OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon 5-20X50 mil dot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon 5-20X50 mil dot
    Posted: March/17/2010 at 14:51
For a "high speed, low drag" guy like me, nothing sucks more than the vaunted "bay window" review -meaning the "city boy who couldn't review the scope in the wild, killing terrorists."

I am a civilian now, I know, I suck, but here are my initial impressions of the 5-20X50 Trijicon with mil dot reticle and green dot illumination.

1.  I thought it'd be bigger.  It is roughly the same size as the 2.5-10X56 Trijicon I just sold.

2.  No tunneling anywhere on the power band.  I like that!

3.  Head position at 5X isn't critical, it is fairly easy to get behind.  The sweet spot at 20X is a little smaller, but not much.  Eye relief is close to constant throughout the power band.  (Again, in all fairness, I've been shooting my Hensoldt, and NOTHING compares to that for ease to get behind, everything else sucks by comparison.)

4.  Field of view is sharp and clear, no ghosting, no feathering, no halos.

5.  Glass quality, as I have come to expect of the Accupoint line, is quite good.

6.  Target turrets are audible and tactile.  The clicks are big with MUCH space between them, no overshooting your dope. I get 50MOA on both elevation and windage turrets, not ideal for a 1,000 yard gun, no problem for my 500 yard AR10.

7.Good news/bad news on the turret markings.  Good news, they put markings on the front of the turret to remind a dumb ol' Marine like me which way is up/down and which way is left/right.  Bad news, they interrupted the line with a space that disappears at the low end of the adjustment range.  Easily fixed with a silver sharpy, but WTF, why not just extend the line?

8.  Parallax adjustment is marked at 40 yards and infinity, with hashes in between, but no numbers.  Premier does this too, it ain't my favorite, but I don't trust the numbers on those scopes where they are marked, so this is not a big deal to me.

9.  Power ring is the same as all the Accupoints, it is rubberized, I like it.  Be advised, just aft of the power ring is the illumination control for the window covering the fiber optic illumination.  In a pinch, once (while shooting at a 500 pound hog what was moving - fast)  I tried to adjust the power and instead adjusted illumination.  Play with the scope before you NEED the scope: voice of experience.

10.  Rapid adjust eye piece adjusts. Rapidly.  No big deal.

I really like the scope - at least as much as I can like a field scope while it sits on my desk in my man-cave of an office.  As said above, it is going on an AR10 that is mostly used for punching paper and killing hogs.

A note of interest: the center dot (mine is green) is the size of the center of the cross-hairs.  I wondered if it would bleed out and increase the size of the center aiming point, it does not. 
Also, I read a few comments that the illuminated dot was not bright enough in darkness to be seen (even saw one comment that an owner called Trijicon Customer Service and was told the dot would not be visible in darkness.)  Mine is never overpowering, but is visible in darkness.  It is just the center dot (very small) but will do what it should and give an aiming point in darkness and/or very low light.

More will follow once the scope is mounted, zeroed and starts taking game.

If you are comsindering getting one, I do recommend it - thus far.

Some pictures, till this thing hits the range.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - March/18/2010 at 09:47
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 15:56
Thunbs Up
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 16:22
Thanks RC

You have had previous Trijicons, what were the illumination colors on those?  Green, amber, red?  Which color has worked best while hunting/which stood out the most with an outdoor backdrop?  Understand green yet to be reviewed.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 16:53
This is my first Trijicon without a triangle (too course an aiming point.)  To me, the red was most obvious.

I have the mil dot with the center dot being green.  And I have the fiber optic window completely closed, so the green dot only appears in so low light that the reticle is gone.

I like the red, I probably would have preferred a red dot, but these things are hard to get(I bought the last one SWFA had on the shelf) so green it is, I'll cope.

To me, the color is only for hunting in almost pure darkness, not for visual stimulation - this isn't a bind-on reticle.

More to come.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 17:16
Thanks RC.... Lots of good comments about Triji as usual.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 20:59
Good review, RC.  Thanks!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 23:10
Nice write-up.

One thing though: I assume you are talking about a 5-20x50, right? not 56.

ILya
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 23:43
Im sure thats what he meant to say ILya.
Im very curious what RC has to say about this scope as Ive been eyeballing the 3x9, 2.5x10 and 5x20 Accupoints for quite awhile now.. Pretty soon I'll be like some of you guys and have more scopes than rifles, actually Im already there..Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 09:47
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-5-20x50-Accu-Point-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12887.aspx

It is 50, sorry about that, change made to original post.  My 2.5-10 was 56, didn't realize they went to a smaller objective on the higher-power scope.

Thanx for the correction.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 17:44
Range report!

Range impressions:

1.  I like the turrets, very confident in dope changes, no overshooting the clicks. 

2.  Did a rudimentary box (more of a right angle) all was as it should be, clicks were good.

3.  If I want to watch my heart beat, I'll get an EKG.  I buy 20X scopes, I shoot 20X scopes, I remember why I hate 20X scopes.  I will not be shooting at 20X.

4.  Reticle is a little thicker than I would like, not terrible, definitely not a problem (maybe it's the 20X thing) but the reticle looks thicker than I am accustomed.

5.  Glass is bright and clear.  At 20X, no problem resolving anything.  I like the glass.

6.  The up/down indicators are a huge plus, I shot the IOR and IOR forgot them, damn you, IOR!

7  Head position on the bench is not difficult to get at 5, it is easier to get at 20 than the Sightron S3 was at 24X, but nowhere near as easy as the Hensoldt.  I know, I know, not at all a fair comparison!

It's a keeper.  It needs to be mounted in a LaRue so I can get the tube closer to the bore, the LaRue is ordered, and backordered.  It will eventually wear a LaRue QD.

In short, I like the glass, i like the turrets, I am OK with the reticle (thickness), and the scope is easy to use.  All in all, great scope.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 17:52
WHY IS THAT DUST COVER OPEN ON THAT WEAPON?!?!?!?!?!?

Great review, RC!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 18:05
Hey, Mark, the AR I'm currently in the process of building WON'T EVEN HAVE A DUST COVER... OR A FORWARD ASSIST!!!!
Eek
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 18:08
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Hey, Mark, the AR I'm currently in the process of building WON'T EVEN HAVE A DUST COVER... OR A FORWARD ASSIST!!!!
Eek

Shocked 
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 18:09
The gods might note be favorable towards you for that.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 19:22
Mine has no forward assist.

I've had forward assists on 20 years worth of ARs and never needed to use one.  When I bought this one, the lack of a forward assist was, obviously, not a deal breaker.

And my pictures are grainy because my son set the ISO on my camera to 1600.  All future pics should be much better.

"Should."
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 14:14
 Excellent post as usual RC.  Is this replacing the 2.5-10 IOR?
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 21:59
I have heard the forward assist referred to by a Veteran as the "suicide button."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 13:35
Originally posted by opeagle opeagle wrote:

Excellent post as usual RC.  Is this replacing the 2.5-10 IOR?

The 2.5-10 FFP IOR is on the 300 Whisper, this will be staying on the AR10.  It is about the 5th scope to go on the rifle, none of the others was quite the right fit, I like this one.

I also really like the IOR 2.5-10.   I did have a 2.5-10 Trijicon with post reticle on this rifle, I just don't like the post for precision shooting, maybe it's me, just doesn't "feel" as precise as the cross hairs.
Edsel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 01:07
Hi.

I'm new on this forum, and to shooting as well; I realize that this is an old thread, but it seems to best post here.

I'm currently in the process of assembling my first jack - of - all - trades "fun" gun, one with enough "oomph" out to ~ 600 yards; this will probably be a SIG - Sauer 716 with a 16 inch barrel.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2500073103

What I'm having a real hard time with is the scopes and the necessary mounts to go along with it.

Quick - Detach Mounts

1. I'm in a position to get an Aimpoint CompM4 at a significantly reduced price with a Bobro quick - detach mount. Should I get a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 with a quick - detach mount and swap them out as needed?
2. Along the same route, wouldn't the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 give me a clearer picture? What's the significant difference between the two, other than the knobs and magnification?
3. Do the quick - detach mounts (for the longer scopes, in particular) have any deleterious effects on the scope? Seeing slow - motion videos of barrels and receivers "whipping" with recoil, wouldn't these mounts "whip" as well? It's like mounting a log onto a platform with a tiny little clamp.

One Size Fits All

1. Would a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 be adequate for man - sized silhouettes between 25 to 600 yards?
2. Would a Leupold 1.1-8x24 CQBSS be the best (and most horribly expensive) option going this route?
apache17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apache17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 02:36
for the platform (sig 716), I would not get a 5-20x, the rifle is intended for use as a battle rifle/carbine. at 600m or less, a low variable(1-4x-ish), or low fixed(4x-ish) will do just fine. If you absolutely must see the holes in the target through the scope, then yeah, the 5-20x will be necessary, if not insufficent. Elsewise, that rifle is intended to provide a different kind of "downrange feedback" to indicate a hit on a man sized target. Good luck with your search, let us all know what you end up getting!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic