OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Jeep (to me anyway)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 23:44
Nice land Rover Neil.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 06:36
THe K5 isn't street legal......i may get 5-8 mpg if it were.........its a mud pit glory hound
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 16:50
Thanks Billy.

I would stop a real friend from buying one unless they really like things that are hard to work on and cause them a lot of stress. If you're good at your own wrenching and have good problem solving skills it's o.k., but if you have to visit the stealership, it'll cost you your firstborn.

11 mpg, premium only.

was 6100 pounds before I added a lot of heavy duty stuff, now weighs in around 6800.

Be glad you bought a Jeep, it's gunna be a lot easier on your wallet and you'll be just as happy. Thunbs Up

I bought the Rover as a huge UP YOURS to my ex when I got custody of my kids and quit paying her $1200 a month in child support. Chainsaw

Wasn't my best financial move, but it felt really good.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 18:30
  Hey Billy,here's a site you may find useful.  VERY active!!

I could get use to a Rover!  VERY capable vehichles even in stock form.

Edited by 300S&W - March/19/2010 at 18:32
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 19:17
The problem with this is, my wife is really getting into the Jeep thing! I can see my rifle and reloading funds flying away...
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 19:48
The Land Rover in stock form is plenty capable. There were a few things I didn't like so I changed them. I put a 3 inch suspension lift with heavy duty springs and shocks. The center differential on mine is lockable, but had no switch assembly to engage the lock, so I found a guy to build me a simple lever I have to use outside the truck to lock the CDL now. I hit a coyote and busted the plastic cover on the lower bumper and the replacement piece was just a little short of what I could have a custom winch bumper made and shipped for, so I went for the custom one. I added a detroit locker to the rear, and a tru trac limited slip up front. I do all my own wrenching and wiring so I saved $$ there, but I still would talk someone out of one and into a jeep if I could.

If you ever decide you need a custom bumper, these are the guys to deal with.

http://www.kenmtn.com/
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 21:09
A set of decent tires will greatly help, most 4 wheel drives will take you almost anywhere reasonable.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 21:26
Good choice they are tough as nails we had some for several years that we used as patrol cars the would go places a big 4x4 would not because they were lighter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 21:47
+1 on decent tires.  
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 22:14
I did just put a brand new set of Good Year Wrangler's on it. They are the basic model, all terrain type. Next up is going to be a DC air compressor so I can lower the tire pressure off-road.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 08:04
I think a good A/T tire is all you need unless your planning on alot of mud.  I've used A/T's exclusively with good result.  If your using your vehicle as an every day driver, part time off road vehicle than I think you made the right decision.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 08:31

+2 on decent tires.  I've got a set of Michlin LTX M/S that are good all around tires.  Having said that though there were times this winter where if my rear drive wheel got on a sliippery surface I was forced to engage the front axle in order to move.  A limited slip or locker(even a factory limited slip) in the rear would have made a difference since the non-drive wheel was on a dry or open surface.  This is my first 4x4 without one and I don't like it (the wife DEFINITELY doesn't). I'll probably install a Power Trax non slip locker before next winter.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic