OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RF Accuracy under 500 yards -  cheapies vs. pricey
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RF Accuracy under 500 yards - cheapies vs. pricey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelandefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RF Accuracy under 500 yards - cheapies vs. pricey
    Posted: March/18/2010 at 17:15

Okay, so I'm shopping for RF's here at SWFA and it seems that the 3-digit number in the products name is a max range, yes? 600 = 600 yards et al...

I see the $100ish price jump from 600-yard models to 800-yard models and similar up to 1200 yards.

My Questions for y'all is:

1) Are the $450-$600 1000-1200 yard'ers more accurate in the 100-500 yard range (my rifle range) than the $199-$249 600-800 yard max range models?

2) Are the Bushnell, Leupold, and Nikon 600 yard'ers that look eerily similar all made in the same factory?
It still holds true that man is most uniquely human when he turns obstacles into opportunities.
Eric Hoffer
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 08:39
I have this one http://swfa.com/Leupold-RX-1000-Compact-Rangefinder-P12805.aspx and I couldn't be more happy. I range from 18 yards to 900 with eeeez. I use it for hunting with bow and rifles and it has always been dead on. I also use it when we shoot for fun and it ranges a 16 inch x 16inch steel plate at 900+. honestly the glass is great and I use it as a bino when bow hunting. This is a good item for what little money thay want for it. I know there is better out there but I can't see spending the money for them when this dose all I want it to and more. It is also compact  Brady from SWFA sent these pictures to me before I got mine.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 09:42

Some of the features I liked about my leo was the moa or mil read out it would give instead of yardage, after making the selections in the display, the downside was that it only calculated for groups of similar ballistic curves and not a specific input. After 600 yds it is very difficult to have the shooting conditions coincide with the programed variables in the rf and for this reason it made a lot of errors. Usually with a 200 yd zero hits out to 500 aren't difficult and ranging isn't as necessary as say a 800 yds. The more the bullet drop the more utility they have -so a bow or long range 22 lr really benefits. Usually the price difference is related to the power out put of the laser, so within a company the glass, may be the same in all the models with changes in laser or read out display. In some, where they have only one model, (the better ones) glass is outstanding as well as a higher output.

VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2010 at 08:30
In fact, the laser RF technologies are so simple I don't know any RF that is inaccurate/off. A laser goes out and bounces back, that's all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic