OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pics wanted of your custom camo paintjobs...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 14:31
Originally posted by CALL911 CALL911 wrote:

Mike, who is cooker, and what has he done?

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19974&PN=1

Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 14:41
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19974&PN=1Bandito

Yeah, I did see that earlier. It seems he has done multiple layers, and he does have an excellent talent at doing it. His paint job looks great, although it's a bit too many colors for my liking.

I plan on just shooting the stock (not the barrel and scope). And I also plan on just using black and OD green.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 14:46
Go easy on the clear coat....I used krylon od green on an old ramline synthetic I had,and when I put the clear on (Krylon Matte Clear) the second coat turned it a little on the yellow side. Sorry I don't have pics.
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 15:00
^ Good to note.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 16:29
Nice jobs gents...Excellent They look great.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 21:02
Originally posted by CALL911 CALL911 wrote:

The Duracoat stuff looks like it will work well, but honestly, it seems that it is essentially the same process as applying your own top protective coat. It's just that their actual paint is much more durable. After their paint (with hardener) and top coat, it seems that you'll have about $30 before shipping (and it seems that would be just the basics).

Mike, who is cooker, and what has he done?
What I am doing with priming, painting 2 different colors and applying a clear coat cost me all together about $12.

$30 is not much, and if it were a big deal it would be wise to spend it. However I am trying to do it really cheep, and seeing how it will turn out. If it indeed doesn't last, I can always take the paint off and try the duracoat process.

Duracoat is worth it.  It is 5X more durable than any spray can finish you can buy in stores and adheres better to a wider variety of surfaces.  You pay a little more for a finish that looks better, longer and is more resistant to the abuse of years of use.  To me at least, that's a big deal.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 22:20
I am not questioning its ability to work. I am mearly stating that I am attempting to do it for cheeper with a clear coat and regular spray camo paint.

If it indeed doesn't work for me, I will be removing the paint, and going with duracoat. It also will be better for others in the future with either outcome to know if it works or not.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 10:36
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

My Latest....

Purty!!!  Did you do the camo yourself or have it done by someone else?

Is that DuraCoat?
Yes Sir, it's Dura Coat.  I used the ACU colors and added OD Green. 

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 10:48
Here is a duracoat painted gun I painted about 4 years ago.  IT has been through 5 or 6 4 day rifle classes were it really got used and abused.  Dropped, stepped on, drug, etc etc.  It is my ATV gun which means it is tossed onto my gun rack and is bounced around for hours on end on my gun rack.  I have even had it bounce right off my ATV a couple times.  It has seen over 5000 rounds since I painted it.  It was the first duracoat paint job I ever did and knowing what that gun has been through I am very impressed with how well the duracoat has held up.  It might not be the best, but I think it is an extremely good do it yourself paint option.  Rattlecan paint does not even compare. 

Edited by supertool73 - March/22/2010 at 10:56
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 11:00
Looks good for that much abuse.  that duracoat is tough stuff. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 11:03
Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 12:06
That's why they call it DURA coat.... Good stuff for sure. As always there are two schools of thought. One is what will work... The other is what will last... Neither is wrong, just a matter of what fits your own taste, and criteria for being a success. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
vietboy1st View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vietboy1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 23:37
 awesome.  i think i will stick with dura paint and a clear coat for protection. :D
I live to die another day
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 08:07
I didn't paint this one but it's dura coat. I sent it off and had it done. This rifle has been painted a few years and has been beat around ALOT. The dura coat has held up well and no dings or scratches. It is worth the bread you pay to have it done. As rough as I am on stuff it has held up so far. I'm still amazed it has.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 08:18
Nice Bigdaddy!  How that MB work?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 08:20
Its LOUD and works great. My 11 year old can shoot it 40+ times and not think anything about it and I shoot a stiff 200gr acubond load in it. he says it has less recoil than his .243.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 08:22
  If your done playing with it I'd APPRECIATE it if you'd send it back to me.    Bucky

VERY NICE set-up,BD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 08:36
TY, It is a fun one to shoot.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 09:06
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I didn't paint this one but it's dura coat. I sent it off and had it done. This rifle has been painted a few years and has been beat around ALOT. The dura coat has held up well and no dings or scratches. It is worth the bread you pay to have it done. As rough as I am on stuff it has held up so far. I'm still amazed it has.

Nice rig BD. Did you if they used a primer coat before spraying the camo colors? After the camo colors did they use a clear coat?

Thanks,

-Mike

Edited by mike650 - March/24/2010 at 09:09
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 09:59
My efforts look sad and piddly next to all your fine work.

Here are 2 projects, I dura coated, like the finish, very tough, choose the right stencils or it can take the cura coat off too.

If it is for looks alone, rattle can it; if it is for durability, dura coat, no question.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic