firearms.  There are no shortcuts. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 13:43
Call CS at TPS. They should be able to help.

Doubt lapping the rings will solve the problem, in this case.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 13:51
And lapping might void the warranty, call TPS, they'll do you right.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 13:52
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

And lapping might void the warranty,

Good call! That's right.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 13:54
DId you torque the ring bottoms down before you sit the scope in the rings?  If you do that without the caps on it might slightly bend the rings in so the scope will not sit right.  I had that happen with a set of seekins rings.  As soon as I loosened the bottom screws it was all good.  After I got the scope in and the caps torqued I then tightened the bottom screws.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic