OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Can't stand the WAITING...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't stand the WAITING...
    Posted: March/18/2010 at 21:11
As posted before I ordered myself a new Savage 10 series rifle last week.  The expected delivery date is 22 Mar.

Well I have gotten everything for the rifle but the RIFLE!

The SWFA SS 16x42 scope looks good.  The range of elevation is 403 clicks, Dam^!

I don't have a canted base so I am kind of curious if the zero will be some where close to the center point of the rifle of higher/lower?  Never really worried about this until I got a rifle that I want to be able to shoot 800M with.

Any suggestion of experience on scope mounting would be helpful.  I have the two level system you can get from _______(don't want to type the Name).  In the past I have just used a plumb bob at about 20 yards and was done.  With the added yardage I am not sure if this is going to be a good enough method for my current situation?

Thanks

Armyhooah 
Bang...
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 05:29

You should be good to go. Remember just shoot and enjoy that Savage will get better every time you shoot it.
froggy
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 10:37
LOL good thing you didn't order a custom, or you would really hate the wait.  Hopefully you got low rings as anything else is too high IMO.  The 16xSS is a good scope for the money, I had one a while ago and it worked just fine for me.

I always did the bubble level method for mounting the scope.  Adjust it in the rest (hopefully you have something sturdy to use a s a rest) and make sure you are getting a level reading off of the base.  Then I get a level reading off of the elevation adjustment knob, use some feeler gagues to make sure that the bottom of the housing is sitting flush with the base, and I also look through a Wheeler leveling kit (kinda crappy).  I figure if I go at it with three things something is going to get it where it needs to be.

MarineSemperFi
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 11:17
Waited almost 8 mos for my custom 300 wsm...It was brutal.  I have a 16x42 SS... You will love it.   Good luck!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 21:52
Still waiting.....The UPS website say's tomorrow is going to be the day!  Yea....

I am going to have to shoot wal-mart Winchester and Remington ammo to start with.  My reloading stuff is somewhere in Texas in transit to me now.

Bang...
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 18:16
Well I got it...YEA!

Now if I could only figure out how to post the pics?

Help!
Bang...
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 18:24

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/armyhooah/Guns/SavageClose.jpg

Bang...
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 18:53

Ding Ding Ding Figured it out...

Bang...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 19:51
good looking stick
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 21:52
Excellent Very nice... I like that. If she shoots half as good as she looks, you got a winner. Then again, it is a Savage, so the shooting part is almost a given. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 22:25
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Excellent Very nice... I like that. If she shoots half as good as she looks, you got a winner. Then again, it is a Savage, so the shooting part is almost a given. 

That is what I hear, lets see if see can put her money where her mouth is tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed.  Made a cheek pad for her and used _____USA's scope levers to get her as close I can.  This should be interesting, my first ling range shooter!  HOOAH!
Bang...
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 22:30
HOOAH back atcha. Range report expected troop. Salute
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 20:01
Yea for me....I got a good set up!

656 yard milk jug kill with 5-10 MPH wind with 10-20 Gust!

This rifle and SCOPE (SS 16x42) is Great!
Bang...
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 20:12
Very good shooting! Thunbs Up

Good gear makes for good results. All your gear is good and you did your part.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 23:09
http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/armyhooah/The%20range%20report/?action=view&current=e1d050ae.flv
Bang...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic