OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Whats the "effective" range for a .22 LR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats the "effective" range for a .22 LR?
    Posted: March/16/2010 at 18:18
So most guys with .22's seem to keep their shots at less than 100 yards. I have heard some claim more than 100 yards and still accurate. But when does the accuracy start heading south?

I would think if 100+ yards is possible and still being accurate that 200 yards would be the limit, but I really don't know.

Anyone out there know? Again, looking for the "accurate" range here, not how far the bullet will actually travel.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 18:38
its not necessarily the range its the windage effect.  The wind plays a huge roll in a 22 at extended ranges.  Its the shooters ability to adjust for it that will play the roll, not the gun.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 18:51
Say then, for a "no wind" day, as in a perfect scenario. What would the accurate range be?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 18:58

with enough elevation adjustment and a good setup, 200 is about as far as i would think is decent/responsible for myself.  Some guys can probably go farther, I don't.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 19:01
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 19:06
^ Thats pretty impressive! I would not have guessed that would be possible with a .22

So I am gathering that 200 yards would be the max, with a more likely accuracy of 100 yards (given wind adjustment).
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 19:09
As you see in the video you can go farther.  He is shooting at a 2ft by 2ft target. not really a hard target to hit but, still at that distance with the wind, I dont' think the in-experence shooter will achieve that quickly.  Get good and learn the fundamentals at 100 then if you still want to try to go farther, only you know what you can shoot.
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 19:21
^ Sounds like good advice. Thanks buddy
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 20:49
100 yds 12 ga hulls, 200 yds, tennis balls, 300 yds pop cans pretty easy with subsonic
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 20:53
Nice!
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 10:54
No harm in trying to move out with a .22. If you can learn to shoot at distant targets with one, especially when it's windy, it will really improve your shooting. I always bring one whenever I go target shooting and have it zeroed at 100 yards. The best practice for me is running (and I mean running to get your heart rate up) and shooting at a target from all sorts of distances from 50-200 yards. On a windy day, that is a double bonus.
Reaction time is a factor...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 21:32
Now you guys have my curiosity.  I've normally sited my .22lr  in at 60yds and have done all my shooting at about this range. I'm going to have to try some of this "run and gun" and also some extended distances.  Good posts guys.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2010 at 18:16
 I once competed  in a .22 rimfire silhouette match from a benchrest.

The targets were housecat-sized steel cutouts of a bison.
 We fired at a distance of three-hundred yards, and if memory serves me, I think I took third place with 19 out of 22 (?) hits.
 I had to use a sweet borrowed Sako with a 10x Weaver target scope, as I had run out of elevation with my Remington/ Leupold setup before getting it zeroed in. 
 I think the guys running the match said that the bullets typically landed around nine feet below the line of bore at that distance, depending on ammo,etc. so shimmed or custom bases were a must-have item.

Wind will kill you at those distances, but that's half the fun!
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 09:41
I must say I am really impressed at some of these distances for a little .22

I am certainly not expecting to rival most of them (at least for a while) as they are undoubtingly accomplised after a bit of practice and probably a bit of luck. But I am looking forward to it none the less.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 20:26
wind and ammunition choice can really be factors in effective, accurate range.
There's so many brands of ammo and bullet weight that it might take some time to sort through it and find what works in your rifle.
With 36 grain reminton vipers at 1500fps from my rifle, windage is 1 moa per 1mph windage correction AND 1/2 moa elevation adder at 100 yards.  This doubles at 200 yards.
100 yard 5 shot groups are averaging an inch of less wit ha best of 0.371" and 200 yard groups are running about 4 inches with the 36 grain bullet............somewhat centered on the X ring .

Dale what subsonic are you using?  Tried wolf ME in mine.  At 25 yards it's just a single hole in the paper but at 100 yards it's a pattern measuring almost a foot.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 09:19

I use remington in the savage currently , don't usually shoot groups with the 22 as it is misleading, but once windage is in, the cone of fire is about 90% hits on 12 gauge hulls at 100 yds. The truncated cone subs have a shoulder, like a wadcutter and can cause difficulty feeding in some guns, and you never know if you nick an edge when cycling. I have also had good results from CCI silhoutte if you can find it.

300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 21:17
Whacko
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 21:17
Sleep
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 21:18
Excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic