OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cleaning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning?
    Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:46
I am looking for information on the best process for cleaning a precision rifle.

One piece rod or multiple?
I am going to be getting a bore guide with a rod stop.
Jags or loop tips?

What solvents do you all use?  I have got Hoppe's, Hoppe's Benchrest and Truly remarkable bore cleaner from midwayUSA.  That stuff stinks!

Bang...
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:57
I use Dewey or tipton one piece rods,lucas bore guide, brass pointed jags.
I love (Butch Fisher) Butches bore shine..............yes it smells to.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by Average Joe - March/14/2010 at 19:04
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 19:22
Be sure and get high quality brass brushes, not the cheap junk from Hoppies or Outers. The better reloading supply houses sell the good stuff.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 19:24
the fact that so many different methods and potions exist for cleaning shows that no one way is better than another. start with clean stuff.
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 19:27
What brand of brush would you suggest?

One piece it is, with a bore guide.

Bang...
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 19:29
Dewey makes brushes too
I'm classic shag nasty type.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 20:38
Anyone who cares about their rifles will use a one piece cleaning rod (preferably coated if using a steel one) carbon fiber, other makes and good quality brushes.  When you say quality brushes you get what you pay for, I love dewey brushes
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 20:43
Originally posted by armyhooah armyhooah wrote:

What brand of brush would you suggest?One piece it is, with a bore guide.

Places like Sinclair International, Brunno's Shooting Supply sell the ones I'm referring to.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 23:08
Originally posted by armyhooah armyhooah wrote:

I am looking for information on the best process for cleaning a precision rifle.

To clean a precision rifle the best way to do it is to clean it the same way you would clean a normal rifle.....sorry I couldn't resist Smoking Bandit
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 23:58
I recommend the 1 piece, red handled Dewey cleaning rods for sure...pricey but really good quality. I also recommend Pro Shot bore guides...just make sure you get the right one to fit your make of gun. As for bore cleaners, try Hoppe's #9, G96 Bore Solvent or Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV.

I think my brushes, mops and jags were Pro Shot again but not sure.
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 08:00
I've found that Pro-Shot makes a great (one piece) cleaning rod as well as excellent brushes. My jags are made by Larry Allred at LAPA and are David E. Wick type (try these and you'll never use another brand). Bore guide... either a Sinclair or a Sinclair type from Possum Hollow. I use Shooter's Choice for regular cleaning and Sweet's after a long round of shooting, followed by Shooter's Choice to neutralize. 
.204 Because Speed Kills
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 08:09
I use the Tipton carbon fiber rods and Tipton nickle plated jags.  I do use a bore guide for my rifles.  As for the chemicals......well I have tried too many and have given away a lot of stuff.  I still have to much.  I find that I like Wipe-Out, Bore-Tech Eliminator, and Weapon Shield as my primary chems.  You will get many different answers with this question because of the variety that is available.  We all have our preferences. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 08:44
 I personally like and use the Dewey product line for brushes,mops and loops or jags.
 The loop or pointed jag is a preference thing either or doesn't really matter.
 Bore guide find one with universal tips they are as good as any.
 Any of the Hoppes products will work without chasing you out of the house.
 I normally wet patch then dry patch until clean , then wet patck with copper solvent and brush then patch again till clean, then use Hoppes foam and bore snake twice cleans em up real good.
froggy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 09:03
Cleaning chemicals can also be recommended by the manufacture of the rifle or barrel.  Some specifically tell you not to use one or to use another. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:17
There isn't any one right answer here, but regardless of which solvent or combination of solvents and lubricants you use, I do think it is best to use a 1 piece coated rod, always clean starting from the chamber end of the barrel whenever possible, and be careful not to get any dirt/grit on your patches, brushes, rod, etc. when you clean.  I too prefer the Dewey 1 pc rods, and I also prefer jags over loops.  With jags, you get a more even distribution of the patch in contact with the bore, and you don't drag a dirty patch back through the bore with a jag; it falls off the jag once you exit the muzzle and pull the rod back through the bore.

I have heard it's not a good idea to use Teflon based lubricants in a bore, because it creates toxic gases during firing combustion.  I personally like using a 50/50 blend of Shooters Choice and Kroil penetrating oil as my bore cleaner, and occasionally using Wipe Out foam.  I really don't use brushes much, unless I'm removing heavy copper fouling with combination brush/patch passes with JB and/or Sweets.  I use a bore guide whenever possible, and I always try to be careful not to damage the muzzle crown during cleaning.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:21
Ted, if that concerns you, what I do is runs a mop through the bore soaked with Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber or Brake Cleaner to dry the bore.

ps. The only thing I've heard over the years regarding Teflon based products is that the Teflon can build up. Probably a concern raised by the makers of non-Teflon based products.

Edited by Roy Finn - March/15/2010 at 16:27
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:25
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Cleaning chemicals can also be recommended by the manufacture of the rifle or barrel.  Some specifically tell you not to use one or to use another. 

I believe what the barrel makers warn against is leaving bore solvents in the barrel that have ammonia in them. Some also don't like owners using abrasive compounds such as J-B, Rem-Clean or USB bore paste.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:27
Basically what i was saying one actually told me over the phone NOT to use a certain brand even though they couldn't print not to.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:30
Care to share the info and not name the barrel maker? I don't see the harm in that.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:45
Cleaning technique and "barrel break in" is one of those topics that generates so many conflicting claims that I really don't know what to believe.  There are almost as many different methods as there are shooters.  I suspect that few of the "don't ever do this" warnings are really as detrimental as those giving the advice claim.  I really doubt that one can go wrong if you just use a good solvent, clean when your gun tells you it's time to do so, don't leave harsh chemicals in your bore after cleaning, and use a reasonable amount of care to keep from causing bore and muzzle damage during cleaning.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic