OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How does it work??????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGGOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does it work??????
    Posted: September/16/2005 at 22:36
I have a 7 mm ultra mag sighted in at 350 yds. 3.5 at 100 yds. shooting 140 grain rem. What happens when you shoot from a incline or decline how does everything change. I went to Wy. last year shot at a deer 450 yds followed the ballistic chart as to where to hold it, but I was on top of a canyon shooting down   took two shots what happen help   I did everything right, practiced all year don't like missing on my first shot
bill47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2005 at 11:56

Holdover is inversely proportionate to the angle of the shot, whether inclining or declining.

You did everything right, except for one thing.  You assumed that gravity was perpendicular to your line of sight.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 09:27
Anytime the angle gets greater than 45 deg. the bullet seems to float up. (angle of drop is greater than bullet drop). Brownells has a nifty gadget you can put on your rifle called a cosine inclinator. With the caliber and ballistics you quote I bet you shot right over the top. POA should have been dead on or slightly low even at that range. 
DOGGOD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGGOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 19:51
What does that exactly do? Is it another chart? I assume it assist with inclines and declines, along with the angle of the shot. Tell me when I'm close? Does it cost much? Thank you..
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2005 at 10:26
check out www.Brownells.com
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2005 at 00:40
Here's another 1 u may wanna look at-- www.snipertools.com -- the ACI
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic