OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron S2 Big Sky vs Zeiss Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron S2 Big Sky vs Zeiss Conquest
    Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:50
I own a Sightron S2 3-9x40 BS and a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest and find that both scopes are  very close in optical performance.Both scopes have been very good values so now heres the question to all the forum members which scope is better over all. 
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 19:49
curious to know also
Stan
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 06:13
That's a hard question as the terms "better" or "best" mean different things to different people. I've had both and, as you stated, they both were fine. I do like the hydrophobic coating on the BS...very helpful in foul weather. I like the Zeiss reticles better. Some folks with high gloss bluing on rifles want gloss scopes to match. The Sightron offers such where-as the Zeiss does not. Guess it depends on the individual situation.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 07:00
I give the nod to the Zeiss, because I'm also a fan of the reticles, and how amazingly black they ALWAYS are.......... But I wish they would add a hydrophobic coating on them. Especially now with a  price increase.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 09:33
I've owned Big Sky and Conquest.
In side- side comparisons, the Big Sky had a slightly better low- light resolution than the Conquest and it came with a free lens hood, which was really nice and also had metal turrets, unlike Conquest.
The only thing I didn't like about the Big Sky was that it had a more critical eyebox, where the image would suddenly go black when moving my eye off axis, especially at higher powers.
I would have kept the Big Sky, but it's magnification range wasn't what I needed at the time.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 13:21
I have had Sightron SII and Big Sky and sold both due to VERY CRITICAL eye position problems. The Optics are very good however but the blinking out of the image was a definate negative to me.
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 18:12
so the Big Sky is equal optically to the Conquest ? I had a Prior Big Sky was crystal clear
Stan
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 19:43
Sightron may be good but it is NOT as good as the Conquest.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 16:54
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Sightron may be good but it is NOT as good as the Conquest.
I still think the Big Sky and Conquest are excellent scopes. If I had to choose one it would be the Big Sky.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic