OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mildot teaching tools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasty77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mildot teaching tools
    Posted: March/18/2010 at 22:48
a local gun club is hosting a one day intro to ranging and the mildot system.
the range officer teaching the class recommends we buy a spotting scope with a mildot.
what options do i have in a mildot spotting scope for a beginner?

he says it is safer to train with, rather than a scoped rifle,

he asks that we have a Kestrel 2000, a calculator, and paper and a mil spec mil dot reticle in at least a 10x optic and preferably a spotting scope or binoculars
i am a hunter and a outdoors-men and new to all this tactical stuff.
but i am told if i learn this mildot system it will translate to better shots in the field

Kestrel 2000

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 00:27
Welcome to O.T.! As far as ranging spotters go, look at the Bushnell Excursion. Leopold, and Zeiss Hendsolt also offer spotter's with reticles, for alot more money. As far as bino's go Vortex, Leopold, and Steiner offer reticles in certain models.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 11:08
Check out www.mil-dot.com too before you go.
fasty77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasty77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 14:00
so my options are,
in binoculars
Leupold 10x50, what is the difference between the mildot and TMR 520.00 to 570.00
Vortex Viper R/T 10x50 680.00

are any of the marine binoculars rangefinders in milliradian?
i see ATN makes a few and they are nice price

in spotting scopes
Vortex Solo R/T 8x36 Tactical Monocular 200.00 (not 10x but nice price)
Vortex Recon R/T 10x50 Tactical Scope 690.00
Bushnell 15-45x60 Excursion FLP 365.00

any other input on options list?
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 14:38
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Check out www.mil-dot.com too before you go.

Chris, FYI, when you go to scopes on their website and click the "Learn more" link for info on the SS scopes, you get a "Page can not be found error".  If you click on your add, will bring up the SS line, but if you click to buy, error again.  Know the error is on their end, but letting you know.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 08:21
We also have this wide angle 30x mil reticle available for the Razor 85HD.

www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 09:21
Hey Scott@Vortex.....how about a straight EP for that 85mm Razor HD????????
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 09:26
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Hey Scott@Vortex.....how about a straight EP for that 85mm Razor HD????????

We are hoping to have something available by the end of the year, its little to far out yet to give any ETA's.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 09:27
Here is a monocular with a mil-dot type reticle in it.  http://swfa.com/Optolyth-10x28-Monocular-P12136.aspx  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 15:22
Sorry guys I posted the wrong reticle above. That is actually the reticle in our 8x36 R/T solo monocular.

This is the 30x WA R/T eyepiece for the Razor 85HD:

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
fasty77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasty77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 16:41
wow, thanks for all the input vortex options look nice.

i am getting either the Vortex Solo R/T 8x36 or the Optolyth B/GA 10x28 Monocular for the wife. I was showing her the options and she thinks she needs one now! for me it will be either the Leupold 10x50 TMR or a spotting scope.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 18:15
I reviewed the Excursion last year and thought it was a pretty good spotter, esp. for the price. I did read somewhere that a vendor had gotten some with moisture problems, but at least the one I used was fine: http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18672&KW=bushnell&PID=258173
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 06:28
These are pics of our 10x50 and 8x28 Viper R/T bino's and the reticle they come with.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 06:31
The 10x50 viper R/T:

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 12:57
Is there a limit on how many pics I can post? Let me try this one more time.

The 10x50 viper R/T:

Scott

www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 13:01
Now all the sudden they all pop up. Maybe I am just losing it?
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
compostellas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostellas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 14:28
Scott can you comment on how the Vortex monoculars and binoculars are focused with the reticle? For example, how would one get the target in focus while keeping the reticle in focus with only one focus ring? I am asking because the Solo R/T only has on focus ring where as the Viper R/T looks like it has separate focus rings (per the manuals).
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 15:40
The solo rt is designed to keep the reticle in focus out to 4-600yds and even farther if you have good eyes. Where the problem would be is if you have vision problems and just cant get the reticle to focus with out a separate reticle focus.

Let me add that the solo rt is a great way to practice ranging just about anywhere without offending your neighbors by being out on your apartment balcony with your evil gun pointing it at various windows,cars,doors,etc...   Personally I am lucky enough to live somewhere that my neighbors probably cant here my gun shots they are so far away so I can just take my scoped rifles outside on the porch and practice ranging anytime(if the skeeters are cooperating), but I know a lot of you aren't able to do that and this is where the solo rt becomes a great tool. With a product like the solo rt being out there for such a reasonable price you have no excuse for not doing very well on the next ranging exercise stage at your next comp.

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 16:55
Your photobucket ones are showing up but the ones hosted at http://www.vortextactical.com/admin/ are not, probably pass word protected.
compostellas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostellas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 17:26
Thanks for the follow-up Scott! Your explanation helped overcome by initial reluctance with the Solo R/T and its focus. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic